[IDEA] lens/body index

Bsmith

hey guys(and girls)!

i just got this pretty idea(awesome if it works out)

how about making a catalog with bodies/lenses we use and/or have experiene with, along with our opinions and quick run through of information, this way we could organize all the topics a bit and allow for easy looking to see if anybody has experiene with it and their opinion, should make it easier when people decide to look for a lens and/or body, asking question's is also always something which is allowed to happen.

so not to much technical stuff or complicated tests, just quick info and usefull stuff for it.

don't be afraid to let me know what you think about this or tag people who might be interested to help along with this, because single handly we can't do alot, but together we can do (nearly) everything.

rough idea of how something would look like.

you just make a new post and put inside what you think that is important, links to pictures(for reference like size) and profesional/indepth reviews are allowed(links, not whole libaries or video lists) and then i will try to make up 2 lists here(atleast) for bodies and lenses, later on seperated lists for things like point and shoots and DSLR's and mirrorless, depending on what content get's posted.

see this spoiler for an idea of how a average index post would look like.

main spec's

lens: Canon zoom lens EF-S 18-200mm 1:3:5-5.6 IS.

brand lens: canon

meant for: canon EOS(DSLR)

lens type: zoom lens

connections

cropframe: yes

full frame: no

filter/sunhood size: 72mm.

imporant info

Image stabalizer: yes

closest focus distance: 0.45m/1.5ft

focal range: 18-200mm

AF: yes

zoomtype: twist(or push/pull the sunhood carefully)

lens used for:

nature, "wildlife"(zoo and birds) low light experiments and party/club photography.

lens used on:

canon eos 1200D/T6i(?)

personal opinion:

a nice sturdy lens which allows for most of your needs to start with, allowing you to do nearly every kind of shooting with a single lens removing the need to swap out lenses, perfect when you are on a tight budget or short on space.

when cropping photo's however chromatic abdoration can become a problem(mostly when behind glass)

might be a bit on the heavy side for a crop lens.

wouldn't recommand this lens to be used at low light conditions when hand held, shutter time quickly reaches 1+second then.

profesional review links:

-you get the point-

people that might be interested to work along with this project:

@ShadowCaptain

@.spider.

@Silvercall

@TheDoubleYGamer

@KirbyTech

@StormtrooperStu

@silentanarchy

feel free to tag more people for this list and forgive me if i forgot anybody.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

This could be a good idea, one thing I would say that should be added is what you used the lens for. Because a 85 1.4 could be for portraits or you could use it for product shots for example. Also think it would be good if a tread was made in the end and pinned for this section. Reason I say a different thread is because then the OP can have all info. I'll see how many lenses I can get my hands on again, I have used almost all of Cannons up to their 400 mm although the new lens is one I have not got my hands on yet, can't seem to find it at a rental house near me.

this can be cool, but there is so many lens, alot which are older and no one usually talks about it cause most people usually recommend AF lenses, cause they don't know other people's skills etc.

This could be a good idea, one thing I would say that should be added is what you used the lens for. Because a 85 1.4 could be for portraits or you could use it for product shots for example. Also think it would be good if a tread was made in the end and pinned for this section. Reason I say a different thread is because then the OP can have all info. I'll see how many lenses I can get my hands on again, I have used almost all of Cannons up to their 400 mm although the new lens is one I have not got my hands on yet, can't seem to find it at a rental house near me.

good idea! knowing for what the lens was used is pretty important aswell, otherwise it still goes wrong, will put it in the template directly.

So if i get it right, a dedicated thread with nothing but the links and names? could be a pretty good idea will try to look into it.

and don't worry to much yet about things listed, its still a idea at the moment, altough it could work out pretty well and be very usefull.

altough i think we need a mod to see this about making it sticky/pinned

this can be cool, but there is so many lens, alot which are older and no one usually talks about it cause most people usually recommend AF lenses, cause they don't know other people's skills etc.

yes there are alot of lenses, this guide/index would only be meant being used for indication and question's about, which could help getting into the lens or when you are looking for a lens with specific means, overtime it will grow but let's not forget, AF is nearly standard these days altough the older MF lenses are still good when people are looking for a cheaper solution.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.