updated bios now cpu overheats

Stupidmonkey110

I updated my bios to the newest version now the reported cpu temps are double what they have been for the last 2 years of stable use. I have confirmed that all system fans and pumps are still running as normal. I have reverted to default motherboard settings and no change. here are the system specs if anyone has any ideas.

Asus Sabertooth z87 - new bios is 2103

i5 4670k - back at stock speeds, only used to have a very small OC

16gb RAM

Corsair AX860i psu

780 GTX GPU

Corsair H100i cooler

Corsair 500D case fully loaded with fans

Windows 7 64-bit

I updated my bios to the newest version now the reported cpu temps are double what they have been for the last 2 years of stable use. I have confirmed that all system fans and pumps are still running as normal. I have reverted to default motherboard settings and no change. here are the system specs if anyone has any ideas.

Asus Sabertooth z87 - new bios is 2103

i5 4670k - back at stock speeds, only used to have a very small OC

16gb RAM

Corsair AX860i psu

780 GTX GPU

Corsair H100i cooler

Corsair 500D case fully loaded with fans

Windows 7 64-bit

What was the reason for the update in the first place?

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

What was the reason for the update in the first place?

Was having issues with a USB device driver and as part of troubleshooting said driver saw that there was a new bios for my motherboard.

Check voltage?

PSU voltages are rock stable. core voltages appear to be normal and have always been set to auto on my motherboard.

Was having issues with a USB device driver and as part of troubleshooting said driver saw that there was a new bios for my motherboard.

PSU voltages are rock stable. core voltages appear to be normal and have always been set to auto on my motherboard.

What temperature monitoring program are you using? Try using Real temp, because after a quick search programs that come with Asus motherboards sometimes incorrectly show temps.

What temperature monitoring program are you using? Try using Real temp, because after a quick search programs that come with Asus motherboards sometimes incorrectly show temps.

All the temp reporting tools i have tried all report the same temps as the ones the motherboard report in the Bios.

I think that the bios changed how the temp probes are read.

Should i try flashing back to the old bios?

All the temp reporting tools i have tried all report the same temps as the ones the motherboard report in the Bios.

I think that the bios changed how the temp probes are read.

Should i try flashing back to the old bios?

Go for it. As the saying goes with bios: 

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Go for it. As the saying goes with bios: 

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Ok i reflashed back to bios 1405 and it is still reporting 60C temps in the bios with the motherboard defaults loaded. cpu volage is reported at 1.040V.

Something must have borked a temp sensor, only thing that makes sense.

after some more poking about i have noticed that the outlet tube out of the pump on the H100i is definately hotter then i remember it feeling. but the other tube is cool so the water must be flowing. I wonder if maybe i may be having issues with the pump on the cooler. there is no odd noise but the green and blue LED have stopped working. the reported temps from the pump are very close to the reported cpu temps. so strange that things changed so suddenly and at the same time. after loading the CPU does anyone notice if one of the tubes on the H100i is quite a bit hotter then the other?

so gave up last night. this morning i booted up the system and it got to desktop and then shutoff. turned it back on and got a power surge bios error. wondering if something is causing voltage issues that is then causing excessive heat. I will be pulling the whole system apart today and doing a physical inspection and trying the stock cpu cooler to see if any differences.

ok, so i put the stock intel cooler back on. at idle temps were low 30's, at load in games mid to high 40's were reported. I am going to call the issue as the corsair H100i. just pure luck i guess that the issue happened at the same time as i was doing a bios update.