GPU lifespan. Fan speed or high temperature.

I've always been mental about the temperatures of my PC components, and after filling up my PC case with fans I have one last question considering the GPU temperature.

I've bought a Gigabyte G1 GTX 970, which I don't really need right now (or at least all of it's performance), and I thought of it as at least a little future-proof purchase. So, trying to maximize it's lifespan (can't really afford spending 400+ every 2 years for a new GPU), what should I focus on?

Since I don't have a lot of time to actually game on it at the moment (I will in a few months), it's mostly idling at 30 degrees celsius while I code, with the fans at 35% (minimum I can set it to without BIOS hacking etc.). For gaming, the fan curve is set to about 65% speed for when it gets over 60C. With these settings it never gets over 65 degrees C and 65% fan speed.

So basically, the question is - should I aim for higher temperatures and lower fan speeds (sound doesn't matter), or vice-versa for the longevity of the GPU? Or maybe it would actually make sense to BIOS hack the GPU to set the fans to 0% so they won't degrade at all? I've actually heard that most of the time the GPU fans die before something goes wrong with the chip itself.

Any information you can provide me with is appreciated, trying to find out as much as possible about this.

Thank You.

wtf text color change half way through?

leave everything default, it will last 5 years or better.

don't worry about fans man.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Fans can be replaced 

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

Fans are a salvageable part, you could easily replace it with something like an AIO cooler if you can't find a replacement. The first thing to go that is considered a death sentence is the pcb. Traces that don't connect anymore due to a multitude of reasons. Either by drying out, breaking, lifted of the board as the substrate expand and shrinks. Transistors, resistors etc. usually hold out a bit longer.

So i'd say keep it cool. However your premise is flawed. Brands like EVGA offer a 5-year warranty. Which is a bit of a wax nose. Your card will be ancient when it finally reaches that 5 year mark, earlier than it may degrade under normal circumstances. Whatever maintenance you chose now will have virtually no effect. If it doesn't die before it gets time to degrade you might have stretched it's lifespan to let's say 7 years. Technology goes fast, it's not something you salvage. You 'consume' it, for it's not worth preserving. Even though it might be logical for you to think that way. Since apparently you care very much about it,  probably because it cost a lot of money. Regardless, whatever you do now is ultimately negligible. 

Except when you turn off the fans all together. That's just *snip* unwise. 

Ask yourself whats more important? The price of a gpu fan which is easily replacable or the actual gpu? My blower 780 is set to. 80% @ 60c, sometimes max, It has endured max overvoltage, overclocks, useless mining running maxed for hours, benchmarks, furmarks, gaming, etc. Still running like NIB probably due to my aggressive fan curve. Card rarely sees 70c. And never throttles. Fuck those fans bruh. Keep her cool.

Steam and origins ID: Erebus305

Didn't know it's so 'easy' to replace Windforce fans, thanks for the insight guys :) I thought you cannot actually replace them, thus making them the limiting factor of the GPU's lifespan.

• 2 years later...

my gtx 970 was with factory settings at 79°C target temp, so i dont think its too big of a deal. The bigger problem is the gpu lifespan and not fan lifespan, i am pretty sure that my card wont survive 3 years of daily gaming if i set  a target temp of 90°C or higher