Advice, projects etc.

thefatshizms

Okay so here's the deal. I can program in a few languages, such as php, C and C++ but I have a problem. I've never really "stuck" to a language, as in never tried to "master" a language (I have on scripting languages but that's much simpler). I think my main problem is projects.

When I was learning to script, I knew what I wanted to make and it was within my range of knowledge and understanding (and so wasn't completely confused).

I want to focus on C/C++ programming, but I can't really think of a program project which will interest me, teach me knew stuff and isn't too "easy". I want to do game engine programming in the future, but at this point in time I'd say its far too complex for me to do. Does anyone have any suggestions on projects based in C/C++? Not something too easy but within my grasp and that will teach me a thing or two.

To let you know what kind of level I'm at with C/C++, I can (and have) made things such as irc bots (Sockets), small directx applications (very small, things like texture mapping onto a cube) and I also started making a webserver.

Roll your own framework. It can be as simple or complex as you want and has the potential to teach you nearly everything about OOP and software design.

I did start doing that, but for Direct X 11. What framework would you recommend?

I did start doing that, but for Direct X 11. What framework would you recommend?

Create a game engine, or level editor of sorts,

create a bit of everything, and then improve on each part.

Create a basic terrain editor, particle system, animation system, shader editor, then go back to the terrain editor and add advanced tools, give particle system a unique option you can't find in other engines.

Do something you can build up upon potentially infinitely.

I would love to do that and it was my initial thought but I lack both the time and knowledge to program something so big (due to it being near the end of my academic year and duedates are creeping up on me).

I would love to do that and it was my initial thought but I lack both the time and knowledge to program something so big (due to it being near the end of my academic year and duedates are creeping up on me

The point of the big thing it to come back to it when you have some free time knowing there's stuff to do.

IF you make a calculator everytime you have spare 2 hours you won't learn 2 much.

That's very true. Maybe I'll start making an engine again but obviously take my time.

That's very true. Maybe I'll start making an engine again but obviously take my time.

Pro tip, quote people you're talking to so they get a notification :D

But yeah, working on something very scalable is a good idea, just pick your favorite area and don't rush it, It's not coursework.

Pro tip, quote people you're talking to so they get a notification :D

But yeah, working on something very scalable is a good idea, just pick your favorite area and don't rush it, It's not coursework.

Thanks for the advice. I love all areas of game engine architecture, so making a fully fledged engine would probably be my best bet.

Thanks for the advice. I love all areas of game engine architecture, so making a fully fledged engine would probably be my best bet.

Yea basically since you have some basics of directX, create simple 3d game. Create tools for that game such as weapon editor (basically similar to level editor, bud few interesting things has to be added, and e.t.c) then improve on graphics.  Try to do AI.  Try to implement visual coding principle such as Unreal Engine have .  There is milion fifteen hundred thousand one hundred twenty one things you can do.

Just choose.

And it isn't that hard :) 

Yea basically since you have some basics of directX, create simple 3d game. Create tools for that game such as weapon editor (basically similar to level editor, bud few interesting things has to be added, and e.t.c) then improve on graphics.  Try to do AI.  Try to implement visual coding principle such as Unreal Engine have .  There is milion fifteen hundred thousand one hundred twenty one things you can do.

Just choose.

And it isn't that hard :)

I'm not a big fan of the while visual coding scene, but I'll give it a shot :)

Also, game programming/game engine programming is considered one of the hardest (if not hardest) thing to do programming wise.

Also, game programming/game engine programming is considered one of the hardest (if not hardest) thing to do programming wise.

Yeah, afaik, it's the only section of programming that requires such levels of optimizations and hacks to get shit to work well. Look up square root in Quake. And on the other side, one rule I embrace: If game is broken equally for all players, it's fair game.

Yeah, afaik, it's the only section of programming that requires such levels of optimizations and hacks to get shit to work well. Look up square root in Quake. And on the other side, one rule I embrace: If game is broken equally for all players, it's fair game.

That's really cool, I didn't know about that. Thanks for telling me about that :)

I've only just remembered I have books on my shelf next to me written by professionals on game engine architecture and graphics programming as well as a huge book on C++ by Bjarne stroustrup (I think that's how you spell his name) so I have a few pieces of material to get me rolling again.

That's really cool, I didn't know about that. Thanks for telling me about that :)

I've only just remembered I have books on my shelf next to me written by professionals on game engine architecture and graphics programming as well as a huge book on C++ by Bjarne stroustrup (I think that's how you spell his name) so I have a few pieces of material to get me rolling again.

The more you know :D Same goes for avoiding square roots by comparing squared distances etc.

Programming can be so much fun till you get stuck on that 1 problem for a week that turns out to be a wrong variable used because you have speed and Speed somewhere by mistake :D

Look up Ogre3D, it's a good place to see how modern object oriented engines can look, with a major update coming soon as well.

I am not fan of vis. Coding either, of course. But from the perspective of a guy ho codes the visual coding feature, that can really be some adventure in that :)