Lenovo Y510p vs ASUS G55

Go to solution Solved by b1ack1otus,

I personally like the Lenovo brand over the Asus for laptops. but both specs are pretty good.

One thing I would recommend to help you with deciding is the warranty that comes with both computer. 

I have a lenovo thinkpad and their customer service is very good. I never contacted asus customer support/service, so I'm not to sure about this. Look it up and see what others have to offer.

Since it's a gaming laptop, I'm assuming battery life won't matter for you as well. But if it does, check and see which one will last longer.

And I believe Hashwell is much better on battery life than IB.

Also, someone told me before that lenovo is a good brand because it's quiet and keeps the laptop quite cool. (don't quote me on that, but my thinkpad is very quiet and cool) ... not too sure for it's gaming brand.

Hi guys :)

I'm looking for a laptop as I'm going to college this fall and at first I got my eye on the Acer Aspire v3-772G but after reading a few reviews I saw it overheats a lot and this does not work for me, as I don't see the point in buying a beast CPU that you cannot use. Now I have two choices and am not sure which one is better. In Bulgaria they are priced nearly. No matter the choice, I will go with either an NGFF SSD on the Y510p (when they come out in Bulgaria) or with SSH for the G55.

I want your opinion on the matter because I know the G55 won't overheat, but the Y510p has Haswell and SLI. And if someone has it, could you please tell me if there is a temperature problem?

Because there are a lot different model out there, here is what I'm looking at:

ASUS G55

i7-3630QM

12GB 1600mhz RAM

GTX 660M

750GB + 128GB SSH

Lenovo Y510p

i7-4700MQ

8GB 1600mhz RAM

GT 750M SLI

1TB HDD

an NGFF slot that I will populate myself

Both displays are Full HD matte.

There is actually an option for the Y510p with one GT 750M (which is obviously cheaper) and as I have seen from reviews so far, the SLI doesn't scale a lot but I believe Nvidia will fix that at some point.

My reasons to choose the Y510p is that it is lighter, thinner, has Haswell and SLI and reportedly has better battery life, which is important to me. But I'm not sure that it is capable of dissipating that much heat. Any opinions, experiences, ideas and thoughts are welcome :) Thanks in advance!

I personally like the Lenovo brand over the Asus for laptops. but both specs are pretty good.

One thing I would recommend to help you with deciding is the warranty that comes with both computer. 

I have a lenovo thinkpad and their customer service is very good. I never contacted asus customer support/service, so I'm not to sure about this. Look it up and see what others have to offer.

Since it's a gaming laptop, I'm assuming battery life won't matter for you as well. But if it does, check and see which one will last longer.

And I believe Hashwell is much better on battery life than IB.

Also, someone told me before that lenovo is a good brand because it's quiet and keeps the laptop quite cool. (don't quote me on that, but my thinkpad is very quiet and cool) ... not too sure for it's gaming brand.

Go with the Lenovo. For gaming it will be better and will still have useable battery life.  Only thing I would do is to pull out the 1Tb hdd and put in an ssd unless you plan on populating that extra slot with one.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

Thank you both. You really helped me make my decision. I'll stick to the Lenovo and because I would need the storage, but can't actually afford 512GB SSD, I'll go with an SSH on it. NGFFs have no release date and will definitely not be cheap enough for 128GB (or even 64GB for caching) for me to buy. :)