Have a question about the macbooks!

getrekt

Why do most people buy macbooks as portable editing workstations as they can get a better specced windows laptop for the same price?

Just asking don't h8 m8

Why do most people buy macbooks as portable editing workstations as they can get a better specced windows laptop for the same price?

Just asking don't h8 m8

Assuming you mean Macbook pro's, Windows laptops at the same price point will have better performance, both processing AND graphics wise. Mac's are not bad for productivity, most of the time. If you are refering to the new Macbook retina, that think is nothing more than a foldable ipad.

Project Tomahawk:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i

Memory: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866 Mhz

GPU: Asus Strix RX 480

PSU: Corsair RM1000

Storage: 2x Western Digital 2TB Enterprise + 240GB Crucial M500 SSD

Case: Corsair Air 540

Additional: Cablemod C-Series black/red kit, SP120, AF140 and AF140 w/ red LED's all around

Project Frankenstein:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX 6100

Motherboard: MSI 970 SLI Krait Edition

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Memory: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1866 Mhz

GPU: MSI R9 280 3G Twin Frozr

PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W

Storage: Western Digital 1TB Enterprise + 240GB Partiot Torch SSD

Case: Fractal Design Define S

Sheila (Server):

Spoiler

Dell R210:
CPU: Intel Xeon x3450

Memory: 12GB Crucial ECC 1600 Mhz

Storage: Seagate 3TB Constellation 

Marvin (Server)

Spoiler

Dell R210ii

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1230v2

Memory: 12GB Crucial ECC 1600Mhz

Storage: Seagate 3TB Constellation

Assuming you mean Macbook pro's, Windows laptops at the same price point will have better performance, both processing AND graphics wise. Mac's are not bad for productivity, most of the time. If you are refering to the new Macbook retina, that think is nothing more than a foldable ipad.

Yup the macbook pros

Are the applications optimised for the hardware (less variables)?

Most people don't buy the new MacBook as a portable editing workstation. As for the rMBP I bought mine as a portable editing workstation because I had the money, it had good specs and it was the only thing at the time with a decent screen. On top of that most Adobe applications just run better on OS X, no doubt about that.

With a lot of professional photographers and videotographers it is because that is what they are used too, they have had them before and dont want to change. They need something portable as they are usually on the go... They used to be an industry standard and not having one was a disadvantage to you because certain file formats etc wouldnt work on other devises (Mainly looking at the word/ excel and the old mac equivalents).

Most people don't buy the new MacBook as a portable editing workstation. As for the rMBP I bought mine as a portable editing workstation because I had the money, it had good specs and it was the only thing at the time with a decent screen. On top of that most Adobe applications just run better on OS X, no doubt about that.

So it will crush a similarly priced windows laptop?

With a lot of professional photographers and videotographers it is because that is what they are used too, they have had them before and dont want to change. They need something portable as they are usually on the go... They used to be an industry standard and not having one was a disadvantage to you because certain file formats etc wouldnt work on other devises (Mainly looking at the word/ excel and the old mac equivalents).

So people buy them for legacy!? :|

Marketing, looks, and some people prefer OSX. I don't really understand why anyone would want a macbook, but then again I'm most certainly not the target customer for them. Maybe @ShadowCaptain can tell you more.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

So it will crush a similarly priced windows laptop?

No, not at all. Most likely the other way around.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Marketing, looks, and some people prefer OSX. I don't really understand why anyone would want a macbook, but then again I'm most certainly not the target customer for them. Maybe @ShadowCaptain can tell you more.

What would you consider as a comparable product?

At the time that I bought my Macbook Air (Mid-2013), it was the cheapest, best specced ultrabook on the market. OSX is pretty nice to use once you get used to it (takes about 15 minutes) and everything just plan works. It did everything I asked of it and was pretty darn quick about. Plus it ran the games I was playing at the time without issue (WoW/LoL).

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon

No, not at all. Most likely the other way around.

You just said that you don't know why anyone would want a macbook but now you are saying that macbooks will crush windows laptops..........?

EDIT I read it the other way around sorry!

So people buy them for legacy!? :|

People buy them because that is what they are used too... It would be like taking someone who knows windows through and through and dropping them onto Ubuntu... 

The most compareable product I can think of is a Razer Blade laptop. You are paying a lot for the design style of the laptop itself as it is a fashion piece aswell as a laptop...

At the time that I bought my Macbook Air (Mid-2013), it was the cheapest, best specced ultrabook on the market. OSX is pretty nice to use once you get used to it (takes about 15 minutes) and everything just plan works. It did everything I asked of it and was pretty darn quick about. Plus it ran the games I was playing at the time without issue (WoW/LoL).

For gaming and editing and 3d work what would be better? Mbp or some windows laptop

People buy them because that is what they are used too... It would be like taking someone who knows windows through and through and dropping them onto Ubuntu...

The most compareable product I can think of is a Razer Blade laptop. You are paying a lot for the design style of the laptop itself as it is a fashion piece aswell as a laptop...

Aren't MSI and gigabyte laptops thin too?

Lenovo for example makes portable workstations with quad core i7s and nvidia quadros in them for less than 1.2k: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/w-series/w550s/#tab-tech_specs granted it's a bit bulkier, but not by too much, and it makes up for it in power. It's not something I personally would have a problem carrying around if I was an editor, but hey.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

For gaming and editing and 3d work what would be better? Mbp or some windows laptop

Windows laptop for gaming, either for editing and 3D (depending on what OS your CAD software supports). Major thing you'll find with the Windows laptop is manufacturer bloatware. Whatever you go for, make sure it has an SSD.

Surely the experience is subjective, much like art?

Pretty much.

I found transitioning from Windows to OSX a very easy process, going back the other way however, was a downright pain. SO MANY shortcuts were missing, was a real pain. Plus scrolling the other way. ._.

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon

Just asking don't h8 m8

Build quality is very good, they're thin, lightweight, everything is tuned up. Also they have long battery life (up to 12 hours for my macbook air), even when u use them quite hard.

EDIT (add): I use it for both work and entertaining, very useful to carry outside and sort\edit photos 'in the field'.

Surely the experience is subjective, much like art?

That is true to some degree yes, however I feel that everyone who gives OS X a fair chance (ie. lets go of their hate and actually tries it) will find it a much more pleasant experience than Windows.

That is true to some degree yes, however I feel that everyone who gives OS X a fair chance (ie. lets go of their hate and actually tries it) will find it a much more pleasant experience than Windows.

I don't like the iMac's OSx (using mac as a workstation), also don't like this new 'yosemite', that kills MacBooks.

Still, macbook with 'mavericks' makes me happy. I'd say, every tech needs it's own OS to run better.

Just asking don't h8 m8

Because macbooks offer enough power for photo and video editing in a very nice slim package, with excellent reliability, build quality and amazing battery life

There is some great software available for OSX and I find it handles photo and video tasks better than windows (at a software level I mean)

They also look professional and smart when visiting clients etc

I found transitioning from Windows to OSX a very easy process, going back the other way however, was a downright pain. SO MANY shortcuts were missing, was a real pain. Plus scrolling the other way. ._.

You can scroll either way on a mac, just like windows

and there are just as many if not MORE shortcuts for OSX

just saying

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I have never really understood the hate between the software packages. I have used OSX, Windows and Linus and they are all a much of a muchness. They each have their own shortcuts and shortfalls but they are about the same to me. (or is it just because I don't really give a shit...)