What to prioritise?

I am starting my own first PC build and while i have helped build my friends ones, it was their money for their rig, and now its my money for my rig and my wallet isnt exactly overflowing...

What i was wondering is this: What parts deserve/require more money thrown at them, cause i can spend max £700, but only if it seriously worth it, i would rather something closer to the £600 mark.

All the builds i have done that i would actually use all fall between £600 and £700, but i usually am left having to decide what part can have some money skimped off it. Have a look at my saved pc part picker builds and tell me what good is and what isnt soo good.

I will be using the PC for a mix of rendering, gaming, progam compiling (nothing serious yet) and desktop work like documents and internet.

I have been using the i5 4690k in all of the builds i am considering, is it overkill?

A PCPartPicker list with your own suggestions for a £600 / £700 multipurpose gaming/rendering/compliling would be highly appreciated and helpful!! Using google that works out at 889USD to 1037USD, basicly 890USD to 1040USD, but stick to the lower limit!? (1111CAD-1296CAD)

Thanks in advance, Matt

CPU

GPU

MOBO

RAM

CASE

PSU

i'm pretty ignant when it comes to PSUs wattage is the only thing i really care about.

and you can upgrade cases anytime, they last forever.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

thanks both @d3sl91 and @ for those, but does anyone have any suggested builds or know of someone elses within my price bracket?

thanks both @d3sl91 and @ for those, but does anyone have any suggested builds or know of someone elses within my price bracket?

if you want a good build suggestion from the LTT community start a thread asking for one, make sure you include these things:

1)what you're using it for (gaming, video editing, streaming, etc.)

2) budget and currency.

3) preferences ("i want this case" or "it needs to be all blue")

the i5 you want isn't overkill.

post what you have already and see what others suggest about tweaking.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

I am starting my own first PC build and while i have helped build my friends ones, it was their money for their rig, and now its my money for my rig and my wallet isnt exactly overflowing...

What i was wondering is this: What parts deserve/require more money thrown at them, cause i can spend max £700, but only if it seriously worth it, i would rather something closer to the £600 mark.

All the builds i have done that i would actually use all fall between £600 and £700, but i usually am left having to decide what part can have some money skimped off it. Have a look at my saved pc part picker builds and tell me what good is and what isnt soo good.

I will be using the PC for a mix of rendering, gaming, progam compiling (nothing serious yet) and desktop work like documents and internet.

I have been using the i5 4690k in all of the builds i am considering, is it overkill?

A PCPartPicker list with your own suggestions for a £600 / £700 multipurpose gaming/rendering/compliling would be highly appreciated and helpful!! Using google that works out at 889USD to 1037USD, basicly 890USD to 1040USD, but stick to the lower limit!? (1111CAD-1296CAD)

Thanks in advance, Matt

The main thing I am having a problem with trying to make a build is the CPU, because you said you would like to do Rendering and such with it, so having a good CPU is well worth it.

At the same time, if you want to do gaming at 1080p 60fps with High+ settings, then you really need a better graphics card.

Your build looks great btw, I think you have tweaked it so well, that many others might have a hard time with recommendations.

How do you feel about buying a Low Cost CPU that you will eventually upgrade, and get the really good GPU now?

I feel like this will save you money more than buying a 960, which will not give you 1080p 60fps High+ settings.

So, What do you think of...

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/rxc2nQ

The idea behind this would be to buy a basic CPU that you don't need a cooler for, but can overclock to all hell.

And when you get the money up. upgrade to the i5-4690k with the EVO cooler.

you will not have to upgrade your graphics card with the 970, or try to do sli. (honestly could save some money on the motherboard this way)

I tried to stick close to your original build.

Later on down the road the 4690k and cooler would cost you 198 euro. (sorry dont have the symbol)

But thats better than having to buy a second 960 or upgrade to a better card. potentially 170 euro.

Notes: The build I said has a graphics card Brand that is on the more expensive side, so you could save money by getting a different brand.

7800X3D - MSI B650 MAG Tomahawk - 32GB 6000mhz CL30 - Gigabyte 3080 TI - 2TB NVME - 1000w PSU - ID Cooling 240mm AIO

It just barely breaks the budget. :wacko:  but...

Ditched the cooler for now, you can run stock speeds until you get the money for a cooler.

Cheaper motherboard, but still z97. It DOES NOT support sli, but you wont need to sli, cause 970 is a great card.

The SSD i chose shows it has better speeds for the same storage at a lower price.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/ZLsqgs

With this build, you would just need to save up for a cooler before you overclock.

Edit:

Looking over the 2 options, I think I like the first one I sent better.

The build is more focused on gaming then rendering though.

7800X3D - MSI B650 MAG Tomahawk - 32GB 6000mhz CL30 - Gigabyte 3080 TI - 2TB NVME - 1000w PSU - ID Cooling 240mm AIO

Thanks in advance, Matt

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qt7zRB
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qt7zRB/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($239.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock B85 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($59.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($96.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($49.97 @ NCIX US) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($44.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($189.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Raidmax Helios ATX-819WB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($48.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $760.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-07 23:44 EDT-0400

Pretty sure something like this would make you happy

EDIT: the reason for Xeon is you want to edit and it has 8 threads. It games well and if you are gaming at 1080p all you need is this 280x. Rest is pretty standard. Mobo was picked only because it's reliable and has 4 ram slots for ram upgrade if you need it. By the time this thing is obsolete we'll be on a new socket anyway too so a z97 isn't a great idea if you don't need to overclock (which you don't on this Xeon).

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

The main thing I am having a problem with trying to make a build is the CPU, because you said you would like to do Rendering and such with it, so having a good CPU is well worth it.

At the same time, if you want to do gaming at 1080p 60fps with High+ settings, then you really need a better graphics card.

Your build looks great btw, I think you have tweaked it so well, that many others might have a hard time with recommendations.

How do you feel about buying a Low Cost CPU that you will eventually upgrade, and get the really good GPU now?

I feel like this will save you money more than buying a 960, which will not give you 1080p 60fps High+ settings.

So, What do you think of...

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/rxc2nQ

The idea behind this would be to buy a basic CPU that you don't need a cooler for, but can overclock to all hell.

And when you get the money up. upgrade to the i5-4690k with the EVO cooler.

you will not have to upgrade your graphics card with the 970, or try to do sli. (honestly could save some money on the motherboard this way)

I tried to stick close to your original build.

Later on down the road the 4690k and cooler would cost you 198 euro. (sorry dont have the symbol)

But thats better than having to buy a second 960 or upgrade to a better card. potentially 170 euro.

Notes: The build I said has a graphics card Brand that is on the more expensive side, so you could save money by getting a different brand.

Thanks, i am now torn... Thankfully i wont be playing at top notch specs @ 60fps, but the 970 is future proof... but i would hold off buying the pentium, while it is saving more than buying a 960... any previous generation cards that are good value, say the 760. I have been using onboard graphics since i got my laptop (i5 2410m w/ HD3000), so anything is an upgrade, but i am aiming to save money.

Thanks alot, Matt

(its pounds, Shift+3 for me, probs Shift+4 for you)

It just barely breaks the budget. :wacko:  but...

Ditched the cooler for now, you can run stock speeds until you get the money for a cooler.

Cheaper motherboard, but still z97. It DOES NOT support sli, but you wont need to sli, cause 970 is a great card.

The SSD i chose shows it has better speeds for the same storage at a lower price.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/ZLsqgs

With this build, you would just need to save up for a cooler before you overclock.

Edit:

Looking over the 2 options, I think I like the first one I sent better.

The build is more focused on gaming then rendering though.

Ehh, i like this one, but ima gonna wanna wait a bit. I chose the sandisk for my own build because i did alot of research before getting my laptop SSD and found kingston had been putting older/worse permormance parts into their SSD's, more here and here, so i went for the sandisk just for a pound more. I was only keeping the SLI board because i thought i would dual SLI the 960 around christmas time when i have more money. Would two 960's in SLI be better than a 970? or should i wait it out using on board graphics? Bear in mind the onboard graphics on that are better than my laptops anyway...

Motherboard: ASRock B85 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($59.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($44.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($48.98 @ Newegg) 

EDIT: the reason for Xeon is you want to edit and it has 8 threads. It games well and if you are gaming at 1080p all you need is this 280x. Rest is pretty standard. Mobo was picked only because it's reliable and has 4 ram slots for ram upgrade if you need it. By the time this thing is obsolete we'll be on a new socket anyway too so a z97 isn't a great idea if you don't need to overclock (which you don't on this Xeon).

Nice build, apart from the fact it isnt overclockable, but i would have intel Xeon bragging rights... Also the R9 280x is the go to card for performance/pound ratio, but i chose the NVIDIA because i have a shield tablet and game stream, also because they would appear to last longer/better quality. I might be wrong, thats why im asking!

Thanks either way, i will look into that build, and the 8 thread will be useful, especially in the future once games are written to take advantage af them!

EDIT: I think it might be a bit over budget

Thanks, i am now torn... Thankfully i wont be playing at top notch specs @ 60fps, but the 970 is future proof... but i would hold off buying the pentium, while it is saving more than buying a 960... any previous generation cards that are good value, say the 760. I have been using onboard graphics since i got my laptop (i5 2410m w/ HD3000), so anything is an upgrade, but i am aiming to save money.

Thanks alot, Matt

(its pounds, Shift+3 for me, probs Shift+4 for you)

$ = Shift+4

Sorry I named your currency incorrectly, I'm an American fail hard noob. :/

Are you interested in AMD Graphics cards? You might be able to get something better than a 960 that is also cheaper than the 960.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/mjnc7P

The money saved here was from the motherboard. The mohterboard is still z97, and IS crossfire compatible. just under 700 pounds.

and if that is too much, just downgrade the graphics card by 1... and get this...

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Ww36dC

You could always buy a second graphics card later to increase game performance, and your motherboard is SLI ready. (might have to upgrade your PSU though when you go crossfire.)

Edit:

All of the above is irreverent now that I see you have a shield and will not be using AMD.

Edit:

All of the above is irreverent now that I see you have a shield and will not be using AMD.

@vSyNd1c4t3 +1 and sorry for the time wasted looking at that :D

This seems like a great option really, you said that USD was $890-$1040. From what I read it's $817usd.

Just change the graphics card to Nvidia. (still trying to push that 970 on you) xD

maybe lower the Ram till you get the money for an upgrade.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rYWxjX= $889usd

idk man, my brain is rattled.

In the end, I think you really tweaked your build enough before you even came to the forums to ask for advice. Like i said b4, it looks really good.

This seems like a great option really, you said that USD was $890-$1040. From what I read it's $817usd.

Just change the graphics card to Nvidia. (still trying to push that 970 on you) xD

maybe lower the Ram till you get the money for an upgrade.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rYWxjX= $889usd

idk man, my brain is rattled.

In the end, I think you really tweaked your build enough before you even came to the forums to ask for advice. Like i said b4, it looks really good.

Yea, unfortunalty it appears i get charged more for the same parts... http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/phKY7Pis the xeon build with a 970 and cheaper memory. I have quite often found parts cheaper from places like newegg which arent listed by PCPartPicker. What are you thoughts on getting a 960 now and then SLI later, around christmas. Or maybe getting a last gen gtx like the 760??

Yea, unfortunalty it appears i get charged more for the same parts... http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/phKY7Pis the xeon build with a 970 and cheaper memory. I have quite often found parts cheaper from places like newegg which arent listed by PCPartPicker. What are you thoughts on getting a 960 now and then SLI later, around christmas. Or maybe getting a last gen gtx like the 760??

ah, i see. sorry to hear that.

Here are some benchmarks of the graphics cards.

Skip to 8:00

2x 960s seems to be a little better than a 970, but you will get lower ram in the end, and it will cost more overall.

I wouldn't go with old tech. more power consumption and runs hotter. idk though, it could be worth it.

The lower the budget the tougher the job of producing a well balanced system for the intended use.

In a mostly gaming system, gpu is by far the most important component. That said, the other components still have to provide reasonably good performance just to keep the gpu fed.

In a general use system. One good at browsing, wp, etc., the cpu and storage speeds make a bigger difference.

Rendering system needs depend on the software being used. But in general important components are cpu and memory size (not speed), followed by gpu, then storage speed.

On Intel platforms, overclocking is more of a hobby than a serious contributor to performance. Except at the high end of things where overclocking may provide a little more performance.

Taking all this into account, the following build uses a locked Intel cpu. It will provide excellent performance for the usage described in the OP. A decent motherboard. Nothing fancy, but will do a good job. The 2x4GB memory kit was chosen as much because of the color match to the motherboard as its decent speed and sub-timings. An inexpensive but good size ssd will provide excellent storage speed for booting, system work, program and file loads/saves. An inexpensive 1TB drive for storing media and other data. The R9 270X will provide for reasonable gaming. This was the "big" compromise. A good case and solid psu round out the build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£144.00 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£64.09 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£51.39 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: OCZ ARC 100 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£67.99 @ Dabs)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£38.34 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 270X 2GB DirectCU II Video Card  (£132.98 @ Novatech)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  (£32.86 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£58.73 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £590.38
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-08 06:00 BST+0100

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

The lower the budget the tougher the job of producing a well balanced system for the intended use. In a mostly gaming system, gpu is by far the most important component. That said, the other components still have to provide reasonably good performance just to keep the gpu fed. In a general use system. One good at browsing, wp, etc., the cpu and storage speeds make a bigger difference. Rendering system needs depend on the software being used. But in general important components are cpu and memory size (not speed), followed by gpu, then storage speed. On Intel platforms, overclocking is more of a hobby than a serious contributor to performance. Except at the high end of things where overclocking may provide a little more performance. Taking all this into account, the following build uses a locked Intel cpu. It will provide excellent performance for the usage described in the OP. A decent motherboard. Nothing fancy, but will do a good job. The 2x4GB memory kit was chosen as much because of the color match to the motherboard as its decent speed and sub-timings. An inexpensive but good size ssd will provide excellent storage speed for booting, system work, program and file loads/saves. An inexpensive 1TB drive for storing media and other data. The R9 270X will provide for reasonable gaming. This was the "big" compromise. A good case and solid psu round out the build. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchantCPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£144.00 @ Novatech)Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£64.09 @ Amazon UK)Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£51.39 @ Amazon UK)Storage: OCZ ARC 100 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£67.99 @ Dabs)Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£38.34 @ Aria PC)Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 270X 2GB DirectCU II Video Card  (£132.98 @ Novatech)Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  (£32.86 @ CCL Computers)Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£58.73 @ Amazon UK)Total: £590.38Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-08 06:00 BST+0100

I vote on this one. I would just pick an old hdd from other pc and put some more money on the gpu. Try to save money for an 970 is the best card for the money. And You get witcher 3 free too :)

Generally for gaming it is always go for the better GPU but thats your choice

OLD-SCHOOL - Intel Pentium 4 SL6WF with HYPERTHREADING! - ACER 651M03-6L Mobo - Saphire R9600 PRO 256mb AGP Card - 2gb DDR - 40gb IDE HDD - 430w PSU