Koobface

af92507
Go to solution Solved by af92507,

Ok thank you guys so much, I you guys are a life saver.

I am just getting in to the more technical aspect of computers and was informed by AT&T tech support that my network was infected with the Koobface worm. The guy tried to get me to pay 200 dollars to remove this remotely. How can I tell if he was just trying to scare me in to buying something I didn't need/remove it from my PC and Mac? I check my program manager on the PC and have nothing running that shouldn't be running in processes or applications. Also would running a torrent browser on my Mac show that my internet connection was unsecured? 

thank you for your help

I am just getting in to the more technical aspect of computers and was informed by AT&T tech support that my network was infected with the Koobface worm. The guy tried to get me to pay 200 dollars to remove this remotely. How can I tell if he was just trying to scare me in to buying something I didn't need/remove it from my PC and Mac? I check my program manager on the PC and have nothing running that shouldn't be running in processes or applications. Also would running a torrent browser on my Mac show that my internet connection was unsecured? 

thank you for your help

download malwarebytes first off if you don't have it

second u sure you called att?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koobface

have you noticed any symptoms /\

have not seen this name since 2013 lol. usure its legit?

Are you sure it was an actual guy from AT&T and not someone trying to scam you or gain access to your network?

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

it's a scam. just get malwarebytes and do a scan if you're worried. 

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

No my wife got a BS number, I am glad I know a little something about computers otherwise I would have fallen for their scare tactics. It was a number for Click4Support LLC, since they had access to my Mac/network what should I do? The computer that they got access to is now off the Wifi and shut down.

Well, off any wifi/network will keep it from being in the botnet. 

But, honestly, nuke the thing. Reinstall a full copy of Windows. 

Ok thank you guys so much, I you guys are a life saver.