Can I turn on my PC without a Heatsink on the CPU?

Hi

So.. I want to turn on my PC without "Heatsink" on the CPU for a couple of mins in idle just to see if my graphics card is working

I want to do this because im almost done with my water cooling setup but i decided to change my graphics card and I have no where to test if they are working before i disassemble them to put a water blocks on them (voiding the warranty.. lame).

The CPU is a Intel  i7 5960x still at stock speeds, the only "cooling" it has is the water block EK Supremacy elite and im changing from quad gtx 980s to quad Titan Xs

Everything was working well on air with the 980s

Accordingly to this video 

its possible, the cpu temps only "sky rocket" after they turn on Skyrim and from my experience with Intel it should be fine but still wanted a second opinion from you guys :P

I did this once just to make sure the system posted for 5~ seconds, and nothing bad happened, but I was sweating bullets.

No, just don't. Isn't there a stock cooler?

you can do that but it can damage your system so maybe just use the stock cooler and put it ontop the cpu with some liqued oder without just too keep it from fryying but this can easily damage your pc so pay attention temps are no joke

Why the f*** do you need 4 titan x's? I call troll on this one

Agreed

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

Hi

So.. I want to turn on my PC without "Heatsink" on the CPU for a couple of mins in idle just to see if my graphics card is working

I want to do this because im almost done with my water cooling setup but i decided to change my graphics card and I have no where to test if they are working before i disassemble them to put a water blocks on them (voiding the warranty.. lame).

The CPU is a Intel  i7 5960x still at stock speeds, the only "cooling" it has is the water block EK Supremacy elite and im changing from quad gtx 980s to quad Titan Xs

its possible, the cpu temps only "sky rocket" after they turn on Skyrim and from my experience with Intel it should be fine but still wanted a second opinion from you guys :P

You can, but it would be dumb

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

Double post tfw 

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

At the very least put a stack of pennies on top of the cpu, or something to at least pull away heat.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Why the fuck do you need 4 titan x's? I call troll on this one

Im not trolling, you Idiot..

And the Intel 5960X doesnt come with stock cooler anyway and you can see from the pictures i cant use any cooler now.

post-49458-0-28251500-1428342446.jpg

post-49458-0-58216000-1428342456.jpg

post-49458-0-52558700-1428342462.jpg

post-49458-0-28251500-1428342446.jpg

post-49458-0-58216000-1428342456.jpg

post-49458-0-52558700-1428342462.jpg

And the Intel 5960X doesnt come with stock cooler anyway and you can see from the pictures i cant use any cooler now.

The CPU water block will act as a little (really bad) heatsink, so it may prolong your testing for a few more seconds.

However in the video the CPU that's used is a Pentium anniversary. You are using the giant 5960X which kicks a lot more heat out. If i were you, I'd be carefull and quick, but I'd do it.

who cares...

Hi

meanwhile when the camera is not on the computer, his friend is holding a giant fan next to it to keep it cool. :D

Im just messing with ya,

This might be possible with a cool running CPU like they showed in the video, but as you can see, after it had over 50% load it skyrocketed.

Do not practice these methods, let the people of youtube do it, while you sit back, point, and laugh.

7800X3D - MSI B650 MAG Tomahawk - 32GB 6000mhz CL30 - Gigabyte 3080 TI - 2TB NVME - 1000w PSU - ID Cooling 240mm AIO

Okay and I'm not and idiot, just usually people round here don't spend 4k on gpu's them selves. But why you use 4 of them? CUDA?

Okay and I'm not and idiot, just usually people round here don't spend 4k on gpu's them selves. But why you use 4 of them? CUDA?

The main reason is because im crazy enthusiast and I must have all dem fps

just for lols the system has right now 28 gentle typhoon ap-15s trying to fit 2 more in but not enough space on a 900D

You could but a big risk is involved

*realises that doesn't have money even for one titan x goes and starts crying in a corner*

please please please please PLEASE don't do that with a $1000 cpu. :(

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

Look, @Amagad_MarceloBG, people think your a troll because...

you have an $1000 i7-5960X

4 times a $1000 GPU

going to watercool it

and then think about running a 8 core, 140W TDP CPU without any cooling. No need to call anyone an idiot, cause that would make you a hypocrite.

You can try it, but it would be dumb. Just try to get a low profile cooler of Be Quiet! or Noctua. Or Scythe, or just anything.

Basic guide to CPU's!

First time posting here.

If you are just checking to see if the system will post with all 4 Gpus and your boot time is quick because of running ssds I don't see why you couldn't spend at the most one minute to power on and then go into your hardware manager to make sure it is reading all 4 gpus and then shutting down.

Like someone said maybe stack some pennies on the corners / top of the water block just to be safe and have a small fan pointed at the open case.

I wouldn't run power to it for more then a minute tho or you are taking some serious risks.