Typical first post about looking over my watercooling parts.

Demos

I currently would like to upgrade my system, I currently have

Intel Core i5 3570k

Antec Kuhler 620

Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H

Corsair Vengeance 8GB

Samsung 830 Series 128gb SSD

Seagate Barracude 1tb HDD

Sapphire Raedeon 7870 OC Ghz Edition

Antec High Current Gamer 620W PSU

Fractal Design Arc Midi

Has anyone personally used or seen this kit? http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/comp...p?partid=18203|

Also will put a waterblock on GPU as well.

Many thanks,

Demos

EDIT:

Thanks for all the comments guys! I'm thinking about downgrading to a BitFenix Prodigy at the moment. So when I do watercool, it'll be a lot trickier, but a lot cooler!

Thanks for all the advice smile.png

CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | CPU:  i5 4570| CPU COOLER: Noctua NH-U12s | MOTHERBOARD: Asus H87-I Plus| RAM: Muskin Blackline 8GB | SSD: Samsung 830 128gb | 

SSD: Samsung 840 128gb SSD(Games) | GPU: Asus R9 270X DCUII | PSU: Seasonic 660w | MONITORS: LG 23" IPS 5ms |

Do not use kits. Its usually cheaper to do your own research and buy your parts separately.

Also its not in the "spirit" of watercooling. Buying a kit is like building lego, anyone can do it, there's no feeling of satisfaction after you do it. If you buy your own things you can add personal touches to it and you can be sure that you build is unique in some way.

I highly recommend reading Gmacs "Watercooling 101" thread. Its a sticky in the watercooling section.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Do not use kits. Its usually cheaper to do your own research and buy your parts separately.

Also its not in the "spirit" of watercooling. Buying a kit is like building lego, anyone can do it, there's no feeling of satisfaction after you do it. If you buy your own things you can add personal touches to it and you can be sure that you build is unique in some way.

I highly recommend reading Gmacs "Watercooling 101" thread. Its a sticky in the watercooling section.

In my country it's actually cheaper to buy a kit, then buy the waterblock and the compressions fittings separately. Crazy huh? I'm in New Zealand btw. Computer Lounge is one of the only stockers of good components, and I can't buy much from FrozenCPU or overseas because customs charge you insane amounts of money.

CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | CPU:  i5 4570| CPU COOLER: Noctua NH-U12s | MOTHERBOARD: Asus H87-I Plus| RAM: Muskin Blackline 8GB | SSD: Samsung 830 128gb | 

SSD: Samsung 840 128gb SSD(Games) | GPU: Asus R9 270X DCUII | PSU: Seasonic 660w | MONITORS: LG 23" IPS 5ms |

When it comes to new WC loops - I think some of the kits are a great option. Many of them actually include all the same components you would want to buy seperately, esp when buying a major brand kit like from EK, XSPC, etc. And they include all the initial items you need, with the exception of coolant in some cases. Depending on availability, my one suggestion is to go with as large a rad as you can to start. Makes things down the road easier.

I am not to sure about that case - make sure before you start, since you are planning to add a GPU block, that you can add at least one more 240 rad. You will need it when you throw in the GPU block...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

When it comes to new WC loops - I think some of the kits are a great option. Many of them actually include all the same components you would want to buy seperately, esp when buying a major brand kit like from EK, XSPC, etc. And they include all the initial items you need, with the exception of coolant in some cases. Depending on availability, my one suggestion is to go with as large a rad as you can to start. Makes things down the road easier.

I am not to sure about that case - make sure before you start, since you are planning to add a GPU block, that you can add at least one more 240 rad. You will need it when you throw in the GPU block...

I've heard from GaPC on Reddit that you only need 120mm of cooling rad per component, so a 240 would be fine no?

Not quite correct - general rule of thumb is 120mm per component - plus an additional 120mm for overhead. So, for just a CPU - min would be 240. For a CPU and GPU, min be 360. Mind you, these are suggestions. You could go less. Just don't expect great temps or a quiet system. Honestly - the reason to watercool - looks and silence. In order to get silence, you need rad space so your fans can spin slower, giving you decent temps. If you cannot fit enough rads - buy a new case or skip a custom loop as in the end, it would be a bunch of money and you most likely won't be happy with the end result.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

I really don't think a 360 rad would be enough for a cpu and gpu block. Imagine how much heat a 7970 and a 3770k could make with them both overclocked.

I would say a 240 rad per component is more recommend.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

It's not bad for a 'my first watercooling' kit. the pump is average, the block is average.

I disapprove of kits personally, because they remove the need for as much research.

Well, the rad is kinda small for CPU and GPU... The kit seems really overpriced tbh. The pump is kinda meeeh.

Set up your own stuff, will probably be cheaper. And are you sure you want to watercool a 7870? Not that it's a bad card, but the block is about the same price, perhaps get a 2nd one in the loop? ^^

I would suggest at least a 360 rad so you will have some headroom.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Well, the rad is kinda small for CPU and GPU... The kit seems really overpriced tbh. The pump is kinda meeeh.

Set up your own stuff, will probably be cheaper. And are you sure you want to watercool a 7870? Not that it's a bad card, but the block is about the same price, perhaps get a 2nd one in the loop? ^^

I'll try put in another Rad in the loop. The kit is actually cheaper than buying all the parts separately in NZ! I can't really crossfire as my Mobo's second PCIE slot is a 4x slot. So that's kind of out of the question.

I'll try put in another Rad in the loop. The kit is actually cheaper than buying all the parts separately in NZ! I can't really crossfire as my Mobo's second PCIE slot is a 4x slot. So that's kind of out of the question.

Thanks for all the comments guys! I'm thinking about downgrading to a BitFenix Prodigy at the moment. So when I do watercool, it'll be a lot trickier, but a lot cooler!

Thanks for all the advice :)

Water cooling is massively fun but you want to do TONS of research before diving in. Kits can be helpful as teaching tools but half of the fun for me in water cooling is picking out my own components. Take your time and watch lots of videos (Linus's water cooling guide is really good) before ordering anything...

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

You probably won't get great results out of just a 240mm rad. A 360 rad or a 240+120 will give you much better results than a h100, whereas just a 240 will probably give you similar results for a much higher price.

I'm not sure about the pump you have in that kit; it might be terrible. Everything looks though.

I'm planning on running an external 480 (because I am insane), and the results will definitely be better than anything I could possibly achieve with an AIO or an air cooler.