My first PC that *I* built!

Guest Console Peasant
Go to solution Solved by Guest Console Peasant,

Decent job mate, although that dust is quite bad. LOL

Yeah, I would do a better job if it was mine :P looks pretty unloved.

Hey guys, my name is Eihcal. Been posting here and there on LTT but I'm not a huge forum user, but I love PC.

(If this post looks TLDR, please try and skim through it, I feel quite passionate about it.)

Anyway, what I'm here to present today is my epic adventure delving tits first into PC hardware, let me explain.

I've always been a PC gamer ever since I developed a sensible attitude, and have been using them since 2010. However I was only 11 back then and I didn't want to build my own PC, so I bought it pre-built, and of course I got ripped the hell off. However fast forward until today, I have my own PC but I got my step-dad to help me build it, which I felt pretty scrub about, because I was to stupid to build my own.

But today (yesterday) I want that all to end. I went to my dads house, luckily found a gutted computer that no ones using, (Thanks Gabe!) and started to gut it until it was just the case.

Keep in mind for this PC I had no prior experience besides videos and there was no manual for me to refer to, so I made some errors. I have a bunch of photos that I would like you all to see.

Specs of the PC: (Photos of each component after, and sorry for Potatostation iPhone quality)

CPU: Unknown (K series socket) gIeEFUR.jpg and FrkHIGM.jpg

Cooler: Stock Intel Fan al3Pf5s.jpg

Motherboard: Asrock H61 z6CSgvj.jpg

Video Card: NONE! Unfortunately I cannot test the PC without a video card, unless the CPU (which is unknown) has integrated graphics.

RAM: 4GB DDR3 @ 1333Mhz 4LwWjic.jpg

Case: Unknown DXHPuGJ.jpg

DVD Drive: Unknown JTpLkKP.jpg

HDD: Seagate 320GB Drive 7200RPM zOTtl1u.jpg

PSU: Xsonic ATX 460W C1j82Gd.jpg

The journey:

First thing I did was remove the PSU, this shit was hella dusty, and no air compressor to be of use, so the good old human windpipe had to thrust this dust away. Another thing about the PSU was that the screw was under the sticker, and in order to open it, I had to screw THREW the sticker, lmao:

Before

Gf7gHja.jpg

C1W64Xv.jpg

After YgF8QkD.jpg

OL8MQYw.jpg

Then after I cleaned the fan (which it needed) I installed it into the PC (top mount)http://i.imgur.com/9Bh4D7J.jpg

Next step is the Motherboard set-up and installation, like always, install CPU into the socket with the triangles matching, unfortunately though I had no thermal paste, not even the cheap $2 ones you can buy, that was the first error, however I could not do anything about it.

NjQ8ko1.jpg

RAM:

sROv3Tv.jpg

Mounted into the Case with screws

zf7HcOy.jpg

Okay the next big mistake I made was not installing the DVD drive first so that was a well learned lesson, I had to unscrew the Motherboard just to put the little shit in, also, I couldn't find any screw holes in the DVD drive, but it felt very secure and wasn't going anywhere, so I kinda figured it was meant to be like that or it would be fine anyway. The HDD when I found the PC was not mounted in anyway, it could fall out (however not easily) so I had to remove one of the screws from the Motherboard (One above the bottom right I figured wouldn't be needed) and used it for the HDD, and it worked.

http://i.imgur.com/t3C0HEF.jpg

Now technically i've installed and mounted everything, I was feeling not so proud at this moment, for I knew a much bigger challenge awaited.

It was cable time!!! I didn't know WTF I was doing so I just read what it said on the motherboard and mostly that went fine, but when the motherboard doesn't say what it is, that's when I just put the cables in like lego and hoped for the best.

http://i.imgur.com/LW3DpA0.jpg

In this image I did a little cable management I suppose (Sata 3)

IplXe5r.jpg

XeAFNPo.jpg

YYdY0kC.jpg

You can't really see the HDD/power/reset cables but I had no idea where they went, besides that I did everything not to bad, with a Manual I would have done much better (probably)

And it was done, or at least so I thought, first of all I don't have a video card and I don't know what CPU it is so I don't know if it has integrated graphics

Second of all, I have no available Monitors and cables to hook it up to, so I can't test if it works, and I don't really want to bring it home, especially without a graphics card. I live in Australia so unfortunately no one can send an old on out either for testing.

However if you PC users so desire to see if the cables would have worked, have a look at the photos and tell me.

What a fun adventure, and I hope to do it again, it was fun (expect for the no testing and cables)

My first PC build, I think I can learn a lot from it, specifically

I pushed pretty hard on some of the components but I don't feel I broke anything.

Install items you think wont fit later, such as HDD or DVD drives. and Top mounted PSU.

Look at your manual for where the cables should go

That's it, that's my first PC build however I am still a long term PC fan (fan, because fans are in a PC, lmao! Puns!)

If you guys want to contact me for questions or query's please add me on steam (Eihcal) and make sure to post a comment.

I hope one day I'll have a look back at this post and it's comments and have a laugh at it.

Have fun PC gaming and building (Happy Easter)

Eihcal

I love your passion!  Congratulations and welcome to the club man!

Case: HAF XBCPU: 4690kCPU Cooler: NH D15Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming 7 | RAM: Hyper X FuryVideo Card: G1 Gaming 970SSD: 850 EVO |  PSU: Supernova 550 G2 | 

Did you install the cpu without removing the old thermal paste? 

Yes, I didn't have any, like I said

Dude, that's amazing! Have fun with your new computer, and now you get the emotional attachment we all have to our custom computers. :)

Computer ----- CPU: FX-6300 | Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3P | RAM: 2x4GB 1600MHz/CL9 | GPU: MSI R9 270X OC | Case: Corsair 760T Black | Storage: 2TB WD RE4 | PSU: EVGA 750W Bronze | Display: Acer 21.5" 1080P | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | OS: Triple boot - Arch Linux, Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X Mavericks

Other Possesions:

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 Verizon on FamilyMobile, root/flash KitPop ---- Other phone: HTC One M7 Sprint Bad ESN, forgot the rom but root/flash 5.0.0 ---- Tablet: Hisense Sero 7 Pro, forgot the rom but root/flash 4.4.4

Make sure to get all of the dust off, too. 

It's hard without an air compressor

It's hard without an air compressor

Try to use a vaccum and a toothpick for the heatsink. There's basically nothing you can damage on the heatsink, so I'd go for it man.

I love your passion!  Congratulations and welcome to the club man!

I've been part of the *Club* however I've never made a real contribution, lets hope this can change that a bit!

Happy Easter

Dude, that's amazing! Have fun with your new computer, and now you get the emotional attachment we all have to our custom computers. :)

Well to be honest I won't be using this PC, I already have my own, this one will be for my dad :]

I'm sure he'll love it though.

Try to use a vaccum and a toothpick for the heatsink. There's basically nothing you can damage on the heatsink, so I'd go for it man.

Not a bad idea, and the CPU fan comes of pretty quickly, thanks for the idea!

Nice toes

CPU: some amd thing Motherboard: its black RAM: its memory thats for sure GPU: r7 260x Case: corsair spec 01 Storage: 1tb of it PSU: 430w, so many watts

Display: its asus Cooling: fans Keyboard: logitech g710+ #browns4lyfe Mouse: its a logitech Sound: its what you hear Operating System: winders  

Nice toes

They're Toeriffic.

I like the toe pictures, goes well with the "dirty" pics and such :D

LOL, you're right.

I had to walk out to the shed to get a phillips head :P

They're Toeriffic.

Dat pun though

CPU: some amd thing Motherboard: its black RAM: its memory thats for sure GPU: r7 260x Case: corsair spec 01 Storage: 1tb of it PSU: 430w, so many watts

Display: its asus Cooling: fans Keyboard: logitech g710+ #browns4lyfe Mouse: its a logitech Sound: its what you hear Operating System: winders  

I've been "in to computers" for about 8-10 months now, in case anyone ever wondered.

Started messing around with them, then I just jumped, bought my parts, and started building. Now I'd say I'm doing pretty good. (pics and specs in my profile)

Anyways, welcome! I hope you learn a lot from this forum and enjoy your journey through custom building computers.

pics by the first camera you ever owned  :P Kind of cool that you have those pics...wish I would have had that foresight to have some memories like that. 

I've been "in to computers" for about 8-10 months now, in case anyone ever wondered.

Started messing around with them, then I just jumped, bought my parts, and started building. Now I'd say I'm doing pretty good. (pics and specs in my profile)

Anyways, welcome! I hope you learn a lot from this forum and enjoy your journey through custom building computers.

Congratuations! I'll definitely take a look!

No dust filters for intake? Use dryer sheets and some good old tape. Keeps the dust away and makes the room smell nice.

Intake for what? If the PSU then im not sure how a dryer sheet would help, or if I have one :P

Does it work well though?

I've been part of the *Club* however I've never made a real contribution, lets hope this can change that a bit!

Happy Easter

The "club" I mention is the computer builders club.  You have now built your first computer, thus granting you access to the club :)

Case: HAF XBCPU: 4690kCPU Cooler: NH D15Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming 7 | RAM: Hyper X FuryVideo Card: G1 Gaming 970SSD: 850 EVO |  PSU: Supernova 550 G2 | 

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

The "club" I mention is the computer builders club.  You have now built your first computer, thus granting you access to the club :)

Do I get a certificate of authenticity?

:]

Yeah, I would do a better job if it was mine :P looks pretty unloved.