Is it time to upgrade?

Hi there people, This is my first post in linustechtips forum.
I want to know if i should start upgrade my pc?
I am running a Q8400 Quad-core and with a 7970 (bios of 7970ghz) I know it is time to change my pc. And i really hope i can by this year.
So i am looking for suggestion. I am surely looking for a gaming pc setup. About $ 1000 - $ 1300 CAD.
I am living in Malaysia hence i have converted the currency over. 

Might be going for watercooling but i am new.

What do you guys think about ASRock Z87 OC Formula, Tried googling for review but only had one and they use Z77 to compare :)

Please help me :) Thank you :)

definitely a good idea to upgrade from a core 2 quad are you looking at an i5 for your build or an i7?

Welcome to the Forum!

You should upgrade your CPU, the GPU is pretty decent. You should go for i7 because Crysis 3 and modern games are leveraging more cores. Hence, the 8350 out-performs the i5 3570k because it has more cores. But core to core, the i5 is better.

-TechSage

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Hi there people, This is my first post in linustechtips forum.

I want to know if i should start upgrade my pc?

I am running a Q8400 Quad-core and with a 7970 (bios of 7970ghz) I know it is time to change my pc. And i really hope i can by this year.

So i am looking for suggestion. I am surely looking for a gaming pc setup. About $ 1000 - $ 1300 CAD.

I am living in Malaysia hence i have converted the currency over. 

Might be going for watercooling but i am new.

What do you guys think about ASRock Z87 OC Formula, Tried googling for review but only had one and they use Z77 to compare :)

Please help me :) Thank you :)

I would skip the ASRock board in favor of an MSI z77 M-Power board. Great value and great overclocking. The i5's are still the all-around favorite for price to performance.

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

Welcome to the Forum!

You should upgrade your CPU, the GPU is pretty decent. You should go for i7 because Crysis 3 and modern games are leveraging more cores. Hence, the 8350 out-performs the i5 3570k because it has more cores. But core to core, the i5 is better.

-TechSage

The OP should probably upgrade to a 3570k or a 4670k. Many games actually don't take advantage of hyperthreading but instead just the cores.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

definitely a good idea to upgrade from a core 2 quad are you looking at an i5 for your build or an i7?

I am okay with both i7 or i5 as long as it can fit the budget.

I would skip the ASRock board in favor of an MSI z77 M-Power board. Great value and great overclocking. The i5's are still the all-around favorite for price to performance.

I am also actually waiting for the Maximus VI Formula. I think thats a good board to wait for.

Welcome to the Forum!

-TechSage

Thanks,

so an i7? with or without the unlock series?

I am okay with both i7 or i5 as long as it can fit the budget.

Ok if its just gaming you want to do go for the i5 4670K if you want to render etc get the i7 4770K.

PS:if you plan to overclock always get a K series cpu.

Ok if its just gaming you want to do go for the i5 4670K if you want to render etc get the i7 4770K.

PS:if you plan to overclock always get a K series cpu.

Yea thanks. I don't really do much of a rendering.

But i am not sure if next time i would end up doing some rendering as i do edit videos just for fun.

I am also actually waiting for the Maximus VI Formula. I think thats a good board to wait for.

Please watch this. 

While this is the Maximus VI Extreme, I think it's still a relevant video for you to watch. These ultra premium boards can be a real cash grab for a company. Be careful with them. 

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

Thanks,

so an i7? with or without the unlock series?

Definitely an unlocked CPU if you're using Maximus VI Extreme. Good Luck building and hope you have fun with your PC when you get it! 

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

i would definately suggest a 4770k for you seeing as you wont upgrade for 5 years (if you expect to keep that cpu as long as the last one.... but expect intel to change socket every 2 years.

of course a 8350 with the immortal am3 platform could still be a good idea as amd could be using the same socket in 5 years... I mean for how long as am3 survived till now?

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

Please watch this. 

While this is the Maximus VI Extreme, I think it's still a relevant video for you to watch. These ultra premium boards can be a real cash grab for a company. Be careful with them. 

I have decided to go with the Mpower or the GD-65. Some also recommend me GD-45.

In my opinion i really like the Mpower.

Not sure what else you may need (PSU, case, ext) so I left those out:

CPU:  Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($199.99 @ Microcenter) 
CPU Cooler:  Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM  Liquid CPU Cooler  ($103.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard:  Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 ATX  LGA1150 Motherboard  ($122.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory:  Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($71.98 @ Amazon) 
Total: $498.94
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-10 08:24 EDT-0400)

Hope these give you some ideas...

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

I have decided to go with the Mpower or the GD-65. Some also recommend me GD-45.

In my opinion i really like the Mpower.

Honestly, you can't go too wrong with any of them. I probably wouldn't go as low as the GD45, myself. I've owned an MSI 790fx-gd80 back when I used a Phenom II and I'm currently running a z68a-GD80 and they've both served me well. A couple friends of mine got the z77 M-Power and they have liked it.

I have already decide on the following Specs.
CPU: 4770k

MOBO: MPower Z87
RAM: G.Skill Sniper
SSD: Plextor 128GB (Cuz it is cheapest in my country)
HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue

Case: CM storm Stryker
Powersupply: Reuse my old one.

However, need help on cooling. Air Or AIO?

For gaming I suggest getting the 4670K instead and save some money (unless you are a video editor). For the cooler I suggest getting a Kraken X60 or a Noctua NHD 14, since they both have excellent cooling performance.

For gaming I suggest getting the 4670K instead and save some money (unless you are a video editor). For the cooler I suggest getting a Kraken X60 or a Noctua NHD 14, since they both have excellent cooling performance.

I know that 4670k can save money but getting 4770k is still below budget and i am taking it for fun :)

However, need help on cooling. Air Or AIO?

I'd go with a H100i, air coolers are just too bulky and a PITA to mount IMO...

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

For cooling it really depends on how much you want to overclock. The best of the best would be the SwiftTech H220 and it really doesn't cost that much more than another AIO cooler since the Helix fans that come with the H220 are much better than the stock fans from other AIO coolers and don't need to be replaced. If you want to save some money, you can get an air cooler like the Noctua NH-D14 or Phanteks ph-tc14pe. If you want to go even lower than that, you can get a Be quiet dark rock or a CM hyper 212. Any of these options are great. It just depends on how much performance you want. 

<p>I would get a 4670k and a Asus Z87-A board because this board can acheive a 4.8GHz overclock but this may depend on your cpu. As for your cooler, I would recommend the H220 since it is better than the H100. You don't really need an i7 if you are just using this computer for gaming. The i7 is useful when you get into video rendering because it uses hyperthreading.</p>

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer