Sudden low FPS in games.

Pandacake

Hello,

So i've recently replaced my laptop charger because the old one is damaged.

The new one has 1,5A more input.

When i play games i noticed that i get low fps, i'm not sure if it's from the charger. Because first time i tried the new charger, i have very high fps.

Then after 1 night i feel the lag.

I checked my gpu load, and saw that it goes only around 70 to 85% load, skyrim 1080p.

Laptop is the Y50 from Lenovo.

4th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-4710HQ (2.50GHz 1600MHz 6MB)

NVIDIA® GTX-860M

8GB RAM

Can someone help me?

Check your temperatures because that sounds like throttling. Maybe try downloading a little utility called Throttlestop, it might help.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Check your temperatures because that sounds like throttling. Maybe try downloading a little utility called Throttlestop, it might help.

I guess, because i mostly put my laptop on my lap...

thanks, ill give it a try.

Didn't work.

so i damaged a component?

rip 1k.

If the power adapter is the only thing you changed than we shouldn't have to look too far...

If the adapter has different voltage/amps than the previous one, then I would recommend NOT to use it.

You can easily damage your battery/laptop with wrong power inputs.

Is your laptop overheating by any chance?

OS: Windows 10N -- CPU: Intel i7 8700k @ 4.9GHz -- CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 -- Mobo: Biostar Z370GT6 -- RAM: 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @2933MHz

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 8GB FTW -- Case: Fractal Design Define R4 -- Storage1x 960GB Corsair MP510 SSD and 3x 1TB HDD -- PSU: Corsair RM 650x

Monitors: Acer 1440p144 + 1440p60 -- Keyboard: Leopold FC750R -- Mouse: Glorious Model O- -- Headphones: Beyer DT1990 + Schitt Fulla 3 Microphone Samson C01UPRO

Also since it's a highish end laptop, is this new power Brik a high enough wattage as I've come across an issue on a Dell workstation grade notebook, where they had purchased a standard official replacement (30w I Think) and it wasn't powerful enough to give clean power to the components and was causing very strange issues.

We ordered the customer the correct 50w Replacement and all of the issues went away.

P.S. A way of checking this may be to let the PSU fully charge the battery in a powered off state and see if you get better fps on the battery alone, since the laptop will prefer the PSU for power when plugged in.

Normally, it being a higher Amperage means nothing. It's not like the laptop will suddenly draw more power.

I don't think this is the case, but check if it's using the actual Nvidia graphics while gaming instead of the Intel graphics

http://support.lenovo.com/ca/en/documents/ht078706

Switch from auto select to High Performance and then try a game. If it works fine, then that was the issue.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Amps are quite important also is voltage. Please make sure your output voltage matches the former, Amps, can be as high as you want. Given Voltage, amps are good, check thermal throttling and energy preset.

The laptop won't draw more than it's designed to. There are safeguards built into the charging circuit to prevent that.

If the power supply put out less than stock then it would be an issue. Using a higher wattage supply is common practice with MSI gaming laptops, but usually only when you've swapped GPU cards out for a more powerful model*. Some laptops came with a 150W adapter while the bigger ones come with 180W, and they are interchangeable.

ie: going from a GTX 570m to a GTX 780m for example.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Hey guys, so the original adapter has 1,5A input. The one that i bought has 1,5A more, and that's all the difference between the two chargers.

@BoucheDag

No, its not overheating. i got somewhere at 57 celc at high setting 1080p skyrim, and max was 80/75 celc.

@mike2156

It wont let me run above 50fps, without the adapter plugged in.

@TetraSky

I did this settings frist time i got the laptop.

@faziten

the ouput is the same as original, the only difference is that it has 1,5 more amperage input.

@ApolloX75

i don't want to lose my warranty yet.

if it's this one http://laptopmedia.com/review/lenovo-y50-4k-display-review-gaming-flagman-with-super-detailed-screen/it needs at least 135w.

Ok in that case i'd look at doing an RMA, perhaps the old damaged PSU has damaged the Motherboard, GPU or the Voltage regulators. it seems odd that a new psu could cause issues unless it's a fake replica.

Also the Performance will be Slightly lower when on battery, but it should only be a small amount lower.

Hey guys, so the original adapter has 1,5A input. The one that i bought has 1,5A more, and that's all the difference between the two chargers.

@BoucheDag

No, its not overheating. i got somewhere at 57 celc at high setting 1080p skyrim, and max was 80/75 celc.

@mike2156

It wont let me run above 50fps, without the adapter plugged in.

@TetraSky

I did this settings frist time i got the laptop.

@faziten

the ouput is the same as original, the only difference is that it has 1,5 more amperage input.

@ApolloX75

i don't want to lose my warranty yet.

Something is utterly wrong. 1.5 more amp INPUT in the power brick would mean 165W MORE power coming from the wall to the brick (if on 110V ac). 

It would be nice if you post pictures, you are mistaking input with output. (pics of the original, and the new one ofc).

Given the same output, if input increases 1.5Amps it means lower efficiency which also means lower quality overall. So it is important to not get the mixed. 

What you will see in your power brick:

Input 110V/220V AC. (X) amps this is from wall to brick.

Output (Y)Volts (W)amps DC. this is from brick to Notebook.