Hi, I have a general question: if you had a 2x120mm all-in-one water cooling that you bought from, say, cooler master or corsair and you also had a custom loop that also used the same sized radiator, would you get a better temp from the custom loop (or worse) and also what are other factors that play into the temps? Tubing or pump maybe?

Thanks

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • ASUS TUF GAMING B550M Plus
  • Ryzen 5 5600X undervolted
  • Gigabyte VISION OC RTX 3070 undervolted
  • 32GB Teamgroup Dark Alpha 3600 MHz CL18
  • Corsair TX750M
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Mini

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • Logitech Extreme 3D Pro & Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle
  • Logitech G27 with pedals and H-shifter
  • TrackIR 4

tubeing and pumps have nothing to do with heat disipation.

how much coolent

how well your heat sink draws out heat from the component

how well your fan/rads disipate heat from their lines

those are the only thing that affect how cool you can get.

eventually you will reach the disipation maximum for your sinks or rad, if you havent then you can increase the heat capacity of your loop by adding more fliud, but the longer you leave your rig running the less it will matter.

liquids have a heat capacity based on the volume of the fluid and the specific heat of the fluid. specific heat is a coeffecient of heat capacity.

of the same volume:

water has more heat capacity than air.

minerial oil has more heat capacity than water.

mercury has a MUCH higher heat capacity than oil.

Hi,-snip-

Thanks

TL;DR, follor your thread, and fill your custom loop with mercury.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

I would say tubing and pump do have an effect but only in flow rates.. 

As for AIO vs custom loop. It depends on the components used.. As all AIO's give different results, so will custom loops depending on the components.

Not done a custom loop yet.. But when I do I'm gonna go fanless and use a car rad for cooling. :D

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

AIO uses an aluminum radiator not the best for heat transfer, but more for cost.

customs usually use a copper/brass radiator for top thermal performance. gains

of best deltas could be from 5-30° better than a 240 AIO. the design of the

cold-plate, flow rate, radiator and capacity all can better the overall thermal

performance.

tubeing and pumps have nothing to do with heat disipation.

how much coolent

how well your heat sink draws out heat from the component

how well your fan/rads disipate heat from their lines

those are the only thing that affect how cool you can get.

eventually you will reach the disipation maximum for your sinks or rad, if you havent then you can increase the heat capacity of your loop by adding more fliud, but the longer you leave your rig running the less it will matter.

liquids have a heat capacity based on the volume of the fluid and the specific heat of the fluid. specific heat is a coeffecient of heat capacity.

of the same volume:

water has more heat capacity than air.

minerial oil has more heat capacity than water.

mercury has a MUCH higher heat capacity than oil.

TL;DR, follor your thread, and fill your custom loop with mercury.

I would say tubing and pump do have an effect but only in flow rates.. 

As for AIO vs custom loop. It depends on the components used.. As all AIO's give different results, so will custom loops depending on the components.

Not done a custom loop yet.. But when I do I'm gonna go fanless and use a car rad for cooling. :D

So basically, the liquid inside is the real game changer, but custom loops are generally more expensive for one that's similar performance to an AiO or is that completely false?

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • ASUS TUF GAMING B550M Plus
  • Ryzen 5 5600X undervolted
  • Gigabyte VISION OC RTX 3070 undervolted
  • 32GB Teamgroup Dark Alpha 3600 MHz CL18
  • Corsair TX750M
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Mini

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • Logitech Extreme 3D Pro & Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle
  • Logitech G27 with pedals and H-shifter
  • TrackIR 4

Your probably gonna get a degree or two better if you use a high quality pump and have a reservoir as theirs a greater volume of liquid to heat and you'll be moving it faster than a AIO would. You're gonna want to stick to a standard size of tubing so tubing won't affect temps any unless you went with copper in which case you might get a bit of passive cooling if your GPU exhausted out the rear and you had good cooling.

Another factor to figure is you could always pick up a better quality thicker rad. than the ones on AIO's. 

Work Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k | GPU: Quadro K1200 | Motherboard: EVGA Z97 Classified | RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3-2133Mhz | PSU: Seasonic 750W SS-750KM3 80 PLUS Gold | STORAGE: WD 1TB Se Enterprise Grade Drive & Corsair Neutron NX500 400GB NVMe PCIe  | COOLER: Enermax Liqtech 240 -  5x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 2000 PWM | CASE: Corsair 600C | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals: Logitech MX Master 2S -- Logitech K840 -- INTEL X520 10Gb NIC -- 3x Acer H236HL -- Build Log | 

Work Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 | Model: Cisco UCS C220 M4 (SFF) | RAM: 64GB (4x16GB) Cisco (Samsung) DDR4 2133Mhz | STORAGE: 4x Cisco (Seagate) 900GB 10K 2.5" (RAID 10) - 2x 32GB Cisco FlexFlash Boot Drive (RAID 1) | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | 

Laptop | CPU: Intel Core i7 6700HQ | GPU: Nvidia GTX 960M 2GB GDDR5 | RAM: 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400Mhz | STORAGE: 512GB Hynix NVMe | OS: Windows 10 Pro |

Gaming Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 9700K | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 WINDFORCE 8G  | Motherboard: ASRock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING-ITX | RAM: Ballistix Elite 32GB Kit (16GB x 2) DDR4-3000 | PSU: Silverstone SX700-LPT 700w 80 PLUS Platinum | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 970 PRO 1TB NVMe | COOLER: Noctua NH-L12 | CASE: Louqe Ghost S1 | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Build Log in Progress | 

Home Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2690 (Sandy Bridge) | GPU: Quadro P2000 | Motherboard: SUPERMICRO X9SRL-F  | RAM: 64GB (8x8GB) Micron VLP DDR3-1600 ECC | PSU: SUPERMICRO 665W 80 PLUS Bronze | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB (RAID 1) - 4x WD 8TB Ultrastar (RAID 10) - Intel SSD D3-S4510 Series 240GB (BOOT)  | COOLER: Noctua NH-U12DXi4 with 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM | CASE: SUPERMICRO CSE-842TQ-665B 4U | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | Build Log in Progress |

| Pixel 4XL 128GB - Clearly White - Unlocked - Carrier: Visible |

| F@H STATS |

So basically, the liquid inside is the real game changer, but custom loops are generally more expensive for one that's similar performance to an AiO or is that completely false?

No liquid doesn't matter much. Your main differences are gonna be where in a custom loop you have more copper and brass which are better conductors of heat than aluminum.

Work Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k | GPU: Quadro K1200 | Motherboard: EVGA Z97 Classified | RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3-2133Mhz | PSU: Seasonic 750W SS-750KM3 80 PLUS Gold | STORAGE: WD 1TB Se Enterprise Grade Drive & Corsair Neutron NX500 400GB NVMe PCIe  | COOLER: Enermax Liqtech 240 -  5x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 2000 PWM | CASE: Corsair 600C | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals: Logitech MX Master 2S -- Logitech K840 -- INTEL X520 10Gb NIC -- 3x Acer H236HL -- Build Log | 

Work Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 | Model: Cisco UCS C220 M4 (SFF) | RAM: 64GB (4x16GB) Cisco (Samsung) DDR4 2133Mhz | STORAGE: 4x Cisco (Seagate) 900GB 10K 2.5" (RAID 10) - 2x 32GB Cisco FlexFlash Boot Drive (RAID 1) | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | 

Laptop | CPU: Intel Core i7 6700HQ | GPU: Nvidia GTX 960M 2GB GDDR5 | RAM: 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400Mhz | STORAGE: 512GB Hynix NVMe | OS: Windows 10 Pro |

Gaming Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 9700K | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 WINDFORCE 8G  | Motherboard: ASRock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING-ITX | RAM: Ballistix Elite 32GB Kit (16GB x 2) DDR4-3000 | PSU: Silverstone SX700-LPT 700w 80 PLUS Platinum | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 970 PRO 1TB NVMe | COOLER: Noctua NH-L12 | CASE: Louqe Ghost S1 | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Build Log in Progress | 

Home Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2690 (Sandy Bridge) | GPU: Quadro P2000 | Motherboard: SUPERMICRO X9SRL-F  | RAM: 64GB (8x8GB) Micron VLP DDR3-1600 ECC | PSU: SUPERMICRO 665W 80 PLUS Bronze | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB (RAID 1) - 4x WD 8TB Ultrastar (RAID 10) - Intel SSD D3-S4510 Series 240GB (BOOT)  | COOLER: Noctua NH-U12DXi4 with 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM | CASE: SUPERMICRO CSE-842TQ-665B 4U | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | Build Log in Progress |

| Pixel 4XL 128GB - Clearly White - Unlocked - Carrier: Visible |

| F@H STATS |

240 AIO range from $65USD to $160USD

customs can be had for $150 for a basic starter kit: http://www.performance-pcs.com/xspc-raystorm-extreme-universal-cpu-watercooling-kit-w-ex240-radiator-750-pump-res.html

If you want the best performance, you can build a better cooling custom loop than AIO.. if you want convenience, go AIO.

The liquid has an effect yes BUT if the loop cannot dissipate the heat you will just be cycling hot liquid back through and that won't cool as well as cooler liquid.

Generally bigger rad + more liquid = better cooling (as is thicker but you need decent sp fans for thick rads)

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

uh...

Radiator space is the largest fact on how much cooling performance you would get.  Then the material/fan setup.
Pump does have correlation with performance when it comes to flowrate. But, AiO apparently have enough flowrate. 

From AIO 240mm to Custom loop 240mm will not result much of difference if the radiator and fan setup are identical.

If you are gonna cool something like quad 290x, the radiator space that a custom loop can offer is gonna out run any aio.
That's when the diminishing return of adding more radiators is relatively high.

Coolant matters a lot when you are doing sub-ambient, but this is pretty much irrelevant.

Besides, most AIOs comes with thin high fpi radiator.