Quietest configuration for case

Go to solution Solved by blackadder,

Now remember that my only intake would be the fans pulling air from the radiator into the case. I was thinking that a cooler without the rad would allow for cooler/slower fans.

i don't recommend that. You need airflow. Don't close off your front intakes. It won't be that loud, this depends of you. You want a intake and a exhaust to be a free flowing as possible, it makes more aiflow and less noise. 2 or 3 great fans can makes temps cool and noise not be a problem for most people.

Looking for the quietest/coolest config for a fractal design define r5. I am using a h100i on the front with some Noctua NF-F12 and the I was wondering if an air cooler like the Noctua NH-D14 and two quiet 140mm fans in the front would be the optimal setup for the case with all the vents covered.

Looking for the quietest/coolest config for a fractal design define r5. I am using a h100i on the front with some Noctua NF-F12 and the I was wondering if an air cooler like the Noctua NH-D14 and two quiet 140mm fans in the front would be the optimal setup for the case with all the vents covered.

you also set a fan curve to have low rpm for less noise. Use fans that are sub 1300 rpm and low noise adapters. Noctua are good, i like be quiet, im sure theres other good fans. Price range and size, 120mm or 140mm?

Running NFA-14's in my Define R5. Set up a curve with your CPU temp. Mine run low and slow at idle (800-900 RPM) and it's pretty quiet.

Some people like be quiet silent wings, or gentle typhoons. Fractal silent series are also good. They've also got new Venturi fans which seem like their answer to expensive Noctua fans.

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

you also set a fan curve to have low rpm for less noise. Use fans that are sub 1300 rpm and low noise adapters. Noctua are good, i like be quiet, im sure theres other good fans. Price range and size, 120mm or 140mm?

So are for the h100i or the NH-D14 setup? Oh and I like to have the biggest fans a case can handle so if an all in one cooler is superior I would swap ou the h100i for an h110 in the future.

Running NFA-14's in my Define R5. Set up a curve with your CPU temp. Mine run low and slow at idle (800-900 RPM) and it's pretty quiet.

Do you think the NH-D14 is quiter then the h100i with Noctuas?

So are for the h100i or the NH-D14 setup? Oh and I like to have the biggest fans a case can handle so if an all in one cooler is superior I would swap ou the h100i for an h110 in the future.

this can be close. If you get a loud pump the air cooler will be quieter. The liquid cooler should make less noise, temps will be close to each other. I like air just because of failure rate and general airflow across the motherboard. Each their own on this one.

So are for the h100i or the NH-D14 setup? Oh and I like to have the biggest fans a case can handle so if an all in one cooler is superior I would swap ou the h100i for an h110 in the future.

an H110i would perform better, and using 140mm fans will make your build quieter

I suggest some nf-P14 1200rpm PWM fans, and set a fan curve to have them running at minimum rpm at idle

this is as quiet as you will get

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Do you think the NH-D14 is quiter then the h100i with Noctuas?

It's easily quieter if you can control the fan speeds.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

It's easily quieter if you can control the fan speeds.

So of it can be the quietest, would it also be generly cooler for this setup?

yes, i think so. 110 may be more of match for the noctua.

yes, i think so. 110 may be more of match for the noctua.

Now remember that my only intake would be the fans pulling air  from the radiator into the case. I was thinking that a cooler without the rad would allow for cooler/slower fans.

The H100i performs better but is louder.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Now remember that my only intake would be the fans pulling air from the radiator into the case. I was thinking that a cooler without the rad would allow for cooler/slower fans.

i don't recommend that. You need airflow. Don't close off your front intakes. It won't be that loud, this depends of you. You want a intake and a exhaust to be a free flowing as possible, it makes more aiflow and less noise. 2 or 3 great fans can makes temps cool and noise not be a problem for most people.

So this is what I have Front: http://www22.zippyshare.com/v/OgQXo27i/file.html

Inside: http://www11.zippyshare.com/v/Dy7p9YQs/file.html

ok, this isn't bad at all, kinda strange looking with the rad fans :), can you move it to the top to have a unrestricted front airflow?

See the top has padded foam for sound dampening, what i am looking for is the optimal fan configuration for the space provided there. Also this case is new so the equipment in here was from another case this is why I have an h100i in there, but if i can improve my temps which might reduce noise I am all for it,

The H100i performs better but is louder.

Although the h100i is better for the cpu would an air heatsink be optimal for my case?

Although the h100i is better for the cpu would an air heatsink be optimal for my case?

The NH-D14 is quieter if you can control the fan speeds if that's what you're asking.

The NH-D14 is quieter if you can control the fan speeds if that's what you're asking.

I am asking is if you agree with blackadder's comment which makes me think that I can get better temperatures on my current configuration "i don't recommend that. You need airflow. Don't close off your front intakes." I posted pictures if your interested in looking at it.

See the top has padded foam for sound dampening, what i am looking for is the optimal fan configuration for the space provided there. Also this case is new so the equipment in here was from another case this is why I have an h100i in there, but if i can improve my temps which might reduce noise I am all for it,

I know them feels, it is a shame to have such nice moduvent-foamed panels on the top only to remove them, but I tried the front rad thing and my temps were worse.

Also about your question of the Noctua CPU cooler vs the H100i, I can't really speak to it since I've never owned or heard the Noctua. The H100 will totally give you better CPU cooling though.

If it's clearance you're worried about (I think you have Push/Pull there?) I was able to fit push/pull on the top of my R5 even with the massive heatsinks of Dominator sticks, so that shouldn't be an issue.

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

I know them feels, it is a shame to have such nice moduvent-foamed panels on the top only to remove them, but I tried the front rad thing and my temps were worse.

Also about your question of the Noctua CPU cooler vs the H100i, I can't really speak to it since I've never owned or heard the Noctua. The H100 will totally give you better CPU cooling though.

If it's clearance you're worried about (I think you have Push/Pull there?) I was able to fit push/pull on the top of my R5 even with the massive heatsinks of Dominator sticks, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for the reply. I do see that the h100i would be best on top, but i am trying to make this build with all vents closed. What I would like is peoples opinion on what gives me better overall temps the h100i upfront or a premium heat sink and two 140s upfront.  

Thanks for the reply. I do see that the h100i would be best on top, but i am trying to make this build with all vents closed. What I would like is peoples opinion on what gives me better overall temps the h100i upfront or a premium heat sink and two 140s upfront.

Going with air cooling would be better for overall temps when not removing moduvents.