Blackberry Passport wins TechnoBuffalo Readers Choice Smartphone 2015

After rounds of head to head match ups, The Blackberry Passport beat out 17 contenders including the Motorola Droid Turbo, Galaxy Note 4, HTC One M9 and finally the One Plus One in this year’s tournament voted by the readers. 

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2015/04/01/best-smartphone-readers-choice-mobile-madness-2015/ 

TechnoBuffalo-Mobile-Madness-2015-semi-f 

The Blackberry Classic made it to the Semi Finals, beating out the Sony Xperia Z3 and Nexus 6. 

So is this a comeback for the once doomed company? Two of their phones made into the top 4 from the 17 contenders? 

Cpu: Intel i5 4690k @3.5 Ghz*cooled by Corsair Hydro H105* | Case: NZXT H440 Black/Green | Motherbord: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK Black Edition Ram: Avexir Venom 16GB
Video Card: Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX980 4GB | Power Supply: Corsair TX850 | SSD: Samsung 500GB 850 Pro SSD: Samsung 500GB 840 Pro 
Monitor: ASUS 27" ROG Swift G-Sync 144mhz | Keyboard: Logitech G710+  | Mouse: Logitech G700s| Headset: Logitech G35 | Speakers: Logitech X530 5.1
NAS Set-up: Netgear ReadyNAS 104 "populated by 4 x 2TB Western Digital Red in RAID 6"

Im on the fence about the passport, if I was a business customer though I would probably get one

but for myself personally, its just not something I would ever consider

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

If I was offered one I'd certainly take it as BB10 is a pretty slick OS, although I'm not exactly very capable with a physical qwerty keyboard on a smartphone so I'd be unlikely to actually go and buy one.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Those results seem a bit off to me...

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Those readers must have different opinions than I have ^^

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

The One M9 lost to an iP6+  :blink: :blink: :blink:

Main System - 2016 13"nTB MBP 256GB

Gaming Rig - 4790K, 16GB RAM, 1080Ti
Monitor - Dell 25" U2515H

K/B & M - Ducky One TKL, Logitech MX Master & G900

Audio - JDS Labs The Element, Aktimate Mini B+, Krix Seismix 3 Mk6, Ultrasone Pro 900

Lol wut, then again technobuffalo has legion of blackberry supporters on it.

"BlackBerry fans really showed up to vote, again, for this year’s Mobile Madness and you can’t blame them for it."

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

"BlackBerry fans really showed up to vote, again, for this year’s Mobile Madness and you can’t blame them for it."

Maybe they feel like i do, where they deserve to be noticed/awarded for their hard efforts at trying to provide something different to the current stagnate mobile market, more competition is always good in the industry, to think smart phones over the next few years are all going to be touch screen only devices makes for a sad future.

The quality of their devices are not poor and i think with a little help with app development from developers, they could attract more customers who are these days quick to give them the shoulder. 

Cpu: Intel i5 4690k @3.5 Ghz*cooled by Corsair Hydro H105* | Case: NZXT H440 Black/Green | Motherbord: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK Black Edition Ram: Avexir Venom 16GB
Video Card: Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX980 4GB | Power Supply: Corsair TX850 | SSD: Samsung 500GB 850 Pro SSD: Samsung 500GB 840 Pro 
Monitor: ASUS 27" ROG Swift G-Sync 144mhz | Keyboard: Logitech G710+  | Mouse: Logitech G700s| Headset: Logitech G35 | Speakers: Logitech X530 5.1
NAS Set-up: Netgear ReadyNAS 104 "populated by 4 x 2TB Western Digital Red in RAID 6"

Probably a very small amount of people voted and a lot of technobuffalo readers are BlackBerry fanboys so it's not really a surprise.

I don't think they are making a comeback any time soon.

Im on the fence about the passport, if I was a business customer though I would probably get one

but for myself personally, its just not something I would ever consider

Its one of the best business phones on the market, with a killer battery for a smartphone that can run every app you truly care to ever want to run. I switch on and off from one, I still need my iPhone for some drone related uses, but the Passport is one amazing piece of kit with the software and hardware grunt to back it up. 

People in this thread just salty that a Blackberry won a popularity contest and are taking it personally. 

Fully justified, the Passport is simply the best smartphone I've ever used, in my personal opinion! 

And finally something different from the mass, that looks all the same!

:)

Corsair 900D |ASUS  Maximus V Formula | i7 3770K | 16 GB Dominator Platinum 1600Mhz | Asus GTX 780 |

Intel 520 Series 180Gb SSD | BeQuiet 860W PSU | GPU, CPU, MOBO watercooled with 2x480 rads, 12 BitFenix Spectre Pro total | Acrylic Tubing from Primochill | Icemodz RGB-LEDs | Aquacomputer pump, flow control and fan/liquid control | 27" Dell U2711

Build-Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/88573-the-red-beast-900d-780-liquidcooled-first-build/

Its one of the best business phones on the market, with a killer battery for a smartphone that can run every app you truly care to ever want to run. I switch on and off from one, I still need my iPhone for some drone related uses, but the Passport is one amazing piece of kit with the software and hardware grunt to back it up. 

People in this thread just salty that a Blackberry won a popularity contest and are taking it personally. 

Agreed, its a really nice piece of kit 100% agreed

The only reason I dont want one is I have too many iOS apps to swap platforms and I want all the games on my phone

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Agreed, its a really nice piece of kit 100% agreed

The only reason I dont want one is I have too many iOS apps to swap platforms and I want all the games on my phone

The handful of apps I need are available on Android, but Im not going to trust 1500 dollars worth of drone to a emulation backend that isn't 100%. Hell, I don't even trust the plain Android version on my S5. Too unstable for my liking. iOS apps are more rock solid in that regard, but even then I prefer using my ground station laptop if I can. 

Some things you just don't try and screw around with, I guess. 

Yeah sure...

Or maybe the poll is kind of predictable (Blackberry won last year too) and do not reflect the real world because of some flaws? Nahh, it's probably just that people are in denial and don't want to admit that the Passport is obviously the best phone on the market.

The handful of apps I need are available on Android, but Im not going to trust 1500 dollars worth of drone to a emulation backend that isn't 100%. Hell, I don't even trust the plain Android version on my S5. Too unstable for my liking. iOS apps are more rock solid in that regard, but even then I prefer using my ground station laptop if I can. 

Some things you just don't try and screw around with, I guess. 

yeah as I say, its just not a device for me or my needs, since i dont use my own personal devices for business use

Therefore for me, as a playtoy the passport fall short, but for everything else I really like it, it feels nice in the hand too, and I like its overall design, the software I a less up on, but from what I have played with, was very solid and responsive and well layed out

I liked the cool stuff like using the keyboard with touch gestures - thats a really neat trick

yeah as I say, its just not a device for me or my needs, since i dont use my own personal devices for business use

Therefore for me, as a playtoy the passport fall short, but for everything else I really like it, it feels nice in the hand too, and I like its overall design, the software I a less up on, but from what I have played with, was very solid and responsive and well layed out

I liked the cool stuff like using the keyboard with touch gestures - thats a really neat trick

I can touch type like no other but give me a good, honest to god Blackberry keyboard over anything else. 

Kids here are too young to understand that Blackberry keyboards are considered the Cherry MX 'insert type here' of the mobile keyboard world. They are THAT good. 

Now that Blackberry put behind a very capable OS with very capable hardware, people have no real excuse not to at least consider them as an option. But nope. the 'DAE BLACKBERRY IS SHITE!?!" mentality rivals the "DAE APPLE USERS ARE SHEEPLE?" mentality these days. 

I can touch type like no other but give me a good, honest to god Blackberry keyboard over anything else. 

Kids here are too young to understand that Blackberry keyboards are considered the Cherry MX 'insert type here' of the mobile keyboard world. They are THAT good. 

Now that Blackberry put behind a very capable OS with very capable hardware, people have no real excuse not to at least consider them as an option. But nope. the 'DAE BLACKBERRY IS SHITE!?!" mentality rivals the "DAE APPLE USERS ARE SHEEPLE?" mentality these days. 

I am actually not a fan of physical qwerty keyboards, always struggled with holding the phone as I use them - I have TINY hands for a guy so i find it hard - but I rarely if ever type anything longer than a sentance on my phone so I honestly dont care

Oh I give up with the "mentality" of this forum for anything really, its just full of negativity

what was wrong with finding all tech and gadgets cool- I still do!!, but I seem to be quite alone in that thought

The One M9 lost to an iP6+  :blink: :blink: :blink:

Because an iPhone 6+ is better in every way than an overheating lazy designed M9

So is this a comeback for the once doomed company? Two of their phones made into the top 4 from the 17 contenders? 

No, just Crackberry people spaming the votes (before the email check at the final), the same happened last year although that time blackberry tweeted about the contest inviting their fans to help the z30 take the win

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Those readers must have different opinions than I have ^^

nah we don't; it's just crackberry people who come invade the site during the contest, then they magically disappear for an entire year

they just cpme forthe contest since last year when blackberry tweeted about it, then they vanish for a full year; the community is mostly ios vs android vs wp

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I am surprised they put the M9 ahead of the GS6.