Insane Storage Issues on Boot SSD

MajorChipHazard
Go to solution Solved by MrBucket101,

I use spacemonger, but I bought a license, I like that it visually displays larger files and folders as bigger in the hard drive map.

Makes finding where most of my space has gone a breeze

WinDirStat is probably the best free alternative though

I was extremely hesitant to delete them, because I was told that one of the fastest ways to screw up your installation of windows is to start messing around in the temp folders.

Especially with the files that are modified daily...

Nah you should be fine, your temp folder doesn't persist after reboot anyways (or if it does it will be overwritten). It's called a Temporary Folder for a reason ;)

My Samsung 840 Series 120 GB SSD is having some major storage issues.

When I first built my PC I installed 1 or two games on it as well as my OS. (8.1) and still had about 30 gigs to spare

I have since uninstalled all games from the drive.  I have no movies, or big software installed on it.

For the past few months I've gone into my file explorer and seen that the drive space is in the "red" state and 

is displaying a very low disk space left (somewhere in the 5 GB Range)

I used to fix this by going through and cleaning up things like my downloads folder, disk cleanup, etc. 

However the drive is now almost constantly in the red state despite having little to nothing installed on it but my OS.

If I first turn on my PC the free space on the drive is enough to keep it out of the red state, but after a half hour or so of just browsing

around the internet the disk goes back into the red state and somehow suddenly eats more space!

So how can I fix this? I've noticed that my TEMP folder is excessively large.  I've screen capped examples:

Local, LocalLow, Roaming: http://i.imgur.com/ACO5OCh.png

I would greatly appreciate any help or ideas you have on how to clear up this phantom space

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K @ 4.4 GHz Motherboard: MSI Z87 G43 RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked Case: Bitfenix Ronin

Storage: 120 GB Samsung 840 series SSD, WD Green 2TB PSU: XFX core edition 650W Display(s): ASUS VE228H 21.5IN 1080P Cooling: CM Hyper 212+

Keyboard: Microsoft P.O.S Mouse: Corsair Raptor M40 Sound: Sennheiser PC 330 Headset

use windirstat to look at whats taking up all the space

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Feel free to delete them. Programs use those temp folders for temporary storage for whatever they need to do.

What you should do is figure out what program is generating all that garbage in your temp folders.

I remember there was a tool that mapped your hardrive that linus showed off at some point, let me try to find it. I will edit my post once I do.

Sorry for double post. Page did not load :P

Might as well use this post, the software was called Spacesniffer. 

I use it to check what files are big and what takes a lot of room and decides whatever needs to be cleaned up.

Feel free to delete them. Programs use those temp folders for temporary storage for whatever they need to do.

What you should do is figure out what program is generating all that garbage in your temp folders.

I was extremely hesitant to delete them, because I was told that one of the fastest ways to screw up your installation of windows is to start messing around in the temp folders.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K @ 4.4 GHz Motherboard: MSI Z87 G43 RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked Case: Bitfenix Ronin

Storage: 120 GB Samsung 840 series SSD, WD Green 2TB PSU: XFX core edition 650W Display(s): ASUS VE228H 21.5IN 1080P Cooling: CM Hyper 212+

Keyboard: Microsoft P.O.S Mouse: Corsair Raptor M40 Sound: Sennheiser PC 330 Headset

I use spacemonger, but I bought a license, I like that it visually displays larger files and folders as bigger in the hard drive map.

Makes finding where most of my space has gone a breeze

WinDirStat is probably the best free alternative though

Nah you should be fine, your temp folder doesn't persist after reboot anyways (or if it does it will be overwritten). It's called a Temporary Folder for a reason ;)

Thanks guys!  I deleted the temp files that were taking up so much space and got rid of some other things that I didn't see before that WinDirStat showed me.

I now have over 35 gigs of free space on my SSD! Thanks again :D