Amazon Is Testing Its Delivery Drones in a Secret Location in Canada

fnunyfcwtiwduvwlrdjg.jpg

Because Canada is a great deal more awesome and understanding about the field, they're letting Amazon have 'carte blanche' in how they test and actually deploy their drones. The guidelines seem pretty fair. Above 200 feet, below 500 feet. Ranges of 10 miles as well, so this kind of setup is very feasible for deliveries from a warehouse for goods that are under  5 pounds. Which happens to be a fair chunk of items that people might buy on the daily basis. 

Its weird that Canada is more accepting of this and being more mobile in their approval of it than the FAA, who really seems to the be the only agency on Earth who is taking such a long time getting caught up with the times. 

Even consumer flight controllers are exceptionally capable for such a purpose, so its not hard to imagine that Amazon has put in some serious engineering towards creating platforms geared specifically for this one purpose. 

What it didn't say at the time was that it had been testing and tweaking drones in the meantime, just over the border. Canada has, apparently, been incredibly relaxed about drone testing, offering "a virtual carte blanche" for the experiments.

The Guardian explains that a "formidable team of roboticists, software engineers, aeronautics experts and pioneers in remote sensing — including a former Nasa astronaut and the designer of the wingtip of the Boeing 787" — are staffed in British Columbia. They're apparently working on a number of projects, reports the Guardian, including:

sensors that can detect and avoid obstacles in a drone's path; link-loss procedures that control the aircraft should its connection with base be broken; stability in wind and turbulence; and environmental impact. Once each of these facets has been perfected, a new Amazon prototype drone will be assembled that [is predicted to] be utterly safe and wholly unlike anything seen before.

Amazon tells the Guardian that the resulting aircraft will operate in a "slice of virgin airspace – above 200ft, where most buildings end, and below 500ft, where general aviation begins." There, it suggests, they'll carry packages weighing up to 5lbs over distances greater than 10 miles at 50 mph.

Quite how far progressed any of this technology is remains somewhat unclear in the article. But what is clear is that it's far, far further ahead than if Amazon had stuck it out with the FAA.

http://gizmodo.com/amazon-is-testing-its-delivery-drones-in-a-secret-locat-1694480406

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/mar/30/amazon-tests-drones-secret-site-canada-us-faa

GO CANADA!

I think I'm going to have to get prime now....

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

GO CANADA!

I think I'm going to have to get prime now....

Prime is a underrated service. You get so much that the 35-70 a year becomes a very reasonable thing to buy. Just for shipping alone, I know I've saved 350 dollars worth of express shipping alone. 

Amazon please come to the Netherlands. And while you are coming, please bring Google Fiber with you.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

When/if this becomes a thing, what stops people from sitting out, waiting for their package and then just stealing and/or demolishing the drone?

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Oops double post.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Canada needs Google Fibre real bad 

Everyone needs a decent ISP real bad, with all those megalomaniacal companies stopping inovation and such. 

Back on topic; I really have very little experience with Amazon, I've ordered a few things on Amazon.de and Amazon.co.uk and to be fair that wasn't a very good shopping experience. But I'd still like them to come to the Netherlands. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

When/if this becomes a thing, what stops people from sitting out, waiting for their package and then just stealing and/or demolishing the drone?

they probably wont just carry simple cardboard boxes. I'm sure they will be in some sorta of "safe" and you type in a code or something that was given to you when you checked out on amazon.

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

maybe they will ring the doorbell
Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Repost! Great News, VS

Started by Victorious Secret, 33 minutes ago 

Started by Tao, 35 minutes ago

Yeah its so sad.  The best speed is 175-175 and it costs 130 dollars for 550 GB of data. The worst is what is under that. I currently only have 5 mbits down and 1 up  with unlimited data and it costs us I think 50$ per month. It is just ridiculous

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

Actually, Cogeco (fairly local company I think) has pretty decent rates, a bit more than Google Fiber and lower speeds but still higher than most need and not super expensive. I have 55/10 for $60 a month. 250/20 for $100 a month. Then Bell has 175-175 for $130 plus another $15 for unlimited. So not horrid put not great either. 

they probably wont just carry simple cardboard boxes. I'm sure they will be in some sorta of "safe" and you type in a code or something that was given to you when you checked out on amazon.

I was talking about the drone it's self. And I doubt that. It'll probably come in a reinforced container that they drop off in front of your door like any other. Doubt it'll come with a password though. Probably cheap plastic or really good cardboard.

I was talking about the drone it's self. And I doubt that. It'll probably come in a reinforced container that they drop off in front of your door like any other. Doubt it'll come with a password though. Probably cheap plastic or really good cardboard.

but what would keep it from getting wet and such? And the drone itself will probably have GPS and camera and such to prevent and/or stop people who do take them

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Sasktel is doing a fibre network in Saskatchewan currently ;)

but what would keep it from getting wet and such? And the drone itself will probably have GPS and camera and such to prevent and/or stop people who do take them

Nothing. I doubt they'll be flying in the rain. Nothing prevents regular packages from getting wet either. They just put it in a dry place.

Nothing. I doubt they'll be flying in the rain. Nothing prevents regular packages from getting wet either. They just put it in a dry place.

Motors can be treated for resistance and repelling water, and most flight controller components can be covered as well. As far as what they'd place the products in, pelican cases are entirely weatherproof. 

I always saw the whole Amazon drone thing as nothing but a simple publicity stunt. I'm honestly surprised that they are actually moving forward with this.this is actually pretty cool. it will definitely be interesting to see if this becomes successful. Only problem I see with it now it's that the drones will likely need to flown by someone as the tech isn't quite cheap enough yet for a fully autonomous done to avoid everyday obstacles.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz