Is it time for me to upgrade?

Oseth

So this is the rig that I am running right now. I was wondering if you guys think it's time for me to build something new?

Or if I should just upgrade some of the parts?

Maybe double up on the GPU?

What would you do if you had this thing standing on your desk and you hands itching to take it apart?

Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer  ($26.75 @ OutletPC) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($199.98 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $883.15
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-30 10:25 EDT-0400

There's not really anything that is particularly bad.

CPU is still good and GPU is dcent.

Still enough RAM and all that stuff.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Honestly, I would wait.  That rig is still just fine, I'd wait until at least Skylake honestly.. see what that brings along with whatever GPUs exist at that time.   That is still perfectly capable for 1080p.

What do you use your PC for? Gaming? 

• CPU i5 3570k - 4.0 Ghz | Motherboard Intel DZ77SL50K | RAM Corsair Vengeance 4GB 1600 BUS DDR3 4GBx1 | GPU 2x Sparkle GTX 570 OC editionCase CM 370 EliteStorage Seagate 1TB 3.5" SATA HARD DRIVE 64MB CACHEPSU Cooler Master GX series 550W (80+ bronze)Display(s) Samsung 46' series 5 TV(1080p), Dell 20' (1280x1024)Cooling 3x Corsair SP120 QUIET EDITION HIGH STATIC PRESSURE 120MM FAN TWIN PACKKeyboard DELL original default keyboardMouse A4 Tech x2 800dpi | Sound On board~!

No, don't go SLI GTX 760. I know it is good and will deliver more performance than a TITAN BLACK, but it's still SLI and scaling is not perfect, believe me I know, I have the MARS 760x2. I would advise you to just sell it and buy a GTX 970 or something like that. R9 290s are going for dirt cheap right now as well. Also you can always step up to a 980X processor with 6-cores and overclock it, but this is a secondary thing. I would definitely upgrade the graphics card first. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Only if the performance of your PC is not good enough for you (fps too low, PC slow). Build a broadwell rig.

If u don't play demanding games and are satisfied with everything then go for Skylake next year and get a pascal (next gen Nvidia GPU) GTX 1070.

Don't go sli on 760s, its old gen and not worth the money. DX11 doesn't like SLI anyway....

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

What do you use your PC for? Gaming? 

Yes, gaming mostly.

No, don't go SLI GTX 760. I know it is good and will deliver more performance than a TITAN BLACK, but it's still SLI and scaling is not perfect, believe me I know, I have the MARS 760x2. I would advise you to just sell it and buy a GTX 970 or something like that. R9 290s are going for dirt cheap right now as well. Also you can always step up to a 980X processor with 6-cores and overclock it, but this is a secondary thing. I would definitely upgrade the graphics card first. 

Sweet, will consider it.

Only if the performance of your PC is not good enough for you (fps too low, PC slow). Build a broadwell rig.

If u don't play demanding games and are satisfied with everything then go for Skylake next year and get a pascal (next gen Nvidia GPU) GTX 1070.

Don't go sli on 760s, its old gen and not worth the money. DX11 doesn't like SLI anyway....

Ah, seems like I should wait and go this route in a year or so. Thanks. My only concern is the price, lol. Might have to wait two years.

Only upgrade if you need to, and if you don't need to upgrade now, wait the the 300 series comes out and the GTX 990 (or 980ti) (yes it has been confirmed look it up) and then the prices of the other cards will drop.

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2

Damn, I didn't even think about the 980X.

Damn, I didn't even think about the 980X.

That's because you probably never owned one. They are amazing chips and are currently sold second hand on the cheap. Also the 980X is so much better than the FX AMD lineup...  :)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

The biggest issue is that I chose LGA1366 when I built this not knowing where it was heading. I believe all the new ones have PCI 3.0 now and this one is still 2.0, add in the odd CPU comparability and no matter which way I look at it I think waiting and building something new in a year or some will be the best option. Thank you for all the feedback, much appreciated.

Ah, seems like I should wait and go this route in a year or so. Thanks. My only concern is the price, lol. Might have to wait two years.

U have about 12 months and u should need $1200 if u went for i7 and 1070 with ddr3 ram rig. DDR4 will still be expensive.

Not sure how old u are but get a part-time or full time job for summer and keep half of what u earn for the rig. (In case u are a teenager)

2.6Ghz clock on CPU is pretty low so getting a new GPU meanwhile wouldnt be beneficial I THINK.

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

That's because you probably never owned one. They are amazing chips and are currently sold second hand on the cheap. Also the 980X is so much better than the FX AMD lineup...  :)

Sorry, I quoted to get your attention. I noticed in your signature that you have 2x SSDs @ RAID 0, is that a significant improvement to read/write speeds?

U have about 12 months and u should need $1200 if u went for i7 and 1070 with ddr3 ram rig. DDR4 will still be expensive.

Not sure how old u are but get a part-time or full time job for summer and keep half of what u earn for the rig. (In case u are a teenager)

Is DDR4 that much better? I always thought that capacity was always the major when it came to RAM?

Sorry, I quoted to get your attention. I noticed in your signature that you have 2x SSDs @ RAID 0, is that a significant improvement to read/write speeds?

I have been switching between one SSD and two in RAID 0 for some times, I had to use one of the SSDs in a laptop and I must say that there is indeed some difference, but not a lot. In day to day tasks you don't really feel it, especially when you get used to it. It's just loading times that are a bit faster and that's pretty much it. Imo, the cost of 2 SSDs for RAID 0 is not really that justified. I would only do it if you have already reached a point where everything about your rig is relatively maxed out. In other words, a second SSD just for the RAID 0 should be the last thing you buy. 

Is DDR4 that much better? I always thought that capacity was always the major when it came to RAM?

I know this is not intended for me to answer, but me and @ProKoN did some tests on this a while ago just for the sake of it and compared high speed DDR3 vs DDR4 and how timings affect latency. Look at this thread here -> http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/289184-which-is-better-ddr4-at-3000mhz-cl15-or-3200mhz-cl16/ 

if you have got the money for it, then go for it mate! :)

Oh mate, these days aint no one got no money!!! I am just planing and masterminding, hehe.

You don't need to buy Windows 7 Ultimate. If you compare Windows 7 ultimate to Windows 7 professional you are barely getting an upgrade that you will use unless you want to use windows in loads of different languages. If anything I would buy Windows 8.1 professional.

You don't need to buy Windows 7 Ultimate. If you compare Windows 7 ultimate to Windows 7 professional you are barely getting an upgrade that you will use unless you want to use windows in loads of different languages. If anything I would buy Windows 8.1 professional.

If anything I would wait for windows 10 unless there us windows 8.1 for less than $30 and then free upgrade to windows 10.

I just know its not a deal breaker for general public at this point. I don't remember any benchmarks but its hard to say if its good to go for ddr4 build next year or not.

From gaming point of view its pointless since ram never provided a significant performance improvement. So stick with ddr3 for your next build :)

I would imagine that ddr4 would be a standard once cannonlake CPUs get released (2018/19 the future :D )

So this is the rig that I am running right now. I was wondering if you guys think it's time for me to build something new?

Or if I should just upgrade some of the parts?

Maybe double up on the GPU?

What would you do if you had this thing standing on your desk and you hands itching to take it apart?

Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer  ($26.75 @ OutletPC) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($199.98 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $883.15
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-30 10:25 EDT-0400

I think you should upgrade your CPU, But Everything else seems to be alright in my opinion.

(at least for 1080p gaming)

Will Barnes

Radeon Master Race Club Member