Advice for upgrading to ssd in ASUS ROG laptop

Hello fellow LTT-ers!

I just bought an Asus ROG GL551JW, and i wish to immediately swap the 1TB HDD with one of the Crucial M500 SSDs in my rig upon arrival.

My questions are;

Whats the fastest way to make a clean install on a formatted SSD, without needing to get a new OS key?

Should I install the SSD, then install windows VIA CD?

Will the OS key remain with the laptop since im not changing any mobo or such?

Would it just be easier to add an SSD with the HDD? Is there any way to do that? And how?

Any help would be awesome, as i would love to know how to do this upgrade before my laptop arrives tommorow. 

Thanks!

CPU: i5-3570k @4.6Ghz MOBO: Asus Sabertooth P67 GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 980 Superclocked Reference @1.5Ghz Core, 8Ghz Memory

RAM: Crucial Ballistix tactical tracer 8GB  PSU: Cooler Master V700 Fully Modular CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i Water Cooler

CASE: Corsair Graphite 760T STORAGE: Two 240 GB Crucial M500 SSD RAID 0 + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 64MB cache 7200RPM 

I had a G750JW last year. When I got it (Windows 8), here is what I did:

1/ Asus BackTracker to save image of Windows onto a 16Go USB FlashDrive;

2/ Remove HDD, install SSD (to prevent any partition going to the HDD);

3/ Install Windows 7 onto the SSD;

When I sold my laptop, I reinstalled Windows 8 onto the SSD with Asus BackTracker.

I had a G750JW last year. When I got it (Windows 8), here is what I did:

1/ Asus BackTracker to save image of Windows onto a 16Go USB FlashDrive;

2/ Remove HDD, install SSD (to prevent any partition going to the HDD);

3/ Install Windows 7 onto the SSD;

When I sold my laptop, I reinstalled Windows 8 onto the SSD with Asus BackTracker.

Thanks! What if i install the ssd using an optical drive bay caddy? Can i install windows to the ssd with the hdd connected?

CPU: i5-3570k @4.6Ghz MOBO: Asus Sabertooth P67 GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 980 Superclocked Reference @1.5Ghz Core, 8Ghz Memory

RAM: Crucial Ballistix tactical tracer 8GB  PSU: Cooler Master V700 Fully Modular CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i Water Cooler

CASE: Corsair Graphite 760T STORAGE: Two 240 GB Crucial M500 SSD RAID 0 + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 64MB cache 7200RPM 

Thanks! What if i install the ssd using an optical drive bay caddy? Can i install windows to the ssd with the hdd connected?

Sure you can, just make sure to install Windows onto the right drive ;). I know that Windows 7 create a partition (100Mo, protected) on the HDD even if you install Windows on the SSD. That's why I disconnect every other drive but the SSD when performing the installation. But for Windows 8 I don't know if it does that too... If it doesn't, well then you can keep the HDD connected.

But why don't you just clone the HDD to the SSD? Would be easier if you want to keep Windows 8...

Sure you can, just make sure to install Windows onto the right drive ;). I know that Windows 7 create a partition (100Mo, protected) on the HDD even if you install Windows on the SSD. That's why I disconnect every other drive but the SSD when performing the installation. But for Windows 8 I don't know if it does that too... If it doesn't, well then you can keep the HDD connected.

But why don't you just clone the HDD to the SSD? Would be easier if you want to keep Windows 8...

What free/ safe software do you recommend?

Actually it's better not cloning: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324733-os-cloning-tool/

I've never cloned anything, so I don't know more than you. Best you can do then is what I did: save image of Windows onto a flashdrive with Asus Backtracker, then install it onto the ssd ;).

Since it's a new OS, if i install onto the ssd, will the product key remain with the laptop and just transfer to the ssd after installation?

1. Back up files from old HDD onto an external drive, USB, etc.
  2. Create a bootable USB w/ windows iso if you don't have the installation CD http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media
  3. Swap out the drives
  4. Boot computer from CD/USB and work from there.
  5. The windows key should be embedded into the motherboard.

I immediately swapped the 1TB HDD w a 120GB Samsung Pro when I first got my laptop (Lenovo U530 Touch) and I've just upgraded the 120GB to a 500GB Samsung Evo a week ago.

I'd recommend you don't clone your drive as it won't necessarily be a clean windows install. Transfer your main documents over to like a thumbdrive or cloud or something and work from there.

i hate making new accounts