z97 Motherboards with USB 3.1 c

What currently available boards for USB 3.1 c are a solid choice?

I am kind of in a rush for buying a new PC, so i can not wait untill they flesh out their boards. But i saw that there actually ARE some available with usb 3.1 c connectors already.

Informations seem to be scare tho and pages like from ASRock only list a card with USB 3.1c.

So is there a good board around with native support for this feature yet? Could i just buy one of those cards from Asus or ASRock and plug them into a gigabyte board?

Any insight would be most helpful, thanks!

only a few mobo models have them and they cost a lot more

and no you cant just simply buy a Asus card and plug into a Gigabyte mobo

not all mobo support USB 3.1 without a BIOS update

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

The only ones I know of are ASRock and the MSI Z97A Gaming 6

That is what i saw as well.

ASRock only offers z97 with an additional card. The MSI z97 Gaming 6 actually has the port onboard.

Not sure i can get one in germany tho. At least not in the 7 day time window that remains.

Having time pressure sure sucks for building a PC... waiting for these boards / check out if AMD can deliver something nice would be so much nicer right now. Oh well.

ASRock only offers z97 with an additional card. The MSI z97 Gaming 6 actually has the port onboard.

Not sure i can get one in germany tho. At least not in the 7 day time window that remains.

Having time pressure sure sucks for building a PC... waiting for these boards / check out if AMD can deliver something nice would be so much nicer right now. Oh well.

I wouldn't bet on amd having usb3.1. They Dont even have pcie3

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

I wouldn't count on AMD releasing anything soon. They haven't updated their socket/chipsets for a while, and their high end CPUs and socket (AM3+) are dead now and are not going to be updated as far as I know. 

It will probably come around with the Z170/H170 chipsets when Skylake comes, likely not until 2016 or Q4 2015.

I wouldn't bet on amd having usb3.1. They Dont even have pcie3

I don't expect nice things from AMD, but i also don't rule them out. I usually like to wait for big new releases. Was talking about their 300 GPU line tho. Not going to use an adm chip for this build ;-)

That being said: I can not find a shop for the MSI Gaming 6. At least none that has any eta on delivery at all. Propably more then 7 days, so i am screwed i guess.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132505

Kind of pricey and its not on the board itself. Have to use a pci express slot. 

Edit" Didn't see it was E atx until after I posted sorry.

I7 5820k, Asus X99 Sabertooth, 980Ti Classified, 32gb Gskill Ripjaws 4, Corsair Rm1000i, Samsung 950 Pro, Custom Loop Xspc Cpu Block Ek Gpu Block, Windows 10, Define S. Acer Predator XB271HU

I don't expect nice things from AMD, but i also don't rule them out. I usually like to wait for big new releases. Was talking about their 300 GPU line tho. Not going to use an adm chip for this build ;-)

That being said: I can not find a shop for the MSI Gaming 6. At least none that has any eta on delivery at all. Propably more then 7 days, so i am screwed i guess.

Amazon does. Dont know if you can buy from there.

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

Asus has two boards. One for 180ish bucks and the need for a PCI Card. One for 330ish bucks onboard.

Same for ASRock as far as i can tell.

The clear winner for price / performance is the MSI Z97A Gaming 6 tho. 180ish bucks, good audio onboard, sata express, m.2, onboard usb c type.... Not a single shop seems to know when they will arive tho.

Listed as "march", but it seems unlikely.

Damn bad time to be pressed for time.

It is either spending 150 bucks extra, wait for "we don't know when", use up a PCI E slot for an extra card that looks ugly in a windowed case, or exchange the board down the line.

Thanks for the suggestions up to this point!

If anyone finds a 150-230ish $ board that is already available with onboard usb 3.1 c, please stop by and let me know!

is usb 3.1 going to make a whole lot of sense?

How long will it take before devices are ready for that?

Its nice for the future, but for now... not realy.

Don't count on AMD to bring anything new to the table. The AM3 (+) socket has been out for 7 years and the technology with it hasn't evolved much. Ultimately it is down to the motherboard manufacturers to implement that option on their board in case it is not supported natively by the chipset, which in the case of AMD it isn't (nor for that matter is USB 3.0). Therefore, knowing that there isn't much high-end market for AMD FX processors, no sane manufacturer will deliver a new motherboard that has this feature. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Amazon does. Dont know if you can buy from there.

I can buy from anywhere if needed.

Can you give me a link tho? I can not seem to find the Gaming 6 board on either amazon.com or amazon.com.uk. amazon.de does not list it either.

They sometimes do have very strange names there, so i may missunderstand what they actually offer... most don't have pictures of the ports either to double check.

is usb 3.1 going to make a whole lot of sense?

How long will it take before devices are ready for that?

Its nice for the future, but for now... not realy.

Since Apple has this port as ONLY port for their new Macbook it is VERY likely that the industry will adapt fast.

Also i don't want to upgrade this machine for about 5 years. By that time c connector will be the standard for everything. It is just too convenient and good to not use it.

After all mainboards only differ by their features. And most 150+ boards offer all features that are even remotly useful. USB c type definitly is one of the best features in my book.

I can buy from anywhere if needed.

Can you give me a link tho? I can not seem to find the Gaming 6 board on either amazon.com or amazon.com.uk. amazon.de does not list it either.

They sometimes do have very strange names there, so i may missunderstand what they actually offer... most don't have pictures of the ports either to double check.

Oh, I found a gaming 7 that has 3.1, it is probs a bit better than the 6.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00UN7ARW6/ref=dp_ob_neva_mobile

About 190$

Spoiler

Oh, I found a gaming 7 that has 3.1, it is probs a bit better than the 6.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00UN7ARW6/ref=dp_ob_neva_mobile

About 190$

Sadly that is only a type a connector. At least according to the box. It does LOOK like a type c tho... will have to do some more research on that one. Thanks!

Edit: It infact is Type a only. Damn.

Sadly that is only a type a connector. At least according to the box. It does LOOK like a type c tho... will have to do some more research on that one. Thanks!

Edit: It infact is Type a only. Damn.

Type a male to type c female cord?

Spoiler

Type a male to type c female cord?

I was under the impression that Type c actually offered features the type a can not do yet. Is that assumtion wrong?

If i can really just use an adapter and go with type a meanwhile that would make buying the right board WAY easier.

Are you 100% sure an adapter does not sacrifice any functionallity? Is all the functionallity in the USB 3.1 specs themselves?

Excuse me for sounding dumb here,... i was not aware of the possibility, or even checked for that, due to assuming type c added functionallity.

Will try and find some in depth information to close that gap of knowledge.

What currently available boards for USB 3.1 c are a solid choice?

USB 3.1 is a feature you will want with your next computer...not this one..no device as of yet for USB 3.1..will take years before you need it.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I was under the impression that Type c actually offered features the type a can not do yet. Is that assumtion wrong?

If i can really just use an adapter and go with type a meanwhile that would make buying the right board WAY easier.

Are you 100% sure an adapter does not sacrifice any functionallity? Is all the functionallity in the USB 3.1 specs themselves?

Excuse me for sounding dumb here,... i was not aware of the possibility, or even checked for that, due to assuming type c added functionallity.

Will try and find some in depth information to close that gap of knowledge.

Try and look it up, but I think type c only adds more power, but not even sure about that.

You may have to create your own cable with a type a to a and a c to c. Would just have to look up which colors are data and which are power, then you could solder them together, use a little heatshrink around each solder, and then a larger piece of heatshrink for the whole collection of wires. You'd have a clean, good looking cable with no open wires.

Spoiler

USB 3.1 is a feature you will want with your next computer...not this one..no device as of yet for USB 3.1..will take years before you need it.

To be honest: I don't know for sure. But i don't want to miss out on it if i can just get it in a board that is not more expensive then the one i was going to buy anyways. No reason to skip it.

That and i am a bit on the nerdy side when upgrading. I just want it. If i would go with only what i REALLY needed,... i would propably spend 500 bucks on a PC and not 1750 ;-)

Try and look it up, but I think type c only adds more power, but not even sure about that.

You may have to create your own cable with a type a to a and a c to c. Would just have to look up which colors are data and which are power, then you could solder them together, use a little heatshrink around each solder, and then a larger piece of heatshrink for the whole collection of wires. You'd have a clean, good looking cable with no open wires.

Found an adapter. Looks like it only suppots 5gb/sec and not the faster 10gb/sec. The charging speed seems to be the same as a native Type c. So this could be for this single adapter only and not a general problem.

Really starting to get confused here, but will do more research on this topic.

Can anyone confirm if an adapter would provide the full features of a native type c, that would be awesome.

Since Apple has this port as ONLY port for their new Macbook it is VERY likely that the industry will adapt fast.

Also i don't want to upgrade this machine for about 5 years. By that time c connector will be the standard for everything. It is just too convenient and good to not use it.

After all mainboards only differ by their features. And most 150+ boards offer all features that are even remotly useful. USB c type definitly is one of the best features in my book.

Lmao. Allright. Holy fuck is it ever hard to know which way a USB plug goes in. 

Intel 4790 K - R9 295X2 - Gigabyte Z97-SLI - Corsair Vengeance Pro Black 1866 CAL9 - Corsair HX 1000 -Samsung 850 EVO SSD - Samsung HDD - H100I - Corsair C70 - G400 Logitech - Asus VS247H - WASD custom mechanical and QCKPAD! 

Staples of LTT: Getting an 4690 K will resurrect your lost family members, AMD = More heat thus AMD = Satan. 

Lmao. Allright. Holy fuck is it ever hard to know which way a USB plug goes in. 

Type c is not about plugging it in the right way.

It is about being small as hell. Think Laptops, Ultrabooks, Smartphones mainly. One connector to rule them all basically.

The sooner everything has this stuff, the sooner we can all get along with only one cable. That is a pretty nice thing :-)

Concercing the adapter idea earlier, i found this article: http://www.howtogeek.com/211843/usb-type-c-explained-what-it-is-and-why-youll-want-it/

It seems like type c really does not add any functionallity and is only a shape. USB 3.1 offers everything that makes the new standard so awesome.

Only have to make sure the cable itself supports 10gb/sec and you seem to be set.

Guess i can relax and just get a usb 3.1 board now.

Thanks for all the helpful hints and links you all gave me! Love this community.

Price of the USB 3.1 card I've read is around $30 dollars, but if you buy the board itself say one with USB 3.1 and the other without, then the price difference is around $10 or so.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list