Scientists at Large Hadron Collider look to prove "rainbow gravity" theory, disprove Big Bang.

DevilishBooster

I have a theory in my head that I never tell anybody because I'm sure they would dismiss me as crazy, but that I wish I could tell to the right people to see if it holds any water. It's something that a friend and I came up with in a single lunch period way back in high school. We didn't even eat any of our lunch because we couldn't stop talking about it. It's one of those things that has been burning in the back of my mind for 10 years and I wish I could get it answered. Oh well, what can you do?

No, you don't have a theory, you have a hypothesis. By the looks of it, it seems more like a guess.

If you want you can send me a PM as i'm currently studying Quantum Mechanics and have friends who work at CERN on the LHC.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

I personally think that the parallel universe theories will all fail and turn out to be just another religious approach by our stupid species to answer big questions.

Can you explain to me how they are a "religious" approach?

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

I have a theory in my head that I never tell anybody because I'm sure they would dismiss me as crazy, but that I wish I could tell to the right people to see if it holds any water. It's something that a friend and I came up with in a single lunch period way back in high school. We didn't even eat any of our lunch because we couldn't stop talking about it. It's one of those things that has been burning in the back of my mind for 10 years and I wish I could get it answered. Oh well, what can you do?

I always run my physics theories by @LukaP, he's a physicist.

I'm sure my drunken physics theories are either entertaining or annoying, probably a little of both.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I'm sure my drunken physics theories are either entertaining or annoying, probably a little of both.

Your misuse of the term "theory" is probably more annoying than either of those.

Also is he not a student still? His profile doesn't specify the field, neither the branch.

Can you explain to me how they are a "religious" approach?

Its another one of those explanations which:

- makes EVERYTHING possible

- cannot be tested

- is super generalized 

- and as Richard Feynman said - "it smells of angels"

History has always shown that when you investigate reality, it turns out to be very specific and you can interact with it. Parallel universes sound more like mysticism... its just the modern religious thinking that the kids LIKE to BELIEVE.

Its another one of those explanations which:

- makes EVERYTHING possible

- cannot be tested

- is super generalized 

- and as Richard Feynman said - "it smells of angels"

History has always shown that when you investigate reality, it turns out to be very specific and you can interact with it. Parallel universes sound more like mysticism... its just the modern religious thinking that the kids LIKE to BELIEVE.

How does it make everything possible?

This is not the "many-worlds" interpretation of quantum mechanics.

Quote from one of the researchers:

"Normally, when people think of the multiverse, they think of the many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics, where every possibility is actualized. This cannot be tested and so it is philosophy and not science. This is not what we mean by parallel universes. What we mean is real universes in extra dimensions. As gravity can flow out of our universe into the extra dimensions, such a model can be tested by the detection of mini black holes at the LHC. We have calculated the energy at which we expect to detect these mini black holes in gravity's rainbow [a new theory]. If we do detect mini black holes at this energy, then we will know that both gravity's rainbow and extra dimensions are correct."

The gravity's rainbow theory predicts the existence of black holes at those specific energy levels which can now be achieved by the LHC, if they detect them then it will support several ideas: parallel universes, extra dimensions, string theory and gravity's rainbow itself, with these last two having implications for a theory of quantum gravity. It will also solve the famous information paradox in black holes.

You call this generalized?

"Parallel universes sound more like mysticism" you are making an argument out of incredulity and a straw man.

Also scientists don't "believe" or "like to believe" anything, alright? They start with an hypothesis, then they formulate a theory which can be tested in some way, be it experimentally, mathematically or via observation (direct or indirect).

annoying. 

and about that theory you have, its already been developed, im just not sure how its called. google a little, youll find it

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

snip

I know how science works.

And thank you for clearing that up for me. I just took a glance at it and it looked to me like that "many worlds" crap.

annoying. 

and about that theory you have, its already been developed, im just not sure how its called. google a little, youll find it

I'm annoyed by the casual misuse of the term "theory", even by you?

So what was his hypothesis then? If it even goes that far.

I'm annoyed by the casual misuse of the term "theory", even by you?

So what was his hypothesis then? If it even goes that far.

It was a competing THEORY a few years ago, cant rememeber how its called but it was then disproved. And dont worry, i dont misuse my theories, hypotheses and ideas ;)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

It was a competing THEORY a few years ago, cant rememeber how its called but it was then disproved. And dont worry, i dont misuse my theories, hypotheses and ideas ;)

I was referring to his idea/guess/hypothesis which happened to coincide with an already existing theory.

I was referring to his idea/guess/hypothesis which happened to coincide with an already existing theory.

oh, i never commented on his idea :P 

oh, i never commented on his idea :P

Well, you said "that theory you have", obviously he did not have one, had an idea/hypothesis which happened to be incorporated in an already developed, existing theory.

RainbowGravity-RYMP-EN-C-1E.jpg

apparently it is a trap card. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

annoying. 

D:

*hurt*

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs