One M8 root failed? SuperSU can't find binaries

Long time since I last rooted a phone (my Bravo Desire back in 2011) and I haven't kept up with the times at all, so bear with me

I rooted my One M8 (running the regular 5.0.1) using htconeroot's guide, which I carefully followed.

When opening SuperSU I get an error telling me that it didn't find binaries.  I used Titanium Backup to check if I have root, but it says I haven't. 

The bootloader is unlocked and I have the CWM recovery though. 

What now?  Seeing as I have the recovery, can I just flash a ROM ?

Im having some problems with my galaxy s4. if i dont root it gets stuck at the boot screen. if i root it works but is very unstable. running paranoid android Btw

If you use the cyanogenmod installer it does everything for you and you can flash a rom more easily.

That did the trick.

I had flashed 2.37 and that didn't work.  Updated it to 2.46 in Google Play and that still didn't work. Flashing 2.46 did help though.  Thanks !

I guess the culprit is Lollipop.  A lot of rooting methods and tools were made back in the KitKat era and Lollipop broke them.

Now the tough decision : either S-off so I can remove all the bloatware or go for a custom ROM ... hmm. 

Get CM12 :)

I decided to try Slimkat first and managed to forget to wipe.  Now the phone is stuck on the Slimkat logo with no option to turn it off. 

Once the battery is drained (it was full when I flashed it an hour or so ago), I can try to reboot into recovery again (hopefully) and sort out my mistake. 

The worst bit is that I need to send a bunch of text messages for work tonight (in less than 5 hours).  Luckily I still had my old Desire and the original SIM housing so I could convert the nano SIM back to a regular one.  Kinda weird going back to a 3.7" screen.

I'm such a noob ... 

EDIT : so long-pressing power and volume + seemed to allow a reboot, but timing the switch to Volume - so I could enter the recovery again was still difficult.  Now running CM12.