New HDD, what should i get?

Hi guys and gals,

Im in the market for a new hdd atleast 2TB in capacity and im debating with myself whether to go with a standard HDD or put the extra money in for an SSHD as ive never used one so im not sure if the extra price backs it up for performance. What should i do?

-MrROFLWafflez

P.S try not to get cheeto crumbs under your Cherry's cuz theyre a bitch to clean! :)

The best value is often the 3 TB 7200 RPM drives from Seagate but I know there are larger capacity hard drives out there now and I am not sure what the lowest price per GB has been for them.  Now in regards to the SSHDs I have no comment.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Hi guys and gals,

Im in the market for a new hdd atleast 2TB in capacity and im debating with myself whether to go with a standard HDD or put the extra money in for an SSHD as ive never used one so im not sure if the extra price backs it up for performance. What should i do?

Well you could get a 240GB SSD and a 1TB HDD, but then it is not 2TB  :mellow:

I have not really used a SSHD so I cannot say anything about them  :lol:

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

SSHDs are not worth it really

get a dedicated SSD and HDD

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

SSHDs are not worth it really

get a dedicated SSD and HDD

This ^^^^ 

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

Yeah i thought i was right for being a bit skeptical of SSHDs. Thanks for the replies people! :)

-MrROFLWafflez

P.S try not to get cheeto crumbs under your Cherry's cuz theyre a bitch to clean! :)

Usually anything will get the job done with the condition but be a trusted brand and have a nice warranty.If you need it for general use then a single 2 tb unit will do but if you need to store some more important stuff you should get another unit and run them in raid.Hard drives don't just fail and i still have a very old samsung spinpoint around the house that is still working.As for the sdd thing well if you need speed 30-60 gb of ssd storage should be enough for os and basic programs sshd as za captain said are not worth

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

Hi there @MrROFLWafflez!

Basically a hybrid drive only has a certain amount of fast storage (cache) for commonly accessed files. This means that the files within the 8GB or so of cache are accessed at SSD speeds while the rest are accessed at standard HDD speeds, and you have no control over which files goes in that cache. That's why hybrids are good option if you have a laptop and only one hard drive slot.

But if you're with desktop, then I agree with @ShadowCaptain that the best configuration is SSD+HDD, where you put the OS and the demanding apps on the SSD, and the HDD is used for storage and the not so demanding programs/games.

If this post helped you, please like and choose it as a best answer.   :)
http://www.wdc.com/en/