DirectX 12 Will Unlock The Performance Of Your CPU

Opcode

Nice to see this. Kinda shows that DX12 is meant to surpass Mantle. While Mantle is interesting, DX12 just got better with this idea. Hopefully, it doesn't require much for developers to use this, so that we can actually benefit from it. Telling us that API can do it is one thing, but if developers don't use it or mess it up miserably. Could only wait until it games come out with it.

Does this mean that in another 4 years I'll still have no reason to upgrade my 2600k?

I wanna see how those 12 core Xeon CPUs will perform with DX12

SHAMEFUL DISPRAY

It wouldn't make a difference if the game doesn't port over to DX 12 though. Arma 3 I hope ports over to DX 12 as it really really really needs better CPU utilization. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Nice to see this. Kinda shows that DX12 is meant to surpass Mantle. While Mantle is interesting, DX12 just got better with this idea. Hopefully, it doesn't require much for developers to use this, so that we can actually benefit from it. Telling us that API can do it is one thing, but if developers don't use it or mess it up miserably. Could only wait until it games come out with it.

Mantle is capable of threading out workloads across the cores with each core communicating with the GPU. The only problem that Mantle faced was adoption in the market. No game developer is going to write a game specifically for Mantle as it would not run on a wide range of hardware cutting into their profit margin. This is the sole reason why I think AMD is pushing developers to DirectX 12 because it will be widely adopted and will benefit AMD greater in the long run.

Mantle was AMD stroking their own ego despite knowing full well that DX12 was on the burner and coming anyways. 

The greatest trick AMD (And their marketing department) has pulled has been convincing half the internet that AMD pushed MS towards making DX12 what it is. AMD, Intel and Nvidia bloody worked hand in hand with MS on DX12 from the start years ago, only AMD went on the ego trip just to get some marketing out of it. 

Apparently even Fermi cards from Nvidia will at least partly support certain DX12 features

Finally i can justify the purchase of my 5820K over an i5 4460 :P

In some cases yes, in most other cases no. The single core performance is still better on the i5 than on your 5820K. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

In some cases yes, in most other cases no. The single core performance is still better on the i5 than on your 5820K. 

Of course, you will overclock the 5820k. A overclocked 5820k will under-perform a 4460 in single core?

Finally i can justify the purchase of my 5820K over an i5 4460 :P

You'll need to stack several more GTX 970's into your machine before that falls true. You'll be GPU bound out of the gate with a 5820k.