Adobe Flash animation tips

minibois

Hey,

I am working on my YouTube channel and wanted to make it look more professional.

Part of that is making a proper intro. I have not a whole lot of experience with animating and video stuff so I was looking for some tips.

I wanted to use Adobe Flash (CS6 I think) to make something and had some ideas, but I need some advice.

1. What kind of project should I make? 

I have used Flash for AS3 a bit, but never for animating.

2. What resolution should I use? (1080p I guess)

3. What FPS? (I suppose 60, because I usually render in that too)

4. And what kind of project should I choose on the home screen?

I usually choose ActionScript 3, but maybe I have to choose something else for animating

5. oh and how many frames should the animation be if I want lets say.. A 7 sec. intro?

Like 7*60 frames?

Your help and advice is very much appreciated :)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1. I use After Effect,I like it personally 

I stick to 30 FPS

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

24FPS is standard but i you want really smooth than i guess you can try 30FPS(60 FPS is too much and i won't recommend it). I am guessing your sketching is good cause it takes minimum 15 sketch to complete 1 sec animation.

You can use ActionScript 3.0

•  
  • I use After Effect,I like it personally 
  • I stick to 30 FPS

Oh, yeah I heard AE is pretty good for that too, but I was looking to use Flash since I kind of know that software.

24FPS is standard but i you want really smooth than i guess you can try 30FPS(60 FPS is too much and i won't recommend it). I am guessing your sketching is good cause it takes minimum 15 sketch to complete 1 sec animation.

You can use ActionScript 3.0

I am not looking to make a full like.. Animation I guess.

Just my name popping up and maybe some blur effect with it and just have something in the background like a pattern spin or whatever.

Just something simple.

Why is 60FPS too much if I just export it to an MP4 at the end?

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Oh, yeah I heard AE is pretty good for that too, but I was looking to use Flash since I kind of know that software.

I am not looking to make a full like.. Animation I guess.

Just my name popping up and maybe some blur effect with it and just have something in the background like a pattern spin or whatever.

Just something simple.

Why is 60FPS too much if I just export it to an MP4 at the end?

Than i would recommend using After effects instead of Flash.

You can use 60FPS if you want there's no problem. I thought you were going to create a character based animation which will take lot of time in 60FPS. I am creating a short movie and using 30FPS, I have completed 2 Sec movie and have been working on it for like 22-23 Hours.

It depends how you will render things with Flash.

If you want to use code, for effects and such, it needs to run live and you need something to capture the content window to generate a video file which you can use.

Under such setup, you'll probably use from graphics library/game engine to make your life easier.

You have to make sure everything is GPU renders especially if you aim 1080p as the CPU sucks at drawing.

If you just use the stage to do animations, and render a video file via Export feature, you can. But your animations would be limited. You can't really do transformations on the image beside scaling, twisting, and work with Motion/shape tweens and at best effects on MC objects.

It depends how you will render things with Flash.

If you want to use code, for effects and such, it needs to run live and you need something to capture the content window to generate a video file which you can use.

Under such setup, you'll probably use from graphics library/game engine to make your life easier.

You have to make sure everything is GPU renders especially if you aim 1080p as the CPU sucks at drawing.

If you just use the stage to do animations, and render a video file via Export feature, you can. But your animations would be limited. You can't really do transformations on the image beside scaling, twisting, and work with Motion/shape tweens and at best effects on MC objects.

I was planning to export it to a movie of some sorts (.mp4 or whatever), because I have programmed a bit with Flash and know how laggy it can be.

The only effect I was really planning to use were some simple positional tweens.

In your case, you should be good, as it pretty much renders each frame in your time line as an image and then converts it all into a video file.

So the way it exports is what you see on stage area. Coding effects won't be applied.