which key is the quietest?

ChrisTheHunt

so which cherry mx key is the quietest brown or red alos where is that test you take to find which key is the best for you? thanks

technically reds (out of browns and reds, but linear switches don't have any tactile feed back so they should be the quietest) should be the quietest but if you're going for a mechanical keyboard they are all going to be loud. The best way to test different keys is to actually find a store that actually have mechanical keyboards and use them there. 

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

so which cherry mx key is the quietest brown or red alos where is that test you take to find which key is the best for you? thanks

The only switches that make sounds afaik are MX Blue. The sounds of red and brown keyboards are dependent on the design of the keyboard. Consider adding O-Rings if the noise from the key itself bottoming out is too loud. 

However as browns have tactical feedback, when you actually try to type lightly/quietly, the brown will likely be quieter then red

"Rawr XD"

The only switches that make sounds afaik are MX Blue. 

greens r louder lol

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

greens r louder lol

Noise levels are the same with green and blue (and white), it's just that blues are less hard to press.

"Rawr XD"

Noise levels are the same with green and blue (and white), it's just that blues are less hard to press.

As someone who has owned both Green & Blue I'd say greens are louder

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

I'd say they're both just as quiet as the other. It depends on how you use em. Blues have an audible click mechanism to them so there's no way around that.

With Browns and Reds the most noise comes from the keycaps bottoming out as you press them.

You'd be better off deciding whether you want the tactile feedback of the Browns or the linear movement of the Reds.

After that you can look into using rubber O-ring noise dampeners to quiet down the keep caps of your choice.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

I am clicking a green switch and blue switch in front of me now and the green is just slightly louder. I have just tested this with multiple switches (mounted and unmounted).