Building a new PC

Yehoo

Hi, first post here. So please bear with me :D

So I've been playing on console (Playstation 2, 3 and now 4) for my whole life. And now with my education and personal projects, I need a new PC where I can play modern games (acually my goal is to run The Witcher III at 60fps on Ultra... ^^), capable to design (3D Studio Max, gaming engines aka UE4, CryE, Unity) and do other stuff.

This is what I had as a PC (about 7 years old) :

- AMD Anthlon 64 X2 Dual Core processor 4400+ 2.30 GHz

- 4 GB RAM

- AMD Radeon HD 5670

So anyway, I have a budget around 1800-2000 euros (I live in France). And I've been searching for a month now.

I would love to make a SLI 970 (980 SLI would be oo expensive). I have a samsung TV that I've been running as a PC monitor and it's been a really good 1080p screen. So I can forget about the monitor for now...

Can someone recommend me a configuration I can copy or aspire from?

I've been thinking about this :

- i7 5820K

- MSI X99 Gaming 7 (preffered over the Gigabyte Gaming 5 due to more USB 3.0 and 7.1 sound system).

- 8 GB DDR4 G-Skill 2400 MHz RAM

- Gigabyte G1 Windforce 970 SLI

- Corsaire 850W PSU Gold

I'm still not sure about fans and processor cooler. I'll get SSDs when the price drop (Samsung EVO 500GB was at 130€ a month ago, and as an idiot I didn't get any...).

I'm also not informed about cases so I'd love to get your opinions about some.

Also, Keyboard and mouse.... I want a good accurate mechanic Keyboard and a good mouse. I don't play MMO's, so multi-macros and stuff don't matter to me. :)

So yeah, I'd love to see some advices to help me get a good config.

I'd like to note, I'd like to go 4K, but really not now... So I want something durable, I don't want to upgrade after a year or two. 2000€ is already a big budget for me so I don't wanna spend more in a short period of time.

Thanks in advance ! :D

So I've been playing on console (Playstation 2, 3 and now 4) for my whole life. And now with my education and personal projects, I need a new PC where I can play modern games (acually my goal is to run The Witcher III at 60fps on Ultra... ^^), capable to design (3D Studio Max, gaming engines aka UE4, CryE, Unity) and do other stuff.

- 4 GB RAM

- AMD Radeon HD 5670

So anyway, I have a budget around 1800-2000 euros (I live in France). And I've been searching for a month now.

I would love to make a SLI 970 (980 SLI would be oo expensive). I have a samsung TV that I've been running as a PC monitor and it's been a really good 1080p screen. So I can forget about the monitor for now...

- i7 5820K

- MSI X99 Gaming 7 (preffered over the Gigabyte Gaming 5 due to more USB 3.0 and 7.1 sound system).

- Corsaire 850W PSU Gold

I'm still not sure about fans and processor cooler. I'll get SSDs when the price drop (Samsung EVO 500GB was at 130€ a month ago, and as an idiot I didn't get any...).

Also, Keyboard and mouse.... I want a good accurate mechanic Keyboard and a good mouse. I don't play MMO's, so multi-macros and stuff don't matter to me. :)

I'd like to note, I'd like to go 4K, but really not now... So I want something durable, I don't want to upgrade after a year or two. 2000€ is already a big budget for me so I don't wanna spend more in a short period of time.

I would recommend running 1 980 and maybe upgrading later as dual 970 gives a similar performance than a single 980 but at ~80 euros cheaper with 2000 you can probably run dual 980s

Im so patriotic, I piss red white and blue. My doctor told me it was pancreatic cancer, I told him to SHUT HIS COMMIE MOUTH.

-A shotgun wielding redneck

- 4 GB RAM

- AMD Radeon HD 5670

- i7 5820K

- Corsaire 850W PSU Gold

You can easily play 4k with $2000

Im so patriotic, I piss red white and blue. My doctor told me it was pancreatic cancer, I told him to SHUT HIS COMMIE MOUTH.

I suggest running something like this

motherboard supports SLI in case you want to add an additional 980 later

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($324.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($114.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Intel 730 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($129.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1595.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-20 07:49 EDT-0400

You probably will choose your own case, I just chose a random one.

EDIT: I forgot you are using Euros you can actually add an addiotnal 980 and be under budget

Well, you COULD (big could) get a Titan X, it actually has a slightly better price to performance ratio than a pair of 980s, and you'd be set for ages. Always try to invest in a single, better, card (at first, you can SLI a pair of them later on)

With that sort of a budget you could invest in a bit more ram 16GB

EVGA has an equatable PSU at a lower price (Evo mode = 0 PRM fan mode) (counteracts the ram)

Motherboard is down to personal preference, though they have little to no impact on performance, (though extras, such as the sound system as you suggested, are how you distinguish them)

It's Usually easier to have 1 SSD (240GB+) for booting and some games and 1 HDD (any size) for storage

There's a fair bit of choice when it comes to keyboards and mice.

The case only has 3 requirements A: It fits everything B: You like it C: It lets enough air in to cool the internals (though this is usually taken care of)

A good non-RGB mechnical keyboard is the Logitech G710+ and the Corsair Gaming series does a nice RGB lit line.

A good is the Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

I suggest running something like this

motherboard supports SLI in case you want to add an additional 980 later

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($324.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($114.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Intel 730 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($129.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1595.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-20 07:49 EDT-0400

You probably will choose your own case, I just chose a random one.

EDIT: I forgot you are using Euros you can actually add an addiotnal 980 and be under budget

Thanks for the reply ! :)

I think there would be no difference in terms of performances now (?), but I'm more looking for a new haswell-E, with DDR4. It's a personal choice. ^^

Anyway, your prices are REALLY REALLY low compared to us !

I just did this config (without the PSU, because no-one sells EVGA SPU here. Corsair are the most popular, along with Cooler Master.

Capture.png

Guess with a PSU, keyboard and mouse it will be around 2000. And no second GPU. 980 is 100€ more expensive. That sucks.

Well, you COULD (big could) get a Titan X, it actually has a slightly better price to performance ratio than a pair of 980s, and you'd be set for ages. Always try to invest in a single, better, card (at first, you can SLI a pair of them later on)

With that sort of a budget you could invest in a bit more ram 16GB

EVGA has an equatable PSU at a lower price (Evo mode = 0 PRM fan mode) (counteracts the ram)

Motherboard is down to personal preference, though they have little to no impact on performance, (though extras, such as the sound system as you suggested, are how you distinguish them)

It's Usually easier to have 1 SSD (240GB+) for booting and some games and 1 HDD (any size) for storage

There's a fair bit of choice when it comes to keyboards and mice.

The case only has 3 requirements A: It fits everything B: You like it C: It lets enough air in to cool the internals (though this is usually taken care of)

A good non-RGB mechnical keyboard is the Logitech G710+ and the Corsair Gaming series does a nice RGB lit line.

A good is the Logitech G502 Proteus Core

I already love the G502, been looking at it for quite sometime now. I'll definitely get it. :D

I like the G710+ too, but somehow the light isn't the good to me. Will have to check it IRL to see how it is.

Titan X goes for 1200€ here now. Everywhere. Pretty expensive here.

I quite like the look of the Fractal R4 Define (with a window). Looks cool and solid. :)

Thanks for the reply ! :)

I think there would be no difference in terms of performances now (?), but I'm more looking for a new haswell-E, with DDR4. It's a personal choice. ^^

Anyway, your prices are REALLY REALLY low compared to us !

I just did this config (without the PSU, because no-one sells EVGA SPU here. Corsair are the most popular, along with Cooler Master.

Capture.png

Guess with a PSU, keyboard and mouse it will be around 2000. And no second GPU. 980 is 100€ more expensive. That sucks.

Wow i didnt expect the price to be that much different. I assumed you could buy more stuff since 1USD=.93 Euro

You can always downgrade to an i5 and upgrade your RAM and motherboard if it is really necessary

This is ready for a second GTX 980:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (€258.01 @ Amazon Deutschland)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (€58.73 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (€154.27 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (€133.73 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€178.39 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (€57.95 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card  (€629.56 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  (€116.23 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€129.81 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €1716.68
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-20 21:01 CET+0100

X99 will not increase your gaming performance over Z97.  Do you need the PC for anything other than gaming?

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (€520.97 @ Amazon Deutschland)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12DXi4 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler  (€69.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  (€219.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (€246.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€94.76 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (€57.95 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card  (€629.56 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  (€116.23 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€129.81 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €2085.07
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-20 21:06 CET+0100

X99 will not increase your gaming performance over Z97.  Do you need the PC for anything other than gaming?

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (€520.97 @ Amazon Deutschland)

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12DXi4 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler  (€69.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  (€219.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (€246.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€94.76 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Total: €2085.07

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-20 21:06 CET+0100

Yeah, I'm studying Game Design and I work a lot with game engines, drawing/editing software like Illustrator and Photoshop and sound/video editing stuff. I use these on daily basis for my personal projects that's why I need something powerful. :)

Thanks again !

Yeah, I'm studying Game Design and I work a lot with game engines, drawing/editing software like Illustrator and Photoshop and sound/video editing stuff. I use these on daily basis for my personal projects that's why I need something powerful. :)

Thanks again !

A Xeon E3-1231-V3 is like an i7 4770K, without the K part.  It will give you the benefit of hyperthreading and cost a good amount less than the i7.  Clock-for-clock, it games exactly the same as the i7.

The Xeon E3-1231 needs a H97 motherboard as it a Haswell Refresh, the Xeon E3-1230 is a Haswell and allows you to buy a cheaper H81 motherboard... both have HT.

You will have to check that the Hyper 212 EVO cpu cooler comes with suitable hardware for mounting on an LGA 2011-3 cpu. In N.Am. it does. Not sure if that is the case in France.

post-44627-0-37085100-1426898344_thumb.j

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Wow i didnt expect the price to be that much different. I assumed you could buy more stuff since 1USD=.93 Euro

You can always downgrade to an i5 and upgrade your RAM and motherboard if it is really necessary

If only pricing worked like that  :( Things in the UK/Europe cost a lot more than what they do in the USA so you can't just do a currency conversion.

Like the Titan X is $999 in the USA. It is £870 here in UK on one of the websites I go on. That works out at around $1300 when you do the currency conversion.

http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=870&From=GBP&To=USD

If only pricing worked like that  :( Things in the UK/Europe cost a lot more than what they do in the USA so you can't just do a currency conversion.

Like the Titan X is $999 in the USA. It is £870 here in UK on one of the websites I go on. That works out at around $1300 when you do the currency conversion.

http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=870&From=GBP&To=USD

Wow I didnt expect that. I guess that is just naive on my part to assume that

A Xeon E3-1231-V3 is like an i7 4770K, without the K part.  It will give you the benefit of hyperthreading and cost a good amount less than the i7.  Clock-for-clock, it games exactly the same as the i7.

The Xeon E3-1231 needs a H97 motherboard as it a Haswell Refresh, the Xeon E3-1230 is a Haswell and allows you to buy a cheaper H81 motherboard... both have HT.

Man, another CPU to learn about. Will definitely check this one out :)

You will have to check that the Hyper 212 EVO cpu cooler comes with suitable hardware for mounting on an LGA 2011-3 cpu. In N.Am. it does. Not sure if that is the case in France.

attachicon.gif2015-03-20 Build 1.jpg

It does. :)

Question though, I don't know about brands. But is the Asus X99 better than the MSI and Gigabyte? People always seem to go with it over the others. Why's that?

Wow I didnt expect that. I guess that is just naive on my part to assume that

Not your fault. All these components come from the US, so you guys don't pay extra exportation/tax price. That's why they're expensive here. It's like cars, a Renault or a Peugeot won't cost as much as a Chevrolet simply because it's made in France. :|

Question though, I don't know about brands. But is the Asus X99 better than the MSI and Gigabyte? People always seem to go with it over the others. Why's that?

In my opinion and experience Asus motherboards are generally excellent quality with an excellent BIOS and good supporting utilities. Gigabyte also builds very good motherboards and in recent years MSI and Asrock have caught up in the quality department. Others rank these brands differently, but Asus is generally considered the best.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Man, another CPU to learn about. Will definitely check this one out :)

It is a very real option.

Asrock, ASUS, EVGA, Gigabyte, or MSI motherboards... Find the cheapest one that works with your build and go for it.

ECS, Biostar and Foxconn can work too but are riskier picks.

Asrock, ASUS, EVGA, Gigabyte, or MSI motherboards... Find the cheapest one that works with your build and go for it.

ECS, Biostar and Foxconn can work too but are riskier picks.

Amazon.fr had a promotion for the MSI X99 Gaming 7 and was at 179.9€ from 269.9€ else. Didn't hesitate and grabbed one.

Amazon.it had a sale on G-Skill 4 x 4GB DDR4 2400 MHz ram too today at 160€ instead of 240€. So grabbed those too. I'm quite sure I won't find this price for quite sometime.