Question for K70 Owners...

Comessy

A quick question for K70 owners

Has anyone had a LED failure on the new K70 RGB? I heard it was common with the old k70 rgb.

I'm looking into buying my first mechanical keyboard and the K70 looks great.

Are you guys happy with the k70 or should I go for something different like a steelseries? (I'm not getting razer chroma)

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

I heard it was common with the old k70 rgb.

You mean non-rgb. LED failures were common on the normal LED versions.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

As a non RGB owner: No LED's have gone.

As someone who knows a thing or two about the RGB model: I would expect the chance of them dying being in the 1% chance range. They're inside of the switch so they wouldn't die as quickly as the older external design.

I have my non RGB version.

About 2 or so years running and no failures with daily usage.

“Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes. working jobs we hate, so we can buy shit we dont need.”- Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

"Oh, beauty is a beguiling call to death and I'm addicted to the sweet pitch of its siren."- Johnny Quid

"Without our imaginations, we'd be like all those other poor... dullards."- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Thanks for the quick responses! I think I will get the K70

No LED failures so far.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400      | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti        | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

RGB owner here:

Haven't had any failures in the month I've owned it. If you do get one, make sure to turn the back lighting OFF when you walk away or something :P

K70 non RGB owner for ~6 months all without issues. I have heard of the LEDs dying as well, but I've not encountered such.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

RGB owner here.

Had it since launch, its been solid. The non-RGB ones had a tendency to fail.

Also ill be getting rid of it in 2-3 months since im not a big fan of reds. Also if only the software would work right!

KBP V80 w/ Matias, soon.

I don't recommend the RGB. I assume your asking because you may/want to buy one. The lighting is cool but the effect wears off after a few months. If you want a nice built board, get a non RGB and dont run a vacuum over it. If you NEED RGB the corsair ones are the best hands down.

Just dont get a Razer Blackwidow with Kailh switch's whatever you do.

Or you could get a model m.

Project Cobalt: 

CPU: AMD FX 8370 Motherboard:

Asus M5A97 R2.0

RAM: G.Skill Ares 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133 GPU:

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Case: NZXT H440 (Blue)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 256GB +  2x 1TB WD Cavier Blue

PSU: Corsair 750G2 

CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220X

Keyboard: Model M + a lot of others 

Mouse: Logitech G502

Vintage Gaming PC: AMD Athlon T-Bird 800Mhz, Gainward nVidia Ti200 128MB, 512MB Crucial RAM DDR, Compaq ASPEN 2 OEM Board, Soundblaster Live! 5.1, Windows 98SE

RGB owner here.

Had it since launch, its been solid. The non-RGB ones had a tendency to fail.

Also ill be getting rid of it in 2-3 months since im not a big fan of reds. Also if only the software would work right!

KBP V80 w/ Matias, soon.

I don't recommend the RGB. I assume your asking because you may/want to buy one. The lighting is cool but the effect wears off after a few months. If you want a nice built board, get a non RGB and dont run a vacuum over it. If you NEED RGB the corsair ones are the best hands down.

Just dont get a Razer Blackwidow with Kailh switch's whatever you do.

Or you could get a model m.

Sounds like you are implying that the k70 RGB is worse than the orignial k70? Is that the case? If so why? 

My Pc: Cpu: I7 4790k @ 4,8 Ghz @1,25 volts, Motherboard: Maximus VII Formula, Graphicscard: 2x Titan X @1,4 at stock voltage (soon to be replaced), Ram: 32 gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 Cl 9, SSD: 2x 850 Pro 1 Tb in Raid 0, 2x Samsung 840 Evo 1 tb raid 1,, PSU: Corsair HXi Series 1000W 80+ Platinum, Case: H440. Soon to be watercooled again, maybe, probably, the Titans are too loud. 

Should I get the 4 year extended warranty just to be safe?

Also what colour switches should I get? I can choose between Browns or reds. I mainly do gaming, not too much typing. I've never touched a mechanical switch before except for my friends razer blackwidow (I loved the feel of it). Are the razer switches more similar to reds or Browns?

Sounds like you are implying that the k70 RGB is worse than the orignial k70? Is that the case? If so why? 

Its not worse, but unnecessary. A new and cool feature that doesent work well is better than not having it at all. I mentioned the original K70 because if you like the board just get that instead.

Having to unplug the keyboard or close CUE in task manager and reopen it everytime you boot up, or launch BF4/most games, or god forbid sometimes when I open chrome :L

Has slowly angered me over the months ive owned it to the point of selling it and getting a different board.

You can achieve a similar look with custom keycaps anyway, even though you cant universally change it.

Its not worth it in the end, it kinda feels like a really well pulled off gimmick. I still love Corsair products but it just feels like a waste of money.

As a side note; technically if you want blues, the original is better :)

Project Cobalt: 

Asus M5A97 R2.0

Vintage Gaming PC: AMD Athlon T-Bird 800Mhz, Gainward nVidia Ti200 128MB, 512MB Crucial RAM DDR, Compaq ASPEN 2 OEM Board, Soundblaster Live! 5.1, Windows 98SE

Should I get the 4 year extended warranty just to be safe?

Also what colour switches should I get? I can choose between Browns or reds. I mainly do gaming, not too much typing. I've never touched a mechanical switch before except for my friends razer blackwidow (I loved the feel of it). Are the razer switches more similar to reds or Browns?

If you do decide to go with the RGB, get browns over the reds. (Felt both)

Depends on what kind of razer switch. Cherry or Kailh? What version etc.

Project Cobalt: 

Asus M5A97 R2.0

I have the non RBG and a ton of my LEDS are dead. I do leave my lights on all the time at full brightness so that could be the reason. I might have just gotten unluckey with my keyboard or I should have have turned off the lights more. Still a great keyboard. I just need to RMA it.

I have the K70 RGB.

No failures. Also they say failures are far less likely to happen with RGB because of the static discharge or something when you press them. (something along those lines)

He had a blackwidow bf4 edition.

Are the razer chroma switches more similar to reds or Browns? I love those switches

Hey I have had my k70 rgb for about a month or 2 and it was my first ever mechanical keyboard and i have to say it was one of the best changes i have made to my setup since my deathadder. I have experanced nothing bad with corsair or there gaming peripherals. The only complant i have is that the software is kinda hard to figure out. If i were you I would go for it and see if you like mechanical and if you like that there are some crazy mods and keycaps you can get for all the switches

Pros

great looks

metal finish

media controls and scrolling volume ajuster

easy to remove keycaps for easy cleaning

Cons

backlight isnt very bright

need 2 usb 2.0 ports for power (or 1  usb 3.0 port)

over all its a great keyboard that i would recommend anyone buy

The reason why the LEDs fail is because they aren't protected from ESD.  So if you like dragging your feet on carpet and then slamming your hand on the keyboard, yea it'll probably kill an LED.  But most of the time people ground themselves by sitting in a chair with a metal part they touch.

As a non RGB owner: No LED's have gone.

As someone who knows a thing or two about the RGB model: I would expect the chance of them dying being in the 1% chance range. They're inside of the switch so they wouldn't die as quickly as the older external design.

Oh their much lower. 

Check out my iCUE Guide Beta Tester for Corsair

Got a Corsair Product? Got a Question?

Feel Free to PM Me ?

Check out my iCUE Guide