Folding/BOINC build?

Ive been debating whether to build a seperate PC for folding or to just invest in better components. Although I would like a nicer cpu that doesnt bottleneck my 280x, im leaning towards the folding due to it actually helping a good cause. Anyhow, are there any suggestions as to what rig I could build for around 300-350 for this use? How does this look? http://pcpartpicker.com/user/JustAnotherBoon/saved/qjz9TW

thanks in advance

Edit: I would like to have this seperate PC to run folding 24/7 to leave my main rig free 

CPU: Intel i5-2400 Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz GPU: Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X Case Corsair Obsidian Series 350D PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Certified

i'd go with a pentium (the 3258 most likely), a cheapo mobo with as many pcie lanes as possible, stock intel cooler, cheapo or no case and all out on GPU.

Edit:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CbPbZL

and add more gpus over time

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

i'd go with a pentium (the 3258 most likely), a cheapo mobo with as many pcie lanes as possible, stock intel cooler, cheapo or no case and all out on GPU.

Edit:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CbPbZL

and add more gpus over time

thanks yeah im not sure about a case due to price and how hot it gets when the cards run for days on end

CPU: Intel i5-2400 Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz GPU: Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X Case Corsair Obsidian Series 350D PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Certified

thanks yeah im not sure about a case due to price and how hot it gets when the cards run for days on end

Here. For 25$ more than FloRolf's build, you get something MUCH better:

1. This build has a 4 true cores CPU, so it could hold many more GPUs (and have space for CPU folding as well!). A rough estimate for max GPU support is 2xcores, so you could (in theory) use 8 GPUs, although I doubt that will happen.
  2. The mobo has 6 slots for GPUs. Yup, that's right, 6 freaking slots. And it also has an input for molex, to provide aditional power to the mobo. Yaaay.
  3. The PSU is HUGE. You could actually use 6 Gtx 750 Ti with that thing!
  4. The GPU is actually clocked 20mhz higher.

Just a quick note, when you'd like to add more GPUs, make sure to buy a PCIe 1x to 16x Riser. Like this one. Make sure that it has a molex auxiliary power connector, as you'll be needing it to provide enough power for all of those GPUs.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($173.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock H81 Pro BTC ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($51.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Crucial 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($28.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked Video Card  ($139.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case  ($36.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $502.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-18 21:47 EDT-0400

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Here. For 25$ more than FloRolf's build, you get something MUCH better:

1. This build has a 4 true cores CPU, so it could hold many more GPUs (and have space for CPU folding as well!). A rough estimate for max GPU support is 2xcores, so you could (in theory) use 8 GPUs, although I doubt that will happen.
  2. The mobo has 6 slots for GPUs. Yup, that's right, 6 freaking slots. And it also has an input for molex, to provide aditional power to the mobo. Yaaay.
  3. The PSU is HUGE. You could actually use 6 Gtx 750 Ti with that thing!
  4. The GPU is actually clocked 20mhz higher.

Just a quick note, when you'd like to add more GPUs, make sure to buy a PCIe 1x to 16x Riser. Like this one. Make sure that it has a molex auxiliary power connector, as you'll be needing it to provide enough power for all of those GPUs.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($173.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock H81 Pro BTC ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($51.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Crucial 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($28.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked Video Card  ($139.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case  ($36.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $502.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-18 21:47 EDT-0400

HOLY CRAP 

are you a wizard?

quad core intel build for under 500. whaaat!

I'll be keeping this link for if I decide to go through with this or not. Most likely that ill do this during the summer when I have some extra spending cash after buying these parts.

Thanks! appreciate it :)

HOLY CRAP 

are you a wizard?

quad core intel build for under 500. whaaat!

I'll be keeping this link for if I decide to go through with this or not. Most likely that ill do this during the summer when I have some extra spending cash after buying these parts.

Thanks! appreciate it :)

That's what happens when you only need 4gbs of RAM and get 320gb of HD.....

Just a note, if you do decide to get it. Since this is a folding rig, dedicated to 24/7 crunching, it might have been wise to get a 80+ Gold PSU (dem electricity...). You can go with this one, for 25$ more: https://pcpartpicker.com/part/rosewill-power-supply-valens600

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

That's what happens when you only need 4gbs of RAM and get 320gb of HD.....

Just a note, if you do decide to get it. Since this is a folding rig, dedicated to 24/7 crunching, it might have been wise to get a 80+ Gold PSU (dem electricity...). You can go with this one, for 25$ more: https://pcpartpicker.com/part/rosewill-power-supply-valens600

cool i'll keep that in mind thanks

Building a dedicated rig for a single gpu is a waste of resources though. With a normal

build your not going to get much out of the cpu, so the gpu is what what you are focusing

on.

adequate motherboard with enough slots.

adequate cpu to not starve the gpu's.

adequate ram so you don't bsod.

get a good psu and just throw whatever

gpu's you can afford at it. 

Basically you wan't everything to be good enough to feed the gpu's and keep them

running, i wouldn't make a dedicated machine on a 300$ budget. the return is incredibly

small compared to building a proper machine with a  couple more decent gpu's.

You end up spending all your money on the things that don't matter(won't do any direct

computing) motherboard, psu, ram, etc... You can still do it and have some fun with it,

just pointing it out.

^^^

In your case, I would invest in good parts for my main rig, upgrade those and make use of them. Once they are good enough you can fold and do other things and not even notice. 

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

^^^

In your case, I would invest in good parts for my main rig, upgrade those and make use of them. Once they are good enough you can fold and do other things and not even notice. 

Or upgrade parts in my main rig and use the old for a secondary rig?