Is linux a good free alternative for windows?

Thanks!

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

Uh ok so linux for work and windows for other use?

yes i use linux for work and windows for games

It's always going to be valid; Windows codes don't expire :P

If they did i'm pretty sure 99% of people wouldn't be using windows xD

Cool thanks! Thanks a lot!

yes i use linux for work and windows for games

Do work related softwares work better on Linux?

Do work related softwares work better on Linux?

some do because there are very light versions of linux out there to preserve all the resources for your work but they work about the same i use it for my simulations because it gives less anoying errors in my case

Linux is free but windows costs too much for people on a budget!

Is linux good for blender and gaming?

Please help!

I'm no linux expert I've only really dabbled in it and my general impression is it's more trouble than it's worth you'll have to find a lot of work arounds for many things. I currently use it for my sitting room media build which works great. I would suggest getting a pirated copy of windows 8 initially giving you time to save up for a genuine copy that way you can spread the cost out. it's not hard to get a clean pirated copy of windows and it's a breeze to set up. if you don't agree with pirating just think of it as a delayed payment after all better they get there £100 a bit late than loosing you to linux. 

ps I'm not condoning piracy ;)

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

Linux is actually an all around better replacement for Windows. But, it lacks a lot of game support so that's its major drawback.

Linux is actually an all around better replacement for Windows. But, it lacks a lot of game support so that's its major drawback.

It's straight up slower on the same hardware as windows and I cannot use it for that alone.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

With linux, it is a lack luster software but it shines in one area, its free, and if you need an OS right now and Windows is out of your price range go linux and enjoy the steam, linux compatible, games that are out (gmod, CSGO, etc) and switch to windows when your wallet isn't entirely devoted to our great lord gaben, pick up the current windows OS and do all that reboot, file transfer, shizzle fizzle at your nearest convince.

I know some people that have moved to Linux as their daily driver and have never looked back. I know some people that have moved to Linux as their daily driver and moved back the next day.

It all really depends. For some people Linux works well, it has all the software (or equivalents) that work for them, but for others it cannot compare.

Personally, I cannot use Linux as a daily driver. It just doesn't work for what I need, mostly because it lacks software I use frequently (Adobe Creative Cloud and Microsoft Office for example) which there exists no equivalents. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I know some people that have moved to Linux as their daily driver and have never looked back. I know some people that have moved to Linux as their daily driver and moved back the next day.

It all really depends. For some people Linux works well, it has all the software (or equivalents) that work for them, but for others it cannot compare.

Personally, I cannot use Linux as a daily driver. It just doesn't work for what I need, mostly because it lacks software I use frequently (Adobe Creative Cloud and Microsoft Office for example) which there exists no equivalents.

I'm surprised Adobe hasn't ported their software yet as it was a major request four years ago.

A big thank you to everyone for sending this feedback!

We have received an overwhelming number of submissions so far.

At this point, I ask that people no longer send in their requests about adding support for Linux using the submission forms.

The request is now most definitely on the radar of our engineering teams, so it can be considered for future development.

If you haven't already, feel free to continue clicking the "I like this idea" button in this topic so the number of "likes" can still be tallied.

I'm surprised Adobe hasn't ported their software yet as it was a major request four years ago.

I mean, the demand is there, but it's still such a small percent of their customers.

This is the issue with Linux, the platform itself is so small (% of desktop users) that few companies wont allocate resources to it. It's a negative feed back loop essentially (software devs won't dev for it because few % of people use it, people won't use it because the software they want/need isn't on it, and back and forth and back and forth). 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

IIRC Adobe did port Reader but recently pulled it again because they hadn't updated or maintained it for well over half a year.

It's not even in the "other versions" page of their download section anymore.

It's the classic chicken and egg thing again. Adobe doesn't port because there's not enough marketshare and revenue involved, content creators don't switch because there's no Adobe support.

If everyone uses Linux, the games will come.

For everything else, hell yes, install Linux.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Just use linux on a netbook (low end) if you want for now, But after a few years if more people use linux and the software for it gets into the mature state of development then consider switching to it, i personally run linux on the stuff that isnt as powerful as my pc and its always handy to have a os in your pendrive and if your pc running windows crashes you can just use the bootable USB drive to recover all your data and you can always use WINE to play windows games but your perfomance will not be the same as running it natively on windows.

Sup Bruuh?

Please help!

I think it should be good for blender as it is with other 3d programs, as for gaming it is not too good

well there are more games comming for steam in linux but most games are not supported

i do like it tho i do all my neuron simulations in linux

Don't say 'most games are supported', what you should be saying is 'most games don't support it'

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

If you want to play games on a PC, Linux is not for you. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

''oohh, meerrhh you cant game on linux, blibbedy blah blah''

https://www.winehq.org/

https://www.playonlinux.com/en/

not to mention atleast a third of the steam library already supports linux. 

(dont forget emulation too, )

yeah, yeah. there are some GPU driver issues. 

just fkn read about them and wait for word on how well they work with linux before updating your damn drivers. 

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

If everyone uses Linux, the games will come.

For everything else, hell yes, install Linux.

^^^^^^

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D 

i always hear arguemetns like ''i dont use x even though i like it more because y has this one feature that x doesnt have''

well if you used x and made workarounds for a while and everyone does the same then eventually x will ahve that feature that y does. 

just....

''i dont want this, its not perfect yet''

''use it for a while and it will be perfect, you're like it''

''yeah but.... ''

''shush. shut your face hole''

anyway. :D 

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Vulkan API will change how people perceive Linux Gaming. And to the person who claimed there is no alternative to Microsoft Office......shame on you. OpenOffice and LibreOffice. they are after all more famous and widely known than Apple's own office suite. 

Linux is not that good for gaming although you have a lot of options to make it run (wine, emulation, ...)

A while ago I found a way to give a VM acces to a second GPU (you do need a compatible CPU and Motherboard), I didn't use it myself yet but I saw someone just use a VM and then stream his games from his VM to his linux desktop with Steam In-home streaming

Deleted code is debugged code.

I've been recently using linux and seeing how far along it has come since the last time i used it over 15 years ago, its come a long way, but i still think its still not where it needs to be yet in terms of everyday and gaming, if the progress of the os continues the same way it has been, maybe in about 10 years it will become a extremely good alternative to windows.

Please help!

linux is good for blender, however if you're big into gaming I'd stick with windows, consider duelbooting debain & windows. :)