Wifi Repeater vs Range Extender

I've been having problems connecting to my wireless access point in my living room from my bed room and this has started to become an issue for me. I tried to do some research about fixing this problem and I have ended up with finding two possible solutions. The problem is I have yet to conclude what is the difference between a Wifi Repeater & a Wifi Range Extender. I need someone to explain to me what are the differences between these two things and how would I approach using one of these two. 

Also, I want to know if i can use different type of brands for the Wifi repeater/extender for an example: I am using a Cisco Wireless Router and connected to it is a D-Link AP, i was wondering if the Repeater/Extender has to be the same brand as the D-Link AP to be compatible with it. (The Wifi signal that i want to enhance and strengthen is the D-Link AP.)

SNIP

You have 3 main options

WiFi repeater - takes a wifi signal and amplifies it boosting out further - it does require smart positioning as it requires a decent wifi signal on order to boost it out

Wireless Access Point - connects to your router via eithernet - creates a second full strength wifi hotspot

Powerline WiFi - same as the access point but can use your electric mains instead of running ethernet to the other side of the house

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

A repeater and an extender are two words for the same thing usually. Those are devices which connect wirelessly to your existing AP, and repeat the signal to get it to travel further. Personally, I'm not a fan of this solution as it would half the amount of throughput. 

The best solution is to have an ethernet cable go to a second AP at the other end of the house where signal is weak, and have the AP's settings all the same as the other one so it's all the same network. But that probably isn't ideal for you as running a cable isn't always possible. 

As for the different brands, these days they typically all work together fairly well. Assuming they support something like WDS. You can usually google specific models for more info on compatibility. 

CPU i5 4430 3Ghz | Ram: 16GB DDR3 1600 | GPU: GTX 650 Ti 1GB | Mobo: H87N-Wifi | Case: White Bitfenix Prodigy | Boot Drive: 120GB 840 Evo (Mac OS X) 120gb OCZ Vertex 3 (Windows) | Games Drive: 640GB WD Green | OS: Windows 8 & OS X 10.9.1

I love all technology. The perfection of macs for my designer side, and the hardware and fun of tinkering on the of the pc side. We can have it all, just not at the same time.

Best option is a wireless access point. In my family's house i have tried an extender and that did very poorly while an access point is also a major benefit in terms of connectivity.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4