CAD Workstation / Gaming Rig Part Suggestions

Go to solution Solved by kkpatel87,

Whoops, I use Solidworks to design :P

Old solidworks used to suck, now that it is part of Dassult's CAD suite, its not bad.

For recommended hardware

1. At least a 4 core processor but to run all of the threads you would need an 6-8 core cpu...an Intel Xeon E5-1650 v3 or -1680 v3. The enterprise/workstation-class CPU doesnt really exist for AMD right now so i cant offer an equivalent.
  2. 32 GB RAM min, 64-128GB ECC prefered
  3. As for the graphics card, you can go with a Quadro K5000 or K6000. If you want to game, then get a couple 980s instead and you should be set.
  4. For storage i would go with a RAID 6 setup of SSDs...i would say 6-8 SSDs would do it.

If you really need horsepower then i would recommend a dual-cpu system based system. Sometimes running differential equations on matlab, nastran or ansys might bog it down a single CPU. But at 5K, it may be out of reach.

I'm looking for some part ideas for a system I'm going to build soon, mostly looking for GPU, CPU, and RAM suggestions to start building from, but any are appreciated.

I'd like it to be able to:

• Game at 60fps, 1080p on three monitors
  • CAD quickly on three monitors. (Rendering, simulating, etc.)
  • Looking to go with Win 8.1 and upgrade to 10 when it's stable

No real cost limitations here, I don't mind splurging on a machine that will perform well, just in general I guess I give it a $5000 cap.

what software to render?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I'm looking for some part ideas for a system I'm going to build soon, mostly looking for GPU, CPU, and RAM suggestions to start building from, but any are appreciated.

I'd like it to be able to:

• Game at 60fps, 1080p on three monitors
  • CAD quickly on three monitors. (Rendering, simulating, etc.)
  • Looking to go with Win 8.1 and upgrade to 10 when it's stable

No real cost limitations here, I don't mind splurging on a machine that will perform well, just in general I guess I give it a $5000 cap.

What CAD/CAM/CAE software do you use?

I use the following:

1. Dassault CATIA
  2. Siemens NX
  3. Autodesk Inventor
  4. Autodesk AutoCAD
  5. ANSYS
  6. NASTRAN
  7. AFGROW

Are you an engineer or designer? That will dictate what you need.

Whoops, I use Solidworks to design :P

Old solidworks used to suck, now that it is part of Dassult's CAD suite, its not bad.

For recommended hardware

1. At least a 4 core processor but to run all of the threads you would need an 6-8 core cpu...an Intel Xeon E5-1650 v3 or -1680 v3. The enterprise/workstation-class CPU doesnt really exist for AMD right now so i cant offer an equivalent.
  2. 32 GB RAM min, 64-128GB ECC prefered
  3. As for the graphics card, you can go with a Quadro K5000 or K6000. If you want to game, then get a couple 980s instead and you should be set.
  4. For storage i would go with a RAID 6 setup of SSDs...i would say 6-8 SSDs would do it.

If you really need horsepower then i would recommend a dual-cpu system based system. Sometimes running differential equations on matlab, nastran or ansys might bog it down a single CPU. But at 5K, it may be out of reach.