Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

My cousin and I were having an airsoft gun "war", and I shot his computer so much about half of the paint was gone and then it started to rust like crazy... Don't hide behind your computer in an airsoft war with me, in other words.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

One build I did quickly for my sister; motherboard died after a day or two and I looked in the back and one of the I/O shield prongs was nicely jammed into a USB port :/

After cleaning my heatsink (laptop) i forgot i had to put some good thermal paste on it, so i just pressed the heatsink as hard as i could over the cpu "to help it take all the heat coming up" and took me almost a month to feel like buying the thermal paste. Fan was like blowing air full blast all the time right after turning it up. :D

Don't get mad, get even...

I managed to break piece of plastic on my 8 pin connector (Asus GTX780)' but it's working so yeah. Lol, that's the biggest computing mistake I ever made.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

When I was about 4(?) years old, I would use one of my dad's PCs. One day I was just looking at the spinning fan, and was apparently intrigued. I saw a screwdriver next to the case. I was wondering what would happen if I were to put the screw driver into the fan, and so I put the screwdriver into the fan as it was running, and it broke a couple of the blades and made a horribly loud buzzing sound. My parents came to check and see if I was alright, and I was. Being an ignorant child, I quickly tried to put the blame on the screwdriver, as I exclaimed "Stupid screwdriver!" I thought that case fans were some of the most vital parts of a PC (Like the PC would explode if they weren't replaced or something), and that it would be expensive to replace. Considering that I had absolutely no knowledge of PCs whatsoever, I freaked out and thought I was going to be severely punished or something for what I did. I wasn't and it was an inexpensive replacement that my dad and I joke about nowadays.

The first time I applied thermal compound to a CPU (On November of 2013, when I was first REALLY starting to get into computers), I knew about proper method (Line method/pea method) of doing so, but I didn't know that it WAS the proper method of doing so, and somehow I got it in my head that using the "Business card" method was a correct method of applying thermal compound, so I proceeded to use that method. I decided to use thermal adhesive because I didn't know that I had arctic silver 5 laying around somewhere. I put WAY too much thermal adhesive on the CPU and it was just an absolute disaster. The computer would start but wouldn't display, which could have actually been a RAM error (because the RAM I was using wasn't guaranteed to work because I just found it laying around in a giant pile of spare parts [Although they did work when long ago when my computer used them; They were 2x1 gb of Gskill DDR2 RAM], and the sticks were possibly in the wrong slot). I took the heatsink off and there was a mess of thermal crap everywhere, and some of it even got on the pins of the socket. I eventually gave up on this project, though.

My first time overclocking. I should have OGREclocked instead, man. I don't know how in the flaming horse nipple that I thought it would work, but I went into AMD overdrive and set all of the sliders to maximum and clicked apply. My computer almost INSTANTLY crashed. WHY did I think that was a good idea? Looks like I should have checked myself before I Shreked myself.

My sister's PC had been crashing all the time and would sometimes break out in immense lag. It was very gradual and the symptoms of the problem seemed extremely random, but it eventually made the PC unusable. Today, we have the problem solved (It was a faulty Intel Core 2 Duo e8600 CPU which I replaced with my e7500 CPU that ran very stable in my computer before I replaced it with an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 that I found laying in the carcass of an Acer Veriton 6900Pro or something like that). But now I shall take you through a journey of the things that I tried to do to fix her PC. I thought it might be her motherboard, and so I replaced her motherboard (Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P) with my motherboard (Gigabyte G41MT-S2PT), and used a Biostar T-series TP45HP for mine (which I found in a box that my mom was about to throw in the trash.) and it had a couple bent pins which I straightened out. Once I got our computers assembled again, both would flash a bluescreen in the middle of the process of which Windows loads (Where it says "Windows" and the little colorful things start flying around the Windows logo) before restarting so fast that there was no time to read the bluescreen. Looking back now, I think that might have been something to do with either the switch to new chipsets on both of our ends, or something to do with the BIOS of the motherboards not liking the new hard drives that they detected. Also, my computer with the Biostar motherboard wouldn't even start up some times. I'm guessing that it had something to do with the bent pins, but I am not sure.

I REALLY wanted to use that Biostar motherboard and crossfire the two 5770s that I had, but there was only one kit of DDR2 memory, which was for my sister's original motherboard, and the memory for my original motherboard was DDR3, so we ended up switching back to our original motherboards. I reassembled my computer, and eventually reassembled her's using the e7500, and I was able to crossfire the 5770 with the 5750 in her computer, which I would have done with mine, but I only have one PCIe 16x slot on a Micro ATX motherboard so that wouldn't have worked at all. It all ended well, though, as I was able to swap out my old crappy CPU heatsink with a Thermaltake V1, and she was able to get a 5770 crossfired with a 5750, as opposed to just one 5750. Also, as a sidenote, both 5770s are ASUS EAH5770s with Zalman VF1000 heatsinks installed on them, as opposed to the stock heatsinks. I could use that Biostar motherboard if I could get DDR2 memory, but it's way too darn expensive.

I don't overclock... I OGREclock.
Shrek is love. Shrek is life.

mine is pretty much everyone's on planet earth, complete formatting with granted loss of information... that way at least, NSA would probably leave me alone !!!

♠ Lamine O. Mingwan  UEE Record #256532 

Anvil Aerospace F7C Hornet ♦ MISC Freelancer DUR ♥

My worst mistake? It was before I even started! Buying a fm2+ board and a a8 6600k. Definately would have went intel if I knew how bad apu's perform..blue screens and games stopping. noob mistake gonna cost me a new board and cpu :(

Corsair Graphite 230T Case , AMD A8 6600K 4-Core Processor cooled by a CoolerMaster Hyper 212X CPU Cooler, MSI A88X G45 Gaming Motherboard, Corsair Dominator Platinum 8GB 2133Mhz, Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Dual-X OC 3GB, Samsung 840 EVO Series 120GB SSD + Western Digital WD Green 1TB + 3x Toshiba 500GB HDD, Corsair CS750M Modular PSU,all cooled with 4 Case fans, Displayed in 1080p on a 50" Samsung LED Smart TV

• 2 weeks later...

Well, one of my mistakes is leaving a computer near the window of the second story. Again. I left my brother sleeping on the floor, then I opened my window early in the morning to get some fresh air. Then I realized I had move my computer upstairs into my room. I carried my computer up into my room, but I forgot my brother was on the floor. I didn't see him, because the computer obstructed my view. I tripped over my brother, let go out the computer, but it was more of a chuck it thing with the computer. It went so far, it actually landed on the street. Bye bye $6000 PC!

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

earlier days(ide data ribbon cable times) i was plugging the power connector, wait for it........  upside down on a hard drive, there was a distinct sound and a little puff  of brown smoke! ouch!  fried the PCB!

a ninja knows how to swim underwater :ph34r:

Details separate people.

earlier days(ide data ribbon cable times) i was plugging the power connector, wait for it........  upside down on a hard drive, there was a distinct sound and a little puff  of brown smoke! ouch!  fried the PCB!

a ninja knows how to swim underwater :ph34r:

I did something similar, just my PCB caught on fire. And all of my important data is on it. And this happened a few months ago is the worst part.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I did something similar, just my PCB caught on fire. And all of my important data is on it. And this happened a few months ago is the worst part.

ouch! that's gotta hurt, :mellow:  so you've replaced the PCB on drive yet?

a ninja uses smoke to distract his enemies :ph34r:

Details separate people.

ouch! that's gotta hurt, :mellow:  so you've replaced the PCB on drive yet?

a ninja uses smoke to distract his enemies :ph34r:

Nope. I'm trying to get a radio, and that would take about $10 out of the funds, and even then there's no guarantee that it will work.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

doing calculations on mind in front of a computer. with a calculator pinned to taskbar. how could i miss that

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

Well, now I know not to leave my brother on the floor sleeping.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

i dont think it's dead... But yet another one of my keyboards has gotten a coffee bath.... Poor k95

I unplugged faster than light but i won't know if there is any damage until it's completely dry

20140512_092141_zps6e352f2a.jpg

Damn it...

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

I put a ddr2 stick in a ddr board, Computer started smoking but it's running fine for years after i put a ddr stick back in it ofcourse.

i dont think it's dead... But yet another one of my keyboards has gotten a coffee bath.... Poor k95

I unplugged faster than light but i won't know if there is any damage until it's completely dry

[K95 that had too much coffee]

Damn it...

How many keyboards have had a taste of you coffee by now?

Also how does one spill drinks onto one's keyboard / other stuff on a computer desk? I've spilled quite a dew drinks onto my desk over few years and none of them got onto my monitor / keyboard / mouse.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

How many keyboards have had a taste of you coffee by now?

Also how does one spill drinks onto one's keyboard / other stuff on a computer desk? I've spilled quite a dew drinks onto my desk over few years and none of them got onto my monitor / keyboard / mouse.

At the moment of writing this. A Logitech G11, 2 Dell membranes, A Blackwidow 2012 ultimate, Qpad MK-50 (i think it was), And this K95.....

It's all about the angle.. 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Accidently brushing the top of a MB capacitor while doing some routine maintenance, was like years ago thou, but still quite a shock!  :blink:

Tea and computers don't mix. :angry:

Weirdly enough, it doesn't even stop running if you spill vodka. It just leaves really curious stains ALL over your motherboard (I used to remember a time when my 990FXA-UD7 wasn't brown).

[spoiler = "My Computer Stuff"]

My ITX:

240 Air ; Z87I-Deluxe ; 4770K ; H100i ; G1 GTX 980TI ; Vengeance Pro 2400MHz (2x8GB) ; 3x 840 EVO (250GB) ; 2x WD Red Pro (4TB) ; RM650 ; 3x Dell U2414H ; G710+ ; G700s ; O2 + ODAC + Q701 ; Yamaha HTR-3066 + 5.1 Pioneer.

Things I Need To Get Off My Shelf:

250D ; 380T ; 800D ; C70 ; i7 920 ; i5 4670K ; Maximus Hero VI ; G.Skill 2133MHz (4x4GB) ; Crucial 2133MHz (2x4GB) ; Patriot 1600MHz (4x4GB) ; HX750 ; CX650M ; 2x WD Red (3TB) ; 5x 840 EVO (250GB) ; H60H100iH100i ; H100i ; VS247H-P ; K70 Reds ; K70 Blues ; K70 RGB Browns ; HD650.

Well, one of my mistakes is leaving a computer near the window of the second story. Again. I left my brother sleeping on the floor, then I opened my window early in the morning to get some fresh air. Then I realized I had move my computer upstairs into my room. I carried my computer up into my room, but I forgot my brother was on the floor. I didn't see him, because the computer obstructed my view. I tripped over my brother, let go out the computer, but it was more of a chuck it thing with the computer. It went so far, it actually landed on the street. Bye bye $6000 PC!

Was it your PC or someone elses? 

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Was it your PC or someone elses? 

Mine.

hmm well once when I first started messing with computers I didn't have all the screws holding the motherboard in place and I think one rolled under it and it shorted out the motherboard. Oh and when I was trouble shooting my old laptop I must have accidently turned it back on (cause like an idiot I didn't unplug it or take out the battery) and when I pulled out the HDD it fried it

current build and total cost   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/150083-thrift-shop-build/

I apologize for my crappy English I'm American

Buying my 770

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]