GTX 970 is 4GB today ?

RusKoV S

Is the GTX 970 really 4GB today or they are still selling it like if it was 4GB but in reality its 3.5GB ? Have they updated the info ?

Is the GTX 970 really 4GB today or they are still selling it like if it was 4GB but in reality its 3.5GB ? Have they updated the info ?

Nope. Still selling it the same way, as it still has 4GB of memory installed.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

It's still the same. They're still saying 4gb without an asterisk saying "only 3.5gb usable at one time", which I consider to be false advertising.

Its 4 gb usable.

Not all at once, not even close.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

No it's still 3.5 usable 

You're wrong. OP, please simply disregard anyone who says only 3.5GB is usable, as they are entirely incorrect.

All 4GB are usable. Every last MB. The speed at which it is used however changes. The first around 3500MB operates at the full transfer speed, and the last 500MB operates at around 1/7th to 20% of the speed of the first 3.5GB. When more than 3500MB is accessed, the memory runs at the slow speed. Any less, and it operates at full speed.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

It's still the same. They're still saying 4gb without an asterisk saying "only 3.5gb usable at one time", which I consider to be false advertising.

Not all at once, not even close.

They should have atleast droped the GPU price for this inconvinient

I was under the impression it was 4 gig usable but 3.5 gig proper speed .5 slow? 

I wish people would stop harping on this shit. 

Honestly, does it even matter? Look at benchmarks and see how the card performs, then decide from that if it works for you :)

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Relevant

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

Honestly, does it even matter? Look at benchmarks and see how the card performs, then decide from that if it works for you :)

Can you quote me? I think my notifications are broken

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

Pretty much this. I bought my GTX 970 before the issue surfaced, remembered that the benchmarks still had it neck and neck with the 290X with little obvious VRAM bottleneck, and I don't regret it for any reason. 65C loads are good for me.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I was under the impression it was 4 gig usable but 3.5 gig proper speed .5 slow? 

I wish people would stop harping on this shit. 

It works pretty good for 1080p at the moment. In the future I would expect it to have problems with things like Star Citizen and Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

It's 3.5gb of GDDR5 and .5gb of GDDR5 that runs at DDR3 system memory speed.

Relevant

What does SLI mean ? Like GTX 970 SLI

Dual, triple or quadruple cards.

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

Can you quote me? I think my notifications are broken

Sure?

Pretty much this. I bought my GTX 970 before the issue surfaced, remembered that the benchmarks still had it neck and neck with the 290X with little obvious VRAM bottleneck, and I don't regret it for any reason. 65C loads are good for me.

Yeah, I honestly don't care if it has only 3.5GB of fast VRAM, if it does 60 FPS at <insert game>, it still does 60 FPS at <insert game>. The lying thing is a whole different issue, but when deciding if you should buy the card I only really care about performance, noise, OCing etc.

It works pretty good for 1080p at the moment. In the future I would expect it to have problems with things like Star Citizen and Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

It's 3.5gb of GDDR5 and .5gb of GDDR5 that runs at DDR3 system memory speed.

Well, to be honest, I expect most cards to have problems with SC ;)

It means that you run two or more graphics card in parallel (distribute the computation across them)

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

SLI denotes the use of multiple cards in one system in configurations of two, three, and four cards. In this video that had to use SLI setups and extreme detail gaming to bring forth any issues with the 970's specs. The situations they tested were the worst case scenario and would not represent what anyone would actually be running their games at on a system equipped with single and dual 970's.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

Sure?

Yeah, I honestly don't care if it has only 3.5GB of fast VRAM, if it does 60 FPS at <insert game>, it still does 60 FPS at <insert game>. The lying thing is a whole different issue, but when deciding if you should buy the card I only really care about performance, noise, OCing etc.

Well, to be honest, I expect most cards to have problems with SC ;)

It means that you run two or more graphics card in parallel (distribute the computation across them)

That's true, but it's still an intentionally handicapped card, being sold under false pretenses that aren't being listed by the retailers selling them, and was not acknowledged by Nvidia until the userbase became aware of it.

And I refuse to believe it was a "miscommunication". That's horse shit, completely unprovable horseshit.

SLI denotes the use of multiple cards in one system in configurations of two, three, and four cards. In this video that had to use SLI setups and extreme detail gaming to bring forth any issues with the 970's specs. The situations they tested were the worst case scenario and would not represent what anyone would actually be running their games at on a system equipped with single and dual 970's.

Agreed. The only time I've had issues was when I ran things on my single 970 in DSR two times my native 1080p resolution.

They should have atleast droped the GPU price for this inconvinient

Nope. Performance stays the same and everyone knew it was a good card for the money before the news came out.

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

That's true, but it's still an intentionally handicapped card, being sold under false pretenses that aren't being listed by the retailers selling them, and was not acknowledged by Nvidia until the userbase became aware of it.

And I refuse to believe it was a "miscommunication". That's horse shit, completely unprovable horseshit.

Agreed. The only time I've had issues was when I ran things on my single 970 in DSR two times my native 1080p resolution.

I mean, I don't agree with the business practices behind it, but this isn't really the thread to discuss the issue :) I'd be happy to PM or talk in the official thread if you want.

15" MBP TB

I mean, I don't agree with the business practices behind it, but this isn't really the thread to discuss the issue :) I'd be happy to PM or talk in the official thread if you want.

Fair enough, just giving my opinion.

Yes, it is a nice card, I thought it was a downright amazing upgrade compared to my old problem ridden EVGA gtx660 FTW edition that had frequent sound and video playback problems that required multiple restarts to get rid of, then this issue came to light and I felt like my computer suddenly had herpes.

Edit: I'll say one positive thing, Asus, makes a hell of a card. I don't think I've ever actually been able to hear it over my case fans, and It has NEVER gone above 60c in temps, even when overclocked, holding it in your hand, it feels heavy and solid, like you can shake it a bit and not worry about hearing anything rattle etc. You can tell, this was quality made when you hold it in your hand, and the packaging was superb.

That being said, the strix is still butt ugly as all hell

You're wrong. OP, please simply disregard anyone who says only 3.5GB is usable, as they are entirely incorrect.

All 4GB are usable. Every last MB. The speed at which it is used however changes. The first around 3500MB operates at the full transfer speed, and the last 500MB operates at around 1/7th to 20% of the speed of the first 3.5GB. When more than 3500MB is accessed, the memory runs at the slow speed. Any less, and it operates at full speed.

Speed matters for memory, whether it be cache, RAM, storage, etc. Sure, they're all "usable", but speed makes the difference on how software performs and hardware is utilized.

Sure, all 4GB is "usable", but it's really 3.5GB in reality. The last 0.5GB is pretty much garbage for its intended purpose.