A video card recommendation for an older pc.

DeViLzzz

I am looking for a video card recommendation for the Acer Aspire AM1201-E1604B.  The specs for the pc are as follows:

AMD Athlon X2 4050e (2.1 GHz)
2 GB DDR2

This pc has a 250 watt psu with I believe 18 amps on the +12v rail so I know options must be quite limited.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

I feel that with the CPU and RAM, the Radeon HD 5450 or the GT 610 are the max card before you reach the absolute max of what the system can really utilize.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Is it really worth getting a GPU to that..?  Otherwise a really low end nvidia maybe could work

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

Is it really worth getting a GPU to that..?  Otherwise a really low end nvidia maybe could work

It is worth it to me as I like maxing out older pcs but of course I will do it at a reasonable cost or hell even trade something I don't need to get what I want that will benefit this pc. Also old gaming isn't bad. Heck I wish I still had my AMD K6 pc for playing certain games.

I feel that with the CPU and RAM, the Radeon HD 5450 or the GT 610 are the max card before you reach the absolute max of what the system can really utilize.

TheSLSAMG thanks so much for the info.

I am looking for a video card recommendation for the Acer Aspire AM1201-E1604B.  The specs for the pc are as follows:

AMD Athlon X2 4050e (2.1 GHz)

2 GB DDR2

This pc has a 250 watt psu with I believe 18 amps on the +12v rail so I know options must be quite limited.

You should get a EVGA GPU for that EVGA PSU.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

It is worth it to me as I like maxing out older pcs but of course I will do it at a reasonable cost or hell even trade something I don't need to get what I want that will benefit this pc.  Also old gaming isn't bad.  Heck I wish I still had my AMD K6 pc for playing certain games.

Then i think a nvidia GT series card or maybe an old radeon hd 5770 or 5750? (the hd 5770 actually manages to run bf4 at 60fps with 4gb of ram and a dual core)

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

What is the PC going to be used for? As an HTPC just get something like GT 610

If it stays with my son, his stepmother or I well I'd like to see it capable of playing some older games.  If it goes back to the person that had it before that just gave it away (my son's aunt who would not patiently wait for me to fix it and just gave it away to my son's stepmother and immediately went out and bought another turd) well it would be used just for surfing the net, email and watching videos.

You should get a EVGA GPU for that EVGA PSU.

You just won't let go eh.

Then i think a nvidia GT series card or maybe an old radeon hd 5770 or 5750? (the hd 5770 actually manages to run bf4 at 60fps with 4gb of ram and a dual core)

The 5770 is a beast! I used to use one in my PC, but then I modded it, and put on my desk as a decoration.

I got a Athlon 64 3800+ Venice sitting in my closet and a HD 5870 sitting in my machine. If I ever got bored I would see how bad the Athlon 64 chokes the HD 5870. :P

Tho I did own a Athlon II x3 450 that I had paired with a HD 4650 for a while that seem to run it just fine.

It would be interesting with this pc to put in a 500 watts psu I have laying around doing nothing that can provide 36 amps on the 12v rails, add some more DDR2 memory and get a decent video card. I know how to bargain shop so if I can upgrade this for cheap in terms of just adding things I will do it. It all comes down to cost/what someone wants in a trade. Eh anyway I am having fun with the thing as it was abandoned and man a smoker had it so cleaning it out wasn't the most fun.  Lucky there wasn't too much dust but boy did it smell. Anyway back to installing Windows Vista 32 bit. :S

Guys I know someone was selling a 1 GB 9800 GT super cheap .. $25 or so ..

If I upgrade the psu what do you think of running this card with this cpu?  

Btw in regards to the video card I would probably just try to trade for it so no cash coming out of my pocket ... hopefully.

Also the mobo has a 16x pci-e slot.

Guys I know someone was selling a 1 GB 9800 GT super cheap .. $25 or so ..

If I upgrade the psu what do you think of running this card with this cpu?  

Btw in regards to the video card I would probably just try to trade for it so no cash coming out of my pocket ... hopefully.

Also the mobo has a 16x pci-e slot.

I wouldn't even be scared of buying a card that the CPU could never push to its full potential as long as the price is right. If you can get a HD 5870 or a GTX 480 for like $40 on eBay then why not right? The card will run cool and quite all the time because its only hitting a fraction of its overall performance. It will only consume so much power as well because it's never coming close to a peak load. Which also gives so much room to the CPU to use as much of it as it can so there is no doubts about the CPU not reaping the full benefit of the GPU as there's plenty of GPU performance to spare. If you're going to replace the PSU that's what I personally would do. No sense in paying a bunch of money for an older or lower end card. Unless you want the hardware to match the era of the machine.

I wouldn't even be scared of buying a card that the CPU could never push to its full potential as long as the price is right. If you can get a HD 5870 or a GTX 480 for like $40 on eBay then why not right? The card will run cool and quite all the time because its only hitting a fraction of its overall performance. It will only consume so much power as well because it's never coming close to a peak load. Which also gives so much room to the CPU to use as much of it as it can so there is no doubts about the CPU not reaping the full benefit of the GPU as there's plenty of GPU performance to spare. If you're going to replace the PSU that's what I personally would do. No sense in paying a bunch of money for an older or lower end card. Unless you want the hardware to match the era of the machine.

Fingers crossed that the psu I am thinking about that is laying around not being used works like I think it does.

Well now I go to install an OS to the pc and the media drive is making all sorts of noise and won't install.  I keep getting boot disk error message.  I love and hate pcs. :S  I don't have an extra media drive laying around so now I got rip one out of my son's old pc to see if that takes care of things. :S

go into the bios and make the dvd-rom first boot device, the HD second and if there's no floppy, disable that....... then go on the page where you can adjust the time and disable the floppy there.

hit F10 and then enter to save your settings. the machine should now boot to the disc.

go into the bios and make the dvd-rom first boot device, the HD second and if there's no floppy, disable that....... then go on the page where you can adjust the time and disable the floppy there.

hit F10 and then enter to save your settings. the machine should now boot to the disc.

I know how to do all that and it was done and it didn't work.  The OS I have burned to dvd may be a bad one as it wouldn't boot off the dvd on my own working pc I am using now.

got an old drive somewhere. every once in a while I'll pull an old dvd out and have to run it on an old drive. Might have something to do with the laser that burned it..??

also, try cleaning it with windex and a paper towel. ( the dvd )

go with the grooves. don't scratch the shit out of it.

got an old drive somewhere. every once in a while I'll pull an old dvd out and have to run it on an old drive. Might have something to do with the laser that burned it..??

also, try cleaning it with windex and a paper towel. ( the dvd )

It could be the media I burned it to.  I know the media drive in my working pc I use every single day is fine.  It could just be the iso was a fake also.  In regards to cleaning the media drive in the pc I am fixing that thing was in a smokers house and never cleaned so I am wondering if media drives get killed pretty easy in those conditions. LOL

recheck all your connections inside the machine. you can also swap sata portspower and/or cables.

LabRat I swapped out media drives and that didn't work but then I reset the BIOS and that seemed to help but still at times it is not recognizing the drive there.  Now I am trying to install this OS to the hard drive and I am not sure it is going to take. I had it freeze up one time.  LOL!  

... and to be honest at least I am enjoying this experience even if I am not getting the end result I want.  I told my son tonight I kind of needed to work on something to get my brain on something other than fun and games.  I definitely have got what I needed in dealing with this Acer. 

yeah, it kind of pisses you off when bad crap happens but the real joy comes from monkeying around and getting it working right. not something too many people could appreciate.