URGENT: Overvoltage reported on 12V Rail

xByakko

Hey guys, I'm seriously stuck on this and need help.

First and foremost, I don't have a multimeter with me nor do I know how to work one.

So I built my friend his comp about two weeks ago. It was fine, then a week later he's been getting bsod, but I concluded that it was conflicting system files left over in his laptop hdd that we put in, which I did a clean reformat. It seemed fine for another two days, then suddenly his comp shut off, and after turning back on, the post screen showed the asus anti surge message. I was busy and was not able to come and diagnose for him until today. Considering the anti-surge message, I thought to isolate the psu first (Specs below), I unplugged all power cables and connected his computer to my power supply. The message continue to show, so I entered the bios, and noticed that the built-in voltage meter was reporting 14.4V on the 12V rail. Considering I'm trying the system with my own power supply which was used in my previous build and was perfectly stable for two years (Not overclocked), it seems unlikely that the same problem occurs on both my psu and my friend's psu. I have tried clearing the CMOS, no effect. I've read on some online forums that some people had to disconnect some of their hdd, so I disconnect all his drives, but no effect. I'm unable to calibrate the motherboard sensors with a multimeter, nor do I know how. My current conclusion is a faulty motherboard, which I'd reluctantly RMA if I have to, but I'll leave that to after I've tried as many diagnose as I can. Other potential theories I have right now is incompatible RAM (after reading some random thread). I don't have spare motherboards or memory with  me to test. Any constructive comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Computer Specs:

i5 4690k cpu

Asus Z97-A motherboard

Kingston Hyper X Fury 2x8GB 1600mhz CL9 memory

Corsair HX850i Psu

EVGA GTX 970 FTW gpu

Samsun 840 EVO 250GB SSD

My Power Supply:

Seasonic M12II 650W Psu

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K (Stock Speed)  Motherboard: Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark-S  Memory: 4x8GB Klevv GENUINE DDR3 1600MHz GPU: EVGA GTX 550Ti PSU: Corsair RM850

apparently there might be something wrong with your unit...

id contact corsair

as fro the motherboard.. have you tried to clear cmos ?

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=299

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

apparently there might be something wrong with your unit...

id contact corsair

as fro the motherboard.. have you tried to clear cmos ?

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=299

As mentioned in my post, I've tried it with two psu, 1 from Corsair, 1 from Seasonic, with the Seasonic PSU being my personal PSU thats been used for a few years in a stable system with no problems. Thus I'm not convinced that the PSU is at fault.

It's also mentioned in the post that I've already cleared the CMOS with no effect.

The review linked is a different power supply. (the HXi series is digital with platinum power efficiency, instead of the gold found in the previous HX series, thus I believe they don't share power design)

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K (Stock Speed)  Motherboard: Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark-S  Memory: 4x8GB Klevv GENUINE DDR3 1600MHz GPU: EVGA GTX 550Ti PSU: Corsair RM850