Should I get a mechanical keyboard?

numnums
Go to solution Solved by STRMfrmXMN,

Hi everyone,

I've to this day have never tried a mechanical keyboard and was wondering if I should get one. Are there any huge advantages in going from membrane to mechanical? Or maybe I shouldn't buy one? What do you guys think? Why opinions are greatly appreciated!

Check out the link in my sig about this whole shabang. That will help you decide if mechanical is what you want :)

Hi everyone,

I've to this day have never tried a mechanical keyboard and was wondering if I should get one. Are there any huge advantages in going from membrane to mechanical? Or maybe I shouldn't buy one? What do you guys think? Why opinions are greatly appreciated!

Current System Setup | Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D | CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K @4.0GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 8GB (2x4GB) | Graphics Card: MSI Radeon R9 290X | SSD: Samsung EVO 840 250GB | HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm | PSU: Corsair HX750W 80+ Gold | Display: Dell UltraSharp 24" U2414H | Headset: Tritton Kunai | Mouse: EtekCity Scroll X1 | Keyboard: Microsoft SideWinder X4 RED LED

There aren't any huge advantages going from membrane to mechanical, but if you have the money, they can feel a lot more satisfying and tactile to type/game on. Other than that there's just stuff like faster response times (1ms), cool lighting stuff, etc.

I highly suggest you try one out before though if you buy one.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

Like failbox said, get one if you have the money and just want something that's more enjoyable to use. Try to get the right switches for you though and not the ones people tell you you should get for your type of usage; I got a MX Brown keyboard and I think I would have liked blues a lot more.

G3258 @ 4.5 | 8GB Team Vulcan RAM | 128GB Kingston V300 SSD (I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it) | MSI H81I Motherboard | Corsair H55 with Noctua NF-P12 | EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB | OCZ 550W Fully Modular PSU with Noctua NF-A14 | Cooler Master Elite 130 (Soon to be something cool)

There aren't any huge advantages going from membrane to mechanical, but if you have the money, they can feel a lot more satisfying and tactile to type/game on. Other than that there's just stuff like faster response times (1ms), cool lighting stuff, etc.

I highly suggest you try one out before though if you buy one.

Ok let's say that all I do is type, would it be an overall better experience?

Current System Setup | Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D | CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K @4.0GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 8GB (2x4GB) | Graphics Card: MSI Radeon R9 290X | SSD: Samsung EVO 840 250GB | HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm | PSU: Corsair HX750W 80+ Gold | Display: Dell UltraSharp 24" U2414H | Headset: Tritton Kunai | Mouse: EtekCity Scroll X1 | Keyboard: Microsoft SideWinder X4 RED LED

Like failbox said, get one if you have the money and just want something that's more enjoyable to use. Try to get the right switches for you though and not the ones people tell you you should get for your type of usage; I got a MX Brown keyboard and I think I would have liked blues a lot more.

Browns are the ones that require more weight to push, yes?

There is one advantage. Most people because of the tactile feedback, and lack of mushiness tend to type faster on a mechanical keyboard.

Otherwise they tend to feel better. If you can afford it, test the varying switches out till you find one you like. Then see what's on offer in your price range.

Browns are the ones that require more weight to push, yes?

They are the ones that have the slight bump half way through. The blues have more of a click.

Greens are like browns but are heavier IIRC.

G3258 @ 4.5 | 8GB Team Vulcan RAM | 128GB Kingston V300 SSD (I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it) | MSI H81I Motherboard | Corsair H55 with Noctua NF-P12 | EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB | OCZ 550W Fully Modular PSU with Noctua NF-A14 | Cooler Master Elite 130 (Soon to be something cool)

It really depends on the person. Some people might find them a better experience, others not. So try them out and see if you like them.

Generally though, yes, they're a better experience. Once you go clack, there's no going back.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

Blues tend to be recommended by typists, browns, and reds by gamers, depending on preferences.

Blues tend to be recommended by typists, browns, and reds by gamers, depending on preferences.

Hmmm what kind would resemble more to a classic membrane feel?

Hmmm what kind would resemble more to a classic membrane feel?

Probably blacks, or reds. (blacks have a slightly heavier feel, so you won't get as many mistyped letters)

Neither of which has a tactile bump, or click.

I would honestly love to get a k95 with browns, but they're not cheap, and I'm running a k95 with reds ATM. not worth it for me to upgrade.

It might be worth your time to check massdrop once you've decided what keyswitches you want.

I think the red switches will probably do me justice. Are there any good brands I should watch for?

If you're an avid computer user who games a lot, that is a no brainer.. YES.

I use to buy cheap membrane keyboards because I didn't think it would matter and that as long as it typed, that was all I needed.

Oh was I wrong. Plus the satisfaction of typing on a mechanical keyboard, less typos, longevity... 

As of this moment I'm using reds and they're a bit noisy but I love how it sounds.

If you're only going to use it to type, I'd maybe go with blues or blacks. 

tldr; YES, you won't look back. Reds for gaming, blues for typists.

i hate making new accounts

I had never used a mechanical keyboard and my first one i purchased was a ducky sine 3.Absouletly best pc purchase ive done so far

Although my wife hates them  :)

there's not a huge difference between a beech keyboard or a membrane one in practical usage.

I have a corsair k70 with cherry mx reds. its a great keyboard and works well for gaming but the switches don't make a huge difference. yes there's less travel when you press them to the in screen action happening, but I bottom out all the keys while gaming anywho.

also with reds typing is harder as if you press an adjacent key just a small amount it will activate the key switch and you'll end up typing like you're drunk.

however I do 90% of my typing on a mac keyboard so full pc keyboards are a bit forign to me other than for gaming.

also my keyboard is super loud lol chat tat tat tat tat tat is an accurate sound.

if you have the cash and need a new keyboard get a mech! if your on a budget or don't need a new one don't. its not a night and day upgrade

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

One of the reasons I went mechanical was because they are of much higher quality and more durable than your average non-mechanical keyboard. The keys and switch mechanic will last a lot longer plus you can change the keys if they wear out. Also you can remove the keys for easy cleaning crums and stuff that fell beneath the keys. Last plus for me is the aesthetics. There are many types to choose from like 60%, TKL or full size each with different looks from understated class to something more remarkable. Last for me was the switch feel as I never had a problem with laptop keyboards. When you do switch from a non mechanical to mechanical I felt the height of the keys causing a lot of errors because my fingers got stuck on a key dragging them from key to key. This changed when I bought keycaps type cherry which are lower than standard keycaps type OEM.

When I spent 1500 euro on my first rig I wanted input devices that match the qualities of the components inside my computer. These are the things that you touch everyday so they better are of top quality. Same with monitor. Do not skimp on keyboard, mouse or monitor IMHO. They will last you a lot longer too than your average computer normally.

One of the reasons I went mechanical was because they are of much higher quality and more durable than your average non-mechanical keyboard. The keys and switch mechanic will last a lot longer plus you can change the keys if they wear out. Also you can remove the keys for easy cleaning crums and stuff that fell beneath the keys. Last plus for me is the aesthetics. There are many types to choose from like 60%, TKL or full size each with different looks from understated class to something more remarkable. Last for me was the switch feel as I never had a problem with laptop keyboards. When you do switch from a non mechanical to mechanical I felt the height of the keys causing a lot of errors because my fingers got stuck on a key dragging them from key to key. This changed when I bought keycaps type cherry which are lower than standard keycaps type OEM.

When I spent 1500 euro on my first rig I wanted input devices that match the qualities of the components inside my computer. These are the things that you touch everyday so they better are of top quality. Same with monitor. Do not skimp on keyboard, mouse or monitor IMHO. They will last you a lot longer too than your average computer normally.

So if I were to transition from the flat keys of a laptop to something like the Reds of a mechanical keyboard, it wouldn't be a problem?

If you spend a generous amount of time on the PC, then it is absolutely worth it.

P

Ah good point, I didn't think of it like that.

They are the ones that have the slight bump half way through. The blues have more of a click.

Greens are like browns but are heavier IIRC.

Blues and Browns feel close to the same.  They both have the bump, but Blues have the click (and are ever so marginally stiffer than browns).  Greens are like blues but much heavier, clickyness and all.  As for liking blues or browns more thats per person honestly.  I love the feel of mx blues, but I hate the click.  Tried mx browns and I hate them (even though they feel almost identical, guess the actuation force difference makes that much difference in my case ).  My favorite switch is MX Reds.  I am the fastest and most accurate on them, which is odd because MX Blues are the ones geared for typing.. but I'm just so slow and inaccurate on them.  Just goes to show everyone is different.

Hi everyone,

Check out the link in my sig about this whole shabang. That will help you decide if mechanical is what you want :)

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

So if I were to transition from the flat keys of a laptop to something like the Reds of a mechanical keyboard, it wouldn't be a problem?

You wouldn't have any problem with the key feel itself which you probably like more than laptop keys but the actual physical height of the keycaps was quite the change for me. But this can be changed by changing the keycaps for a set in cherry profile.