Blower style or not for my specific case

Balthesar

So in the next week or so I was planning to upgrade to a GTX 980.  I usually go with EVGA, though I heard their 900s have been lacking, still haven't fully decided.

My main question though is about cooler styles.  I have a bizarre case, the Silverstone Raven RV05. http://www.techspot.com/review/846-silverstone-rv05/ 

In case you aren't familiar with the series, the internals are rotated 90 degrees.  Air flow is from bottom to top.  It works really well, between the huge fans on the bottom and heat rising. (Installation however, was a bitch)

In the documentation, it specifically recommends video cards that exhaust to the rear.  Due to this I've been planning on buying a blower style card.  I decided to finally ask around though to see if that is a good idea.  I know blowers are much worse in terms of cooling normally, so is it really possible this case would work better with blower cards?  Hopefully someone here has some experience with the Raven series cases.  I'm just not sure if they pulled that recommendation out of their ass or if there is validity to it.

Thanks!

That case looks quite air constricting, so I would take the manual's advice and use a blower style card.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Airflow may not be optimal, but if you go for a more silent version where the fans only spin under load, it may not not make much of a difference.

sold

Absolutely go with the reference blower with the Raven cases.  Thats what those cases are designed around.

Mothership - 3770k @ 4.5 - 980ti SLI - Z77UD5

Protégé - FX8350 @ 4.8 - Fury X - CHVFZ

And we almost had a consensus until n0x1ous showed up!  Nox have you had a Raven case before?  Did the blower style work a lot better?

Go with Open air, the closed blower coolers suck and those 180mm air penatraors will move plenty of air in the case so that warm air around the 980 will get pushed out. Reference coolers suck balls for cooling and noise. In which case, get MSI, Gigabyte or Asus open air coolers. i'm not a van of EVGA's products

The only reason to ever get a closed blower reference cooler is for a really small ITX gaming build or miniTX

Absolutely go with the reference blower with the Raven cases.  Thats what those cases are designed around.

No there not. They can work with any air cooling card. The closed reference design just blows air directely out vs venting it the case which in the case of twin 180mm air penatrators moving airflow like God farting, its completely negated, it won't effect internal temps. 

And its been proven that 90 degree cases don't cool any better then standard horizontal cases

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Vertical-vs-Horizontal-Case-Cooling-89/