Is it worth getting a DVD Drive?

Duzzaaaa

Hey everyone.

So im planning on building my new pc at the end of the month, and was wondering if it was worth spending an additional £13 on a dvd drive. On a tight budget, so unless its necessary/much easier to use, then I'd prefer to save the £13 and put it towards something better. Not sure if I need it for installing drives for SSD/Mobo etc...

Build will have: CPU, Inbuilt GPU, SSD, PSU, RAM, USB wifi adaptor, OS (I have a 3GB file downloaded for windows 8.1 Pro), Case, Monitor

Let me know your thoughts.

Getting a disk drive is pretty much gambling whether your motherboard will have ethernet capability without a driver or not. if it doesn't, then you better download them USB or you can't use it without it. (as Ethernet drivers usually on a disk), however, the computer will typically read a usb drive without drivers, so you could probably get away without getting one, however I personally own one even though I rarely use it as its nice to have for the occasional disk that may fly by. If you already own a computer you could steal the disk drive from that, but there's no real reason to buy one in your use case.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

You can get windows off a USB from a good friend. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Getting a disk drive is pretty much gambling whether your motherboard will have ethernet capability without a driver or not. if it doesn't, then you better download them USB or you can't use it without it. (as Ethernet drivers usually on a disk), however, the computer will typically read a usb drive without drivers, so you could probably get away without getting one, however I personally own one even though I rarely use it as its nice to have for the occasional disk that may fly by. If you already own a computer you could steal the disk drive from that, but there's no real reason to buy one in your use case.

I'm getting the MSI Z97 PC Mate, any thoughts?

I'm getting the MSI Z97 PC Mate, any thoughts?

If the Ethernet nor USB Wifi dongle thing doesn't work without drivers, then you can just USB some drivers over, so I think you are fine. (fine as fine getting away with not getting a disk drive for computer installation purposes)

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

I just intalled W7 (MSI mobo). I used USB flashdrive (Windows 7 Iso) to install W7, and used an other computer to download the driver for ethernet, then installed the drivers on the new computer, and then downloaded all the drivers from the different companies (MSI/Logitech/...). That's the usual way to do it. I have no DVD drive.

it's funny how optical media for pc's are becoming as antiquated as floppies these days.  I still occasionally  use mine to burn some blu-ray media.  These days installing OS via usb is so much faster and convenient.

I wiped my PC tonight. Put windows on a USB stick, then put my Mobo drivers on it and installed them off that. Worked a charm for me!

It is generally unecessary. If you have no other need for a drive, then I would skip it. If it doesn't work out you can buy the drive or use a friends computer to get the necessary drivers.

• 2 weeks later...

I went for a Bly-ray drive, I got a stack of DVDs and games so I kinda need it :)

Don't even bother. Just make sure you have access to another PC in case you need to download anything.

I just downloaded ethernet and USB drivers onto my laptop, and moved it via USB to my desktop

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it