Anti-virus/anti-malware

shert73
Go to solution Solved by Mao_Zedong,

Use Avast or AVG and malwarebytes. I heard Kaspersky is also good.

just got my pc finished, what software should i get to protect my new build?

<p>CPU: Intel i7 4790k(4.9GHz), Motherboard: ASUS sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 (2 way SLI) PSU: EVGA 850w G2 Storage: Intel 730 Series 240GB 2.5" SSD, Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Case: NZXT H440 Designed by Razer, EK,Alphacool,Bitspower custom loop.

“Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding.”

Albert Einstein 14 December 1930

I honestly just use Windows Defender for real time and have Malwarebytes for serious issues.

A lot of the big name antivirus programs can interfere with the Valve's VAC system, if you like playing their games that is.

I honestly just use Windows Defender for real time and have Malwarebytes for serious issues.

A lot of the big name antivirus programs can interfere with the Valve's VAC system, if you like playing their games that is.

i dont know what your talking about, whats the VAC system?

<p>CPU: Intel i7 4790k(4.9GHz), Motherboard: ASUS sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 (2 way SLI) PSU: EVGA 850w G2 Storage: Intel 730 Series 240GB 2.5" SSD, Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Case: NZXT H440 Designed by Razer, EK,Alphacool,Bitspower custom loop.

“Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding.”

Albert Einstein 14 December 1930

I wouldn't touch AVG, McAfee, or Norton. Norton isn't really that bad, but it can hog resources which is a big no no.

Malwarebytes is a wonderful tool to scan and detect viruses, it's the only scanner I fully trust (but I do run secondary scans from other utilities to be safe).

As much as I shouldn't advertise this on the internet, I don't use an antivirus on my main computer. For just about everyone, this is a horrible idea. I have other security measures in place, such as a strict firewall on my router. I, along with several of my closest technologically inclined friends, do not run antivirus programs because we are very cautions online. We are all trained on Internet security (through college and work), and we all have security certifications to back up our knowledge. We know what to NOT click on when browsing the web, and we never browse to sites we are unfamiliar with on our unprotected rigs. If we are unsure about a site, we wait until we are on a protected computer so we can navigate to it and test it out. Also, think about adding AdBlock Plus to every web browser (https://adblockplus.org/).

One thing to also note, no antivirus or internet security is 100%, and that having multiple security programs running at the same time can cause massive issues in some (or most) cases. You are the overall master of the program. I work in a retail store repairing and fixing broken or infected computers, and the first question we get when someone comes in with a virus is "But I have an antivirus, how can I get viruses?" Our answer every time is that if you click on a link and the antivirus doesn't block it, it doesn't mean the link is clean. You are ultimately in control of the software, if you override something (similar to the User Account Control window that comes up before opening some programs), you are allowing it access to your computer. Always proceed with caution, even with an antivirus program. (My favorite analogy is that condoms and birth control are still less than 100% effective).

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

I usually use Malwarebytes, it almost never lets anything through, and if it does. it'll tell you and you can delete it instantly.

I use ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus for my AV and malwarebytes for malware.

X99 WhoKnowsAnymore
CPU: Intel i7 5930K | Motherboard: MSI X99A Gaming Pro Carbon | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid | 

Avast and Malwarebytes , love them both ...  :D

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

i dont know what your talking about, whats the VAC system?

VAC is Valve's anti-cheat program that they use in their games with multiplayer. 

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7849-Radz-6869

And there's an official list of programs, including antivirus, that can interfere with it and Steam. 

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9828-SFLZ-9289

Moved to Operating Systems and Software.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Avast is turning into a resource hogger too

atm I run Kaspersky and malwarebytes and had no problem since, Kaspersky saved me a couple of times from risky sites and files

also instead of using AdBlock Plus I would recommend µBlock it is more lightweight.

Deleted code is debugged code.

Use Avast or AVG and malwarebytes. I heard Kaspersky is also good.

EWWWWWWWWWWWW AVG AND AVAST

I personally use Windows Defender and Malware Bytes (I use malware bytes because I don't go on stupid websites and I know what I am doing.)

I think we really need a sticky on this, or recommend software in general.  I feel like this question is asked too much.

That aside:

For free AV you should either get Avira or Bitdefender.  Bitdefender is more lightweight, but it doesn't give you many options in terms of control or how it works.

If you want a paid one then either Bitdefender or Kaspersky.  I would probably go with Kaspersky just for the fact that their team has found a lot of security issues in the past.  You can also check out AVTEST, a third-party company that rates AVs.  (Bitdefender and Kaspersky are the top 2)