Ultrabook CPU never exceeds 47% usage and doesnt even boost

Hitalio
Go to solution Solved by Hitalio,

Not off the top of my head, sorry. is was the asus software that comes with the desktop widget for controlling battery life.

Been looking in the pc, i found the problem. Dont ask why but it was the configuration of the intel hd graphics, changed that to maximum performance and now the processor is at 1.7 ghz while connected.

Okay, i have been struggling with this for hours and couldnt find the answer. So what a better place to ask than here.

Here is the deal, i own a samsung series 5 ultrabook model np540u3c which has an intel i5-3317u processor. The problem is that the processor NEVER runs at 1.7 ghz, nor it boosts, it just stays at 0.8 ghz.

I changed the energy plan to high performance and made sure that max cpu % was set at 100%.

I also ran prime 95 to see if i could make it run at a higer clock speed, but it stayed at 0.8ghz, and the usage never exceeded 47% in task manager.

I looked into the bios to disable intel speedstep, but it wasnt there. i also checked any other power saving options, disabled them but the problem was still there.

i wanted to do something about this as the computer dont run as it should, it is a relatively new pc.

Any help would be appreciated.(ps: sorry for my english)

Okay, i have been struggling with this for hours and couldnt find the answer. So what a better place to ask than here.

Here is the deal, i own a samsung series 5 ultrabook model np540u3c which has an intel i5-3317u processor. The problem is that the processor NEVER runs at 1.7 ghz, nor it boosts, it just stays at 0.8 ghz.

I changed the energy plan to high performance and made sure that max cpu % was set at 100%.

I also ran prime 95 to see if i could make it run at a higer clock speed, but it stayed at 0.8ghz, and the usage never exceeded 47% in task manager.

I looked into the bios to disable intel speedstep, but it wasnt there. i also checked any other power saving options, disabled them but the problem was still there.

i wanted to do something about this as the computer dont run as it should, it is a relatively new pc.

Any help would be appreciated.(ps: sorry for my english)

are you on battery or plugged in?

are you on battery or plugged in?

Pluged in obviously, i tripled check the energy options, that is not the problem

I think you would need to get to a higher cpu usage than 47% for the turbo bost to kick in. I would run a benchmark ie. unigen which should max it out and then look at clock speed using something like cpuid.

:)xD9_9:D:PB|

I think you would need to get to a higher cpu usage than 47% for the turbo bost to kick in. I would run a benchmark ie. unigen which should max it out and then look at clock speed using something like cpuid.

i tried reaching cpu usage with prime 95 smal ffts which should get the cpu to 100%, but never did get past 47%, leaving the clock speed at 1 ghz lower than what shows in my pc.

i tried reaching cpu usage with prime 95 smal ffts which should get the cpu to 100%, but never did get past 47%, leaving the clock speed at 1 ghz lower than what shows in my pc.

What I am telling you to do is run something more intensive that will get your cpu nearer to that 100% mark such as the unigen valley benchmark, and use a live cpu clock monitor like cpuid. Then you should see the turbo frequency.

What I am telling you to do is run something more intensive that will get your cpu nearer to that 100% mark such as the unigen valley benchmark, and use a live cpu clock monitor like cpuid. Then you should see the turbo frequency.

Just downloaded unigen valley benchmark AND aida 64 just to be sure. Still with the same problem

Just downloaded unigen valley benchmark AND aida 64 just to be sure. Still with the same problem

so you are telling me that no matter what you throw at your computer the cpu usage never goes above 47%??????

so you are telling me that no matter what you throw at your computer the cpu usage never goes above 47%??????

Made a mistake, the power plan changed to power saving. I changed it to high performance, run the valley benchmark and it boosted to 1.8ghz.

What i would like to know if there is a way to make it run at 1.7 ghz as it should, or if this isnt possible.

Thanks for the help

Made a mistake, the power plan changed to power saving. I changed it to high performance, run the valley benchmark and it boosted to 1.8ghz.

What i would like to know if there is a way to make it run at 1.7 ghz as it should, or if this isnt possible.

Thanks for the help

So the way that turbo boost works is that it down clocks your cpu when you are not using it so that it does not use as much power, but when you start to use the computer more intensely it will ramp up to that turbo speed. There is absolutely no reason for why you would need to turn off turbo boost and run it at 1.7ghz all of the time, and I don't think it is even possible.

So the way that turbo boost works is that it down clocks your cpu when you are not using it so that it does not use as much power, but when you start to use the computer more intensely it will ramp up to that turbo speed. There is absolutely no reason for why you would need to turn off turbo boost and run it at 1.7ghz all of the time, and I don't think it is even possible.

Yes i undestand that, but it seems strange that the only way to make it turbo is to run a very heavy benchmark. I feel that the ultrabook would feel a lot more responsive if it were not fot the lame 0.8 ghz on the core, which i only got it to boost with unigine.

Guess i will have to live with it.

My boss has an ASUS Ultrabook and after a lot of searching found they had intentionally under-clocked the cpu to increase battery life and lower thermal output (his is fan-less, so passive cooling only) this was done with some software running on the PC un-install that and it speeds up but you have to be careful about the heat then.

My boss has an ASUS Ultrabook and after a lot of searching found they had intentionally under-clocked the cpu to increase battery life and lower thermal output (his is fan-less, so passive cooling only) this was done with some software running on the PC un-install that and it speeds up but you have to be careful about the heat then.

Looked in control panel, couldnt find anything. Do you remember the name of the software?

Looked in control panel, couldnt find anything. Do you remember the name of the software?

Not off the top of my head, sorry. is was the asus software that comes with the desktop widget for controlling battery life.

Been looking in the pc, i found the problem. Dont ask why but it was the configuration of the intel hd graphics, changed that to maximum performance and now the processor is at 1.7 ghz while connected.