My experience with my 860k

So today has been quite the adventure, had to run to Best Buy to get extra thermal compound because my brand new 860k was overheating causing Windows to boot 50% of the time and freeze constantly. But not when I first put it in... When I first put it in it was fine, running small games like garry's mod and killing floor. Though once I overclocked it, things flipped, where what I said in the beginning started happening. Even when I went back to stock I was having trouble with stability. Reapplied thermal compound twice. Temps were around 50 degrees celcius at BIOS. So I was lost, I have a cooler master 212 evo btw. So I kept checking the thermal paste making sure it wasn't that. Then thought maybe it's a bad chip? Nope. I have it clocked at 4.4GHz right now with temps under 60 degrees under a burn in test under 100 percent load. My my, max! What did you do?! Um. I'm not sure. What I think I did was screw in the mounts on the mobo to connect the heatsink in really tight since one fell off. Does one mounting screw make that much of a difference?! 

PCPartPicker Link To My Build

My YouTube channel, also check out my Twitch Stream!

Check out my Lastest CS:GO Video!

So I kept checking the thermal paste

Did you clean off and reapply thermal paste every time you removed the cooler?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Didi you fine tune your voltages? I had stability issues at stock speeds on my 8150 but then I tuned the vcore by finding the lowest stable voltage and everything was fine. Temperatures were also very low (28-29*C idle    20* ambient)

What I think I did was screw in the mounts on the mobo to connect the heatsink in really tight since one fell off. Does one mounting screw make that much of a difference?! 

yes, of course it does...it's amazingly important that you cooler makes proper contact with your cpu man!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

remount the cooler

and reapply the thermal paste

sometimes a BIOS update may help a bit to fix bugs with the mobo applying too much voltage to the CPU for a certain speed

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Did you clean off and reapply thermal paste every time you removed the cooler?

Yes sir! Pain in the butt it was! Especially with the 212 Evo's terrible bracket mounting system that pretty much screwed me this entire time. 

Didi you fine tune your voltages? I had stability issues at stock speeds on my 8150 but then I tuned the vcore by finding the lowest stable voltage and everything was fine. Temperatures were also very low (28-29*C idle    20* ambient)

Call me lazy but my MOBO and CPU have done me well with reliable quick overclocks that have been stable to the point of 100% load over night and still going at it in the morning. What cooler do you have?

yes, of course it does...it's amazingly important that you cooler makes proper contact with your cpu man!

I found that out the increasingly stressful way :D

PCPartPicker Link To My Build

My YouTube channel, also check out my Twitch Stream!

Check out my Lastest CS:GO Video!

What cooler do you have?

Depending on the day, NH C-14 with both fans blowing toward the motherboard or a H100 with a fan blowing on the CPU socket area.