won't we need more ram once next gen consoles Release?

1funnygame

I've noticed that some people still recommend 4gigs to 8gigs of ram for your pc and that's fine for now but i imagine in 1 or 2 years we will need over 8gigs of ram to keep up with games being made for next gen consoles maybe between 10 to 16 gigs.

it seems i may need to upgrade my rig

what are your thoughts on It?

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?

8 gigs fast ram should still be fine

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

8 gigs fast ram should still be fine

but we still need to run windows don't we?

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?

I'm guessing 8GB will be fine for a while, I don't know anyone who recommends 4GB. (I use more than 4GB with no games or anything open)

If you bought a 2x4GB kit, at least you can just grab another and have 16GB if you need it.

I'm guessing 8GB will be fine for a while, I don't know anyone who recommends 4GB. (I use more than 4GB with no games or anything open)

If you bought a 2x4GB kit, at least you can just grab another and have 16GB if you need it.

How? I ran 4GB's of RAM on my old machine for 2 years and barely hit 2GB's with Skype and Google Chrome open. Using Windows 7.

I could play games with Skype open also and used about 2.3GB's of RAM. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

because if consoles have 512MB of ram and computers need 4gigs for even a non gaming pc won't we need more than 8gigs to keep up with next gen Consoles?

I don't think more than 8 will be needed any time soon. For the next 1-2 years 8 will be the standard for maxing out games I think. Technically, since the consoles have 8 gigs too, we would need a little more (because of the OS and multitasking) but I don't think that devs will manage to push the next-gen hardware to the max this soon, that will come in 3 years or even more.

and could the fact that most pcs have less than 8gig of ram stop game makers from porting games over from consoles for fear of a small consumer Base?

I don't think more than 8 will be needed any time soon. For the next 1-2 years 8 will be the standard for maxing out games I think. Technically, since the consoles have 8 gigs too, we would need a little more (because of the OS and multitasking) but I don't think that devs will manage to push the next-gen hardware to the max this soon, that will come in 3 years or even more.

I'm not so sure i think that game makers will hit the max consoles have to offer much faster after this gen because they are so similar to pcs so they know how to optimize well to start with

Keep in mind that the ram from the consoles is for both the gpu and cpu. So if you count you gpu memory and ram together you already have about 10 gb.

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

As I have said in a previous topic about this subject, the consoles don't have access to all 8GB of RAM.

The PS4 only has 7GB at it's disposal while the Done has only 5GB.

8GB will be fine for another 2 to 3 years max. Plus 16GB kits are already dirt cheap anyway so you won't burn a hole in your pocket when you need to upgrade.

Im sure that we will need more Ram.
But im more concerend about Vram because there are already games where I run out of 2GB Vram like Crysis 3 and the BF4 alpha benchmarks also show more then 2GB VRam usage.
That could bottleneck the Pc over consoles because they can use all the Ram for the GPU without the FPS crashing.
MIcrosoft gave a Anwser to that problem with DX11.2 but the most People don't use Windows 8 and will they use it in Games?
We can have all the GPU Power we wan't but we when the GPUs just don't have enough VRam were Scrued.

RTX2070OC 

Just because 8GB is available, doesn't mean they'll use all of it. Considering what game developers managed with current gen consoles, it's entirely possible they won't max out all of the available memory that quickly.

The idea with having more available memory is to allow game developers more freedom for the more extreme cases. The average game will be nowhere close to using that much memory. Using memory efficiently will carry onto the next generation.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Just because 8GB is available, doesn't mean they'll use all of it. Considering what game developers managed with current gen consoles, it's entirely possible they won't max out all of the available memory that quickly.

The idea with having more available memory is to allow game developers more freedom for the more extreme cases. The average game will be nowhere close to using that much memory. Using memory efficiently will carry onto the next generation.

but if i was a console dev i would try to max out the console as soon as possible so that people will be in awe at the game and buy it

but if i was a console dev i would try to max out the console as soon as possible so that people will be in awe at the game and buy it

Except they don't need to go that far to do it. Case in point, The Last of Us.

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

But im more concerend about Vram because there are already games where I run out of 2GB Vram like Crysis 3 and the BF4 alpha benchmarks also show more then 2GB VRam usage.

That could bottleneck the Pc over consoles because they can use all the Ram for the GPU without the FPS crashing.

MIcrosoft gave a Anwser to that problem with DX11.2 but the most People don't use Windows 8 and will they use it in Games?

We can have all the GPU Power we wan't but we when the GPUs just don't have enough VRam were Scrued.

I'm kinda worries a little about VRAM running out as you are. The Playstation 4 has 8GB GDDR5 the max we can get is 6GB. Most people have 2GB-4GB of VRAM.

CPU - I7 4770k @ 4.3GHz GPU - EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Extreme RAM - 16GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 2133MHz  Case - Corsair 800D PSU - Corsair AX1,200i CPU Cooler - Custom Liquid CPU Cooler SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Hard Drive - Western Digital Black 1TB.

Except they don't need to go that far to do it. Case in point, The Last of Us.

but didn't the last of us use as much power as there was available and still not look that Good?

that's a very good point

How? I ran 4GB's of RAM on my old machine for 2 years and barely hit 2GB's with Skype and Google Chrome open. Using Windows 7.

bGNjbC1.png

2cWBWGq.png

bGNjbC1.png

2cWBWGq.png

You have "nothing open" yet you have Skype, steam, league of legends, EVGA Precision, Akamai, Avast, Rainmeter etc open. Of course its going to use more than 4GB. You said you were using more than 4GB with nothing open. You just went against what you just said.

System Specs:

You have "nothing open" yet you have Skype, steam, league of legends, EVGA Precision, Akamai, Avast, Rainmeter etc open. Of course its going to use more than 4GB. You said you were using more than 4GB with nothing open. You just went against what you just said.

Should have specified meant no games or anything similar (full screen apps) open. Btw, that's just the league launcher.

Should have specified meant no games or anything similar (full screen apps) open. Btw, that's just the league launcher.

The league launcher uses loads of memory. Its built using Adobe Air which is total crap/bloatware.

System Specs:

but didn't the last of us use as much power as there was available and still not look that Good?

I would personally look at it the other way around: It's amazingly gorgeous considering the memory they have available.

I would personally look at it the other way around: It's amazingly gorgeous considering the memory they have available.

it does indeed but des love to chew up resources with fast cheap code and now that they are more able to i doubt they have a reason not to

Depends on what you do with your system. I can run through 32gb rather quick.

2012-11-05_16-51-12_867.jpg