won't we need more ram once next gen consoles Release?

1funnygame

I pretty much use around 4-5 GB with chrome and apps like skype so i can easily play BF3 while having chrome and other apps open but for instance Planetside 2 with system uses around 5 GB of ram so i have to close chrome because of it. I think il upgrade to 16GB soon.

AMD Radeon 7870 Gigabyte OC / Intel i5 3570k / ASrock Z77 Pro4 /Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Blue 500GB 7200rpm / Kingston HyperX T1 2x4GB 1600mhz / SeaSonic 520w M12 / Thermaltake v4 Black

This is my how much RAM I use for my everyday PC usage.. these programs except the GRO Launcher are stuff I run 24/7. And I do not suffer from low RAM while playing games. 8GB is doing fine right now. Not too expensive to upgrade to 16GB later.

2lk7jn9.jpg

You don't need more than 8GB for most PC usage. Although my friend who knows nothing about PCs added 16GB to the 16GB I already put in to the build that I had made for him on PCpartpicker, so a total of 32GB, he won't ever run out of RAM...

Blackhawk007 What are you running to get that? Please show us! :P

They're sharing a drink they call loneliness, but it's better than drinkin' alone...

BitFenix Prodigy Black / Intel Core i7 3770K / Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI mITX / ASUS GeForce GTX 660Ti DCUII 2GB / Corsair Vengance LP 8GB (2x4096MB) CL9 1600Mhz / Corsair SF600 - 600W  / Corsair H70 Push Pull

This is my how much RAM I use for my everyday PC usage.. these programs except the GRO Launcher are stuff I run 24/7. And I do not suffer from low RAM while playing games. 8GB is doing fine right now. Not too expensive to upgrade to 16GB later.

You don't need more than 8GB for most PC usage. Although my friend who knows nothing about PCs added 16GB to the 16GB I already put in to the build that I had made for him on PCpartpicker, so a total of 32GB, he won't ever run out of RAM...

Blackhawk007 What are you running to get that? Please show us! :P

Just using 25gb for Chrome........ maybe lol

I think what some people are getting confused here is that on consoles: The 8GB isn't just VRAM, it's shared between EVERYTHING. The developers will only be able to use a portion of that 8GB for VRAM, and likely won't be able to max it out for quite some time.

The reason I say this is because compared to a high end video card (Say a 680 2GB or 7970 3GB), they have MUCH less power, yet far more available memory. Yes you can increase a certain amount of VRAM usage by things such as higher res textures, and so on, but really, there's only SO MUCH you can do, before the GPU itself becomes a bottleneck and lacks the power to properly utilize the increased VRAM. Eventually, over time, they'll learn new tricks and other optimizations to use more VRAM, but it's not going to be some magical quick thing.

On any decent gaming PC you have: 8GB of SYSTEM Memory. That's just for OS, background, and loading the game itself. Plus your dedicated VRAM (2GB Min on a good gaming PC). So in "comparison" to the Next Gen consoles, a gaming PC has a minimum of 10GB*, with upwards of 11GB to 14GB depending on your video card.

And believe me, as soon as VRAM becomes an actual issue, you can be damn sure that AMD and NVidia will be putting out Video Cards with higher VRAM. They could fairly easily take any current gen card and double the RAM on it. Sure the PCB might be a bit longer as a result, but it could still be done. And even if maxed out VRAM becomes an issue sooner rather then later, all we'll need to do is turn down some graphical settings slightly. That's one huge advantage PC gamers have over console. We can change the settings.

*10GB = 8GB System RAM + 2GB VRAM

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)