windows 7 or windows 8?

Air tree

I know this question has been asked countless times but should i really go for windows 8? i mean windows 7 has xp mode and no metro and a real start button, other than windows 8 being a bit faster do you really think i should try windows 8? or should i just stay with good ol' windows 7? also this is for a new pc i'm going to build.

I'm also interested in knowing this lol. I want to upgrade my motherboard soon and I want to know if I should just go windows 8 when I do a fresh install of windows. Like is it worth however much the eom or whatever variation is best.

my gfs rig is windows 8 no issues so far my rig windows 7 but when i reformat next it will be going windows 8

Main Rig: CPU: 3570k Mobo: ga-z77x-ud5h-wb :RAM: 8gb kingson ddr3 1600 :gpu crossfire amd 290's Case: zalman z9 plus Cooler: h80i p/p SSD: nutron 120gb HDD: 2tb wd green 4tb seagate desktop                                              

Girlfirends: CPU: 8350 Mobo 990fxa-ud3 Ram 8gb kingson ddr3 1600 gpu: his 7850 case: inwin dragon rider SSD: nutron 120gb HDD: 2tb seagate                                                                                                                                         

I like windows 8 and I got used to the metro. So it's not a big deal for me

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

windows 8, and if you can't stand the metro interface and you want the start menu back, you can simple download 'startisback' and you'll still have the performence of w8 with the looks of w7 :D

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

It's the future :)

Cooler Master 690 II Advanced - I5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz - Geil Enhance Plus 1750Mhz 8Gb - ASUS ENGTX 570 DCUII - MSI Z68aGD65 - Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B - Samsung 830 128gb and Crucial m4 128gb - much other stuff not worth mentioning

So far I haven't had any problems with w8 for me and the metro interface isn't that bad as long as you don't use the metro apps.

Is there many older games that don't work with windows 8?

I have been using windows 8 about since it came out in stores  and i have had no problems with it. All you have to do is install classic shell and change what everything opens in so its not metro and your good to go. Only game i had a problem installing so far was bioshock 2 as it used games for windows or what ever it is and that wouldn't install through steam so i had do install it myself.

It's silly to buy an old operating system when it's the same price as the new one.

Windows 8 is great.  It's basically Windows 7, just faster.  Metro can easily be hidden away entirely.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

If you're buying a new OS, go with Windows 8.

If you're installing a new OS, go with Windows 8.

if you have Windows 7 and you want to just change to Windows 8, don't bother.

IMO, Windows 8 just barely better.  Not worth upgrading, but if you have to choose between 7 and 8, may as well choose 8.

Is there many older games that don't work with windows 8?

When I first bought win 8, cod 4 didn't work, but this was fixed down the road.  I haven't encountered any more incompatibilities since.  

PS: I love windows 8, including the new metro ui.  

Hmm after this thread i'm going to get windows 8 :D it might be a bit of a learning curve but "startisback" should cure that learning curve for the most part.

I would go with windows 8 as you can make it like a windows 7, meaning, use with mouse and keyboard but you also can use touch if need be. I am waiting for windows 8 blue to see how good it is and then i will buy it, if it is good if not i will stay with windows 7.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I am waiting for a Win 8 sale, since 8.1 is coming out I am sure they will discount it

i wouldnt hold my breath why would they discount it. never seen them discount an os

i wouldnt hold my breath why would they discount it. never seen them discount an os

It was $15 dollars when it came out. They want people to switch.

Windows 8 Pro Upgrade was 40$ + You get Media Center pack, with DVD playback codec for free.

Windows 7 Pro Upgrade was 50% off.

Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade was 60% off.

Windows 7 Upgrade, both edition, allowed Windows 2000 upgrade path to Windows 7 (Upgrade did a clean install, much like with XP)

Offer was available at release on October until the last day of January.

Win 8.

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

just curious what are the improvements in w8? better performance? (w7 already runs on an ssd and boots up from sleep mode in 1second)

better file manager/copying? new task manager? ie11  :ph34r: ? i still don't see a reason to spend 50$ on it if i have to install 3d party programms anyway 

to fix it. It was developed with touch in mind so why bother on a desktop? no new directx (yes, 11.2...)

Only thing which comes to my mind, proper scaling on high resolution with 8.1

Ashratt, on 03 Jul 2013 - 8:32 PM, said:

just curious what are the improvements in w8? better performance? (w7 already runs on an ssd and boots up from sleep mode in 1second)

better file manager/copying? new task manager? ie11 :ph34r: ? i still don't see a reason to spend 50$ on it if i have to install 3d party programms anyway

to fix it. It was developed with touch in mind so why bother on a desktop? no new directx (yes, 11.2...)

Only thing which comes to my mind, proper scaling on high resolution with 8.1

Windows 8/8.1 features

-> File History - Ability to have a backup of all your personal files and folders, and go back in time to them.

-> New File collision system.

-> Faster file transfer.

-> File transfer progress with graph.

-> Ability to pause file transfer.

-> More compact File Explorer windows allowing you to view more content.

-> Ribbon bar (collapsed by default) on File Explorer.

-> new Start Screen.

-> Ability to set Font Size.

-> DPI settings per monitor.

-> Much improve multiple monitor support.

-> Windows GUI has been further optimized to runs better on lower end systems.

-> Direct X11.2.

-> Free music streaming - 30 million songs with a whole music discovery system, via XBox Music app

-> New Task Manager

-> New unified Search with web search abilities

-> Hyper-V

-> Power Menu (right-click on Start Button)

-> SkyDrive integration

-> Instant wireless connect from sleep

-> Auto switch from paid metered network to wireless, and wireless to wired. Windows will pick the best and free connection automatically.

-> Improve SSD support

-> Fast boot

-> Full UEFI support

-> System language per account

-> 3D printer API

-> Picture password (for touch screen device)

-> New BSOD screen (simpler, and more user friendly)

-> IE12

-> NFC printing

-> Wi-Fi Direct printing

-> Miracast support

-> Built-in mobile broadband tethering

-> Auto-triggered VPN support

-> Quick Screenshot with Win+Print screen (screen shot is taken and saved in pictures)

-> Virtual Fibre Channel

-> SMB 3.0 Attached Storage

-> Explorer VHD/ISO mount

-> 64 TB Dynamic Virtual Disk support

-> 64 Logical CPU support

-> 10-finger Touch support

-> Low Power Busses

-> IIS 8.0

-> Offline Domain Join

-> WMI 2.0

-> BuiltIn USB 3.0 Support

-> TPM 2.0 support

-> BuiltIn Bluetooth 4.0 Support

-> Storage Spaces

-> New Firewall with Packet Filtering

-> Hybrid Shutdown

-> Async APIs (for low powered devices)

-> Windows Refresh / Reset

-> Device Encryption and Bitlocker

and more

It was $15 dollars when it came out. They want people to switch.

this and the fact that they make some kind of money on the app store, I'll be getting another legit license and my entire environment will be android/win8