Is it bad that I only have 5GB left on my SSD?

JorenBus

Hi,

I currently have 5GB of space left on my SSD. I've heard from people that this isn't an ideal situation, and that it can slow down the SSD.

My operating system runs on that SSD. It's 128GB.

So should I remove some stuff or is it no problem to leave it this way?

Thanks

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

yeah you want at least 10% free space for TRIM to function correctly

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I only have 3GB free on my C drive. D:

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Well delete some stuff you don' need. Your downloads folder is probably full of installers that are taking up a lot of space

Well delete some stuff you don' need. Your downloads folder is probably full of installers that are taking up a lot of space

Nope, I've made sure my downloads are stored on my HDD instead of my SSD. I'll see what I can delete, thanks for the help.

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

Nope, I've made sure my downloads are stored on my HDD instead of my SSD. I'll see what I can delete, thanks for the help.

It will slow down the drive a bit once it get to a certain amount that it's filled but very minor, but you want to have some free space or your system will start popping up warnings constantly.

That being said I have <2GB of free space, if your having trouble clearing things be sure to clear all the TEMP folders in the system they can fill up quite a lot.

Hi,

I currently have 5GB of space left on my SSD. I've heard from people that this isn't an ideal situation, and that it can slow down the SSD.

My operating system runs on that SSD. It's 128GB.

So should I remove some stuff or is it no problem to leave it this way?

Thanks

Hey JorenBus,

SSDs generally require 12%-15% of free space in order to function at optimal speeds due to caching requirements. for your 128GB one I would recommend that you have around 15GB free space. It shouldn't cause problems, but the drive itself might work a bit slow. 

You could move your pagefile to another drive if you have such in your system. That should free up a decent amount of space. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Also move system restore to the hdd and turn off indexing on the ssd. That should help. And check your trash.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

Thanks a lot for the help!

yeah you want at least 10% free space for TRIM to function correctly

Thats not true at all. Trim works just fine, even if you happen to have your drive full.

And no, its not bad for the drive to be full. SSDs actually have 7% or moreof free space at all time , because its reserved for various things (like wear levelling, badblock managment...) and not accessable to user.

Extra space might improve performance a bit and lower write amplification. But nothing normal user should be concerned about or notice at all.

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

do you need more space?

CPU: i5 4670k GPU: GTX 770 Mobo: Z87-UD3H RAM: 8Gb Ripjaws Case: Corsair 200R PSU: Corsair RM750