How to get motivation

IMPERIUS

Hi!

I'm very lazy and I procrastinate. I want to learn how to photoshopx make graphic designs, video edit, render and learn to program. I start everything and spend 1h for it and then just not even open the program again although I wish I would so I need some motivation that would keep me going.

Any ideas on how to get it?

Thanks

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Same here 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

I hope you dont do everything at same time. 

My friend started to learn programming in two languages and editing in same time and than just cracked because it was too much.

I find that the best way to be motivated is the actual need to do something.

I find that I procrastinate at homework because there's nothing in it for anyone in the class, or the teachers.

Sig under construction.

Get ideas, write them down and work on them.

If you have enough ideas/inspiration you will work on it.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I find that I procrastinate at homework because there's nothing in it for anyone in the class, or the teachers.

Yeah, I learned a lot about GIMP (it's like Photoshop, but I like it better) by making stuff for others.

Thumbnails for my friend or quite a few banners for others.

When you start making stuff for others too, you feel the need to work on it more I guess.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

The probelm is that I don't NEED to do anything but I want to learn it as a hobby.

Get ideas, write them down and work on them.

If you have enough ideas/inspiration you will work on it.

I have ideas and inspiration but when I e.g. encounter a problem when I don't know how to do something I give up :(

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Let me know if you find out, I can't be bothered to try to find an answer to that.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1) Don't think of yourself as a procrastinator.

2) Don't call yourself lazy.

3) Schedule schedule schedule.

4) Get away from your computer/TV/phone.

5) Sleep at most 7 hours a day (if you're an adult; if you're a teenager then go for 8 hours).

6) Start your day off with breakfast.

7) Establish a daily routine.

It works about half the time for me. Not right now, obviously, I'm procrastinating.

The probelm is that I don't NEED to do anything but I want to learn it as a hobby.

I have ideas and inspiration but when I e.g. encounter a problem when I don't know how to do something I give up :(

don't give up. That is what lazy people would do. Trust me, I was a lazy person.

Just Google your problems or ask the forum (I could help with a bit. don't know that much about PS, but could help :D )

Hi!

I'm very lazy and I procrastinate. I want to learn how to photoshopx make graphic designs, video edit, render and learn to program. I start everything and spend 1h for it and then just not even open the program again although I wish I would so I need some motivation that would keep me going.

Any ideas on how to get it?

Thanks

I think the best way to get motivated is to spend time first in learning the program/process/whatever as much as you can. I think for many, the lack of motivation comes when too much time seems to be spent on learning something or troubleshooting  in the middle of feeling creative. Spend some time on learning a new technique in Photoshop, and as others have said, create a project for yourself that would implement that technique. When a person can rip through a project and not have to worry about having to stop in the middle to learn how to do something will keep the creativity going.

Also, you will never make progress if you try to learn too much at the same time. Spend a chunk of time learning the basics of one thing, then another, then create a small project to where you can use what you have learned to put it all in practice. I have self-taught myself everything I know about Photoshop, Web Design, programming like jQuery, etc. Once you actually know what you are doing, that's when you can push yourself to learn just a little bit more. But, the key (to me at least) is to not jump into any project without at least knowing a good chunk of what you are going to do with it; where you want to go with it.

Figure out why you're doing it and/or why you want to do it.

The more reasons and the stronger reasons you have for doing it the more motivated you should feel.

But...make sure that the reasoning is sound (that you're not just doing it because you think you should, or because someone else thinks you should, or because it's a better alternative to looking at the reality of a particular situation) etc.

Also, don't fight your nature if you find yourself just not able to get it done and just not wanting to do it. What logically may seem like the right thing to do may in fact be against your nature or at odds with what you're actually really capable of.

Don't listen too much to Tony Robbins, he can potentially lead you to learned helplessness; sometimes "I am what I am" is the best response to questions of what or who you are in life (when trying to figure out a direction). In fact, as far as I personally believe "I am what I am" is the correct answer (but only if you live an examined life and are totally honest with yourself).

The famous saying "Whether you believe you can or whether you believe you can't, you're right" is inaccurate. In fact if you believe you can't you probably won't but unfortunately it doesn't work out the other way unless you're actually capable of whatever it is you want to do.

What you can perceive, you can believe and so achieve is a cycle that can can work for reversing learned-helplessness but only if taking small steps.

Generally whatever you can achieve in life, psychology adjusts to a base level of happiness, so (unless you just really screw things up) whatever you do (all things being equal) will, after the initial success, lead you to being just as happy as if you hadn't done it in the first place. Loading yourself up with stress isn't the answer to being or feeling successful.

The caveat being that you have to do something. Doing nothing is potentially less healthy than chasing quixotic dreams.

Edit: Ultimately if it leads you to feelings of happiness and wellbeing that's going to be the strongest motivator; why people get caught up with artificial stimulants that create those types of feelings (drugs, alchohol, the heightened emotion of sex addiction...whatever,). We have the ability to rationally and intellectually understand that these things can only damage us in the mid to long and even the short term but it's still difficult to do the right thing when there's so much instant gratification all around us.

Basically no one would like the taste of coffee, or alchohol, or would want to stick needles into their arms, if they weren't conditioned to associate those things with a positive stimulus.

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

Think about why you're doing/want to do things like schoolwork, programming, etc. Ask yourself WHY? That should be your motivation. The why.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home