First PC Build with a $1500 budget with slight wiggle room

Go to solution Solved by adamsjus1,

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bpjzjX

Thats what I would think that you should go with. 

wAit hold one.  http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LYP423

Get that one. Bigger SSD  And need to add an OS. Windows 8.1

I am looking at purchasing a gaming computer with a $1500 budget with about $100 of wiggle room. I created this build and I was wondering what people on this forum thought? Hopefully my build is not too bad. Thank you in advance. I was trying to color coordinate with this build but as you can see I am terrible at it. I know there will be some opposition towards some of my decisions like choosing a H100i or the i7 being unnecessary, but I am open ears towards whatever recommendations people have. I just want to get the most out of every penny I spend.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mg9MrH

Hey welcome to the forums,

you build is good, if u add an ssd your performance will slightly increase, and also i would suggest to increase your ram upto 16gb

regards ,

sig.jpg

Welcome man. So great to have you. Great Build but needs a processor upgrade and also do a western digital black for your hard drive. You can post more thread, if you have other question or private message.

Chase B
Sound Tech and GPU Expert

Are You New? Please Click on these links to help you out. Code Of Conduct | LTT Beginners Guide 

Welcome to the forums! :D

Quote or tag us to get some attention. Follow your topics and mark them as solved when you're done.

Do you need any peripherals? What will you use the PC for?

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

The only thing I would say is get the i5 4670k for a gaming rig. An i7 won't give you alot more performance over the i5 when it comes to games. And with the money you save you could get an SSD. For Gaming all you need is 8gb. And that 980 is a great card. Even though I would honestly get the g1 gaming and if you dont have enough I would get the 970 g1 gaming mainly because back plate and it will still max out any game. 

Are you just gaming? if you will do ALOT of editing then the i7 is fine but I would say i5. 

The only thing I would say is get the i5 4670k for a gaming rig. An i7 won't give you alot more performance over the i5 when it comes to games. And with the money you save you could get an SSD. For Gaming all you need is 8gb. And that 980 is a great card. Even though I would honestly get the g1 gaming and if you dont have enough I would get the 970 g1 gaming mainly because back plate and it will still max out any game. 

Are you just gaming? if you will do ALOT of editing then the i7 is fine but I would say i5. 

If you goes with an i5 than do the 4690K. I think he will like the i7 but it is his rig. 

Chase B

Are You New? Please Click on these links to help you out. Code Of Conduct | LTT Beginners Guide 

If you goes with an i5 than do the 4690K. I think he will like the i7 but it is his rig. 

Sorry meant the i5 4690k, But if its his first build and he is just gaming it won't be worth it to get it. And I am just explaining things helping out and saying that I would go with the i5 and keep the i7 in mind for an upgrade. 

Sorry meant the i5 4690k, But if its his first build and he is just gaming it won't be worth it to get it. And I am just explaining things helping out and saying that I would go with the i5 and keep the i7 in mind for an upgrade. 

That is a heavy upgrade. Honestly I would do an i5 4690k and drop that case and go for cheaper. With all that money he can get a better SSD 

Chase B

If it's just for gaming pick up i5-4690K. Also you can go with air cooling (Noctua D14) - more quite and temps are close to h100i's on full load.

Suggestion

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($219.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($74.69 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($118.48 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Fury White Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($139.79 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($104.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card  ($549.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($95.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 660W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($137.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($87.75 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1577.55
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-19 10:04 EST-0500

"I am like ninja, but less gay" - Deadpool

If it's just for gaming pick up i5-4690K. Also you can go with air cooling (Noctua D14) - more quite and temps are close to h100i's on full load.

Suggestion

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($219.89 @ OutletPC)

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($74.69 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($118.48 @ Newegg)

Memory: Kingston Fury White Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($139.79 @ Amazon)

Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($104.99 @ Adorama)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.99 @ NCIX US)

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card  ($549.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Case: NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($95.99 @ NCIX US)

Power Supply: SeaSonic 660W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($137.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($87.75 @ OutletPC)

Total: $1577.55

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-19 10:04 EST-0500

Go with ASUS Motherboard and dont use seagate shit. Western Digital Green is way better for storage   

Chase B

Go with ASUS Motherboard and dont use seagate shit. Western Digital Green is way better for storage   

You can get the cheap western digital drives for 50$. Everyone that I know has one(know in person). 

Suggestion

I wouldn't do that If you are ever going to upgrade cooling but it is a good cooler. So you wouldn't really need to upgrade

Edit-- Actually I would go with that. I have the case its great.  I might not go the same rout but that build would work great

You can get the cheap western digital drives for 50$. Everyone that I know has one(know in person). 

He has wiggle room. If he drops the case and processor. Western might be expensive but worth every penny 

Chase B

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($199.99 @ Micro Center) 

CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler  ($64.99 @ Newegg) 

Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($118.48 @ Newegg) 

Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($99.99 @ Micro Center) 

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card  ($552.98 @ Newegg) 

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe ATX Full Tower Case  ($159.99 @ Amazon) 

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer  ($14.98 @ OutletPC) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.98 @ OutletPC) 

Other: Phanteks Multi-Color LED Strips 1 Meter Enthoo Luxe Case Upgrade (PH-LEDKT_M1) ($19.99)

Total: $1536.34

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-19 10:17 EST-0500

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($199.99 @ Micro Center) 
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler  ($64.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($118.48 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($99.99 @ Micro Center) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card  ($552.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe ATX Full Tower Case  ($159.99 @ Amazon) 
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer  ($14.98 @ OutletPC) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.98 @ OutletPC) 
Other: Phanteks Multi-Color LED Strips 1 Meter Enthoo Luxe Case Upgrade (PH-LEDKT_M1) ($19.99)
Total: $1536.34
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-19 10:17 EST-0500

A little overkill on the power supply though. 

Because the motherboard would only allow two graphics cards so even if you had two you could drop to a 750w if he is looking at ever adding another one. 

A little overkill on the power supply though. 

Because the motherboard would only allow two graphics cards so even if you had two you could drop to a 750w if he is looking at ever adding another one. 

The EVGA G2 750W and 850W are currently the same price @ $99.99.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/j3hQxr

Thats what I would do If I had a build

(Thats actually what I want to do)

If you don't want to spend that much you could drop down to the g1 gaming 970 to same like $175 i think and you could get another 1080p gaming monitor. 

Edit- And yes I know that is an expensive motherboard. But that is just what I would do. Also because the graphics card will spread heat in the case and the heat shield would actually help, maybe. 

I do plan on using this desktop purely for gaming since I already have a Asus ROG Gl77JM which will be used for all other applications. For peripherals I`m not worried about purchasing because I have 2 Acer H236hl 21.3 inch monitors, Corsair K70 RGB Cherry mx keyboard, and a Corsair M65 gaming mouse all from christmas . Alot of forums have recommended me to get a SSD but I dont have enough in my budget. I wanted a full tower because I do plan on SLI`ing another 980 into this build down the line. Also the extra room for my own water loop as well. Thank you for all the welcomes :)

I do plan on using this desktop purely for gaming since I already have a Asus ROG Gl77JM which will be used for all other applications. For peripherals I`m not worried about purchasing because I have 2 Acer H236hl 21.3 inch monitors, Corsair K70 RGB Cherry mx keyboard, and a Corsair M65 gaming mouse all from christmas . Alot of forums have recommended me to get a SSD but I dont have enough in my budget. I wanted a full tower because I do plan on SLI`ing another 980 into this build down the line. Also the extra room for my own water loop as well. Thank you for all the welcomes :)

Well with the build I put in you would have enough power for two 980 and the board would have one spacing so that you would have good airflow to the cards

I wanted a clean White layout, just something that looks clean inside this white case. I like blue, white, purple, red :)

SO it looks like people are recommending me to swap the i7-4770 with a i5-4690? You guys definitely know more about computers than I do so I shall go with that swap and add in a SSD as well, its just a matter of figuring this all out now xD

SO it looks like people are recommending me to swap the i7-4770 with a i5-4690? You guys definitely know more about computers than I do so I shall go with that swap and add in a SSD as well, its just a matter of figuring this all out now xD

I can make a different build that follows your colors just give me a minute. And yes for gaming you won't take advantage of the i7 so I would go with the i5 4690k.