What do you find more interesting...hardware or software?

Whorax

What do you guys find more interesting...hardware or software? Or neither at all?

Doesn't really matter how knowledgeable you are about either, was kind of curious as to what piqued all of you forum peoples' interests more.

Just started wondering because most of my friends are interested in the software side of things, but I personally think the hardware stuff is a lot more interesting. :P

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

Hardware is static. Software you can write to fit your every need.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Software just doesn't seem that interesting IMO. If you're programming you sit at your desk looking at lines of code for hours on end and that just doesn't seem like my kind of thing. Also, whatever you create isn't tangible, it's a bunch of 1s and 0s on whatever storage medium you're using.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

Software just doesn't seem that interesting IMO. If you're programming you sit at your desk looking at lines of code for hours on end and that just doesn't seem like my kind of thing. Also, whatever you create isn't tangible, it's a bunch of 1s and 0s on whatever storage medium you're using.

I think what interests people is that it is like a blank canvas, you can create almost infinite amounts of unique programs from just lines of code.

But it is tedious and takes skill.

System: Thinkpad T460

I disagree. It may seem boring, but unless you work at Intel or wherever, you have even less input on hardware. Take what I do for example, if an artist comes in, and I need some plugin to handle some piece they are missing to emulate the sound they want, I often will write a plugin for them. It saves them time, and I can usually get one done in two hours. Or if I'm designing a theater, I have to program the materials to respond how they do in real life to get an accurate pre-build functional design.

Edited by Prastupok

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

What is most interesting?  Both. 

For me I find the integration of software with hardware the most fascinating. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

I disagree. It may seem boring, but unless you work at Intel or wherever, you have even less input on hardware. Take what I do for example, if an artist comes in, and I need some plugin to handle some piece they are missing to emulate the sound they want, I often will write a plugin for them. It saves them time, and I can usually get one done in two hours. Or if I'm designing a theater, I have to program the materials to respond how they do in real life to get an accurate pre-build functional design.

I see what you mean. I agree that it's definitely a useful skill that I'd like to have, but I'll probably never get around to learning it unfortunately. I know there's easy ways to learn online but I just can't find the time, and let alone, the discipline, to teach myself.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

Definitely hardware. Its the reason I decided to study EE. 

i like both hence my computer engineering major.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I prefer hardware. I love it when you physically tinker with something and things happpen right before your eyes. Stuff move, the smell, and the feel.

Where as with software I find it that you write something that you want to happen. Then it either does it, or spazzes out, shooting error messages at you.

I love both...

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Hardware, because they look better :P

My PC:

Spoiler

MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max, CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock 3, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti D5 4G, Ram: 16GB (2x8) HyperX Fury DDR4, Case: NZXT S340, Psu: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W , HDD's: WD 1TB Caviar Blue, WD 256GB Scorpio Blue, WD 2TB Caviar Blue  SSD: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240Gb

Hardware. Software is fun, but it is a ton of work in order to have something perfectly functional. I'm not that patient, but i don't like code that isn't perfect.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

Hardware. Specifically the aesthetics of it. I wish I had the patience to learn how to work with Sketchup Make, I have some really good ideas for GPU coolers.

Also, CPU waterblocks. I can think of some amazing designs. Just need a way to put them down so others can see lol

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs